[Archive] dreadquake vs hellcannon?

Rettile:

I’ve read discussions with the same topic, then I realized that they talk about the old hellcannon so I’m not sure… which is the best? Personally I prefer the dreadquake because it’s not shared with other armies, but I don’t know the hellcannon’s rules… I mean, both of them use a round small template with S5, right? But the dread is armor piercing and has the quake rule, which is a nice bonus. I know that the hellcannon is a monster too, but which of these warmachines is more powerful at killing enemies at long range? And is the hellcannon good in close combat or just “meh”?

Novos:

I've read discussions with the same topic, then I realized that they talk about the old hellcannon so I'm not sure... which is the best? Personally I prefer the dreadquake because it's not shared with other armies, but I don't know the hellcannon's rules... I mean, both of them use a round small template with S5, right? But the dread is armor piercing and has the quake rule, which is a nice bonus. I know that the hellcannon is a monster too, but which of these warmachines is more powerful at killing enemies at long range? And is the hellcannon good in close combat or just "meh"?

Rettile
Personally I think it depends on what kind of list you're running. If you're going the gunline route I would take Dreadquake as it has a ridiculous range and its impossible to hide from. When enemies see that they are fighting a gunline many of them try to hide and go for a draw. But if you have a Dreadquake, let them try to hide from your insane 6' range and get blasted.

Hellcannon is better overall because it doesn't need defense and forces a leadership test at -1. That could be death for many opponents. Then of course when the enemy finally gets to you then have to deal with a moderately powerful monster on top of your destroyer. Could be really deadly.

Personally I don't use either. The best way to win is a static gunline with 2 shriekers, 2 magmas, 1 hellbound ID, and 3 wizards sniping spirit leech on leadership 9 and 10. People will die in troves.

I don't have many games in yet but I'll get back to this when I do.

Also I have the Hellcannon's 8th edition stats I can PM them to you if you want :)

Rettile:

yes please :slight_smile:

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Ikit:

I prefer the Hellcannon because, since it’s a monster, he can easily deal with the small scouts/vanguard/artillery killers and, as said Novos, the -1Ld test is a total game changer against Ogre and low Ld armies.

Yodrin:

The HC have thunder stump?

Novos:

The HC have thunder stump?

Yodrin
Absolutely does! Monster & Handler unit.

Vantraxx the Thrice Cursed:

Hellcannon has an armour save, ward save and the handler save. Once the enemy is on yoir line the hellcannon can tie up a unit with its beefy stats and the most important thing is unbreakable. I run one on my flank to firstly shoot and then get stuck in. I believe the versitility makes it win out against the quake but as a WoC general i would be biased :wink:

Loidrial:

Will the HC get the reroll from the mage or not because he is a beast and not warmachine?

Bloodbeard:

He does. It’s in the LoA FAQ.

Loidrial:

ok so always shoot with him first. got it, thx!

Grimbold Blackhammer:

The other negative to the Dreadquake Mortar is that the Ogre crewman only gets a single attack in close combat. Hellcannons can defend themselves fairly well while a mortar can’t.

Doombeard:

Out of some romantic misguided sense of nostalgia I’d still probably take a Dreadquake as I used to love the Earthshaker Cannon in 4th edition so much, and the I’d want to try and replicate the effect it could have on fast moving agile armies or large blocks of core infantry, causing real disruption on their advance. Not saying Its better or that’s the right way to go, just personally I’d enjoy playing with it if I can keep it alive and functioning

sam585:

The Hellcannon is a good mix between shooting and monster. It can holdup units as good as an Irondemon with its wardsave and its handler save and also come in at a cheaper cost. It also has a charge arc, and decent strength attacks. The problem I find with the Hellcannon tho is that it is a hybrid unit, not a true warmachine so it cant pivot on the spot, and not a true combat monster and thus lacking in the close combat damage output. Thus depending on your armies positioning you could lose a turn of shooting with your Hellcannon. The shot however is strong and if you are playing a LoA army that wants to get into CC, then you should take it over the Dreadquake for the flexability it allows you.

The Dreadquake on the other hand is nothing but a warmachine, and quite a powerful one at that. When upgraded it can have 7 wounds. This is significant in that it will at the very least take 2 cannon balls before it dies. It can be placed in a corner and still hit everything. It is the strongest warmachine of its type with str5, armor piercing, and forcing dangerous terrain checks. If you are playing a LoA army that wants to do a hard gunline take at least one. The Dreadquake mortar will always out damage the Hellcannon in the shooting phase. Lastly, the Dreadquake is the best anti-armor ranged weapons we possess, due to it having better range, and accuracy over an irondemon.

Geist:

All very true Sam, only problem is comparing an irons demon to a dread quake is apples to oranges.

Iron demons can survive combat even win them against infantry.

Dread quakes not so much.