[Archive] Dwarf Mounts

Hashut’s Blessing:

This is for “goody” Dwarfs. I’m a little tired of the whole “bear-rider” type thing for Dwarfs and am not a big fan of rams either. I want a simple and tournament legal thought on something for Dwarfs to ride (to represnt other things, such as Knights of the Realm or Knightly Orders etc.).

Anyone got any ideas for the mount type? Secondly, any thoughts on tourney-legal methods of obtaining/making them without too much hassle/effort?

zobo1942:

What about mountain goats?

Animals

I saw a few of them on the hills at the side of the highway a few days ago. Might make a better mount than a mountain sheep, I think…

GRNDL:

Wiener dogs.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

dncswlf:

Wiener dogs.

GRNDL
Bwahahaah  perfect!  

seriously though, I have boar riders from some distributer.. Can't remember right now.. Zanko would know, he has the steam tank from them too...  they have hand weapons, or hand guns... heavy armor and no armor...  I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about...

Da Crusha:

i saw some pics of some dwarf cavalry in tales of war magazine. the good dwarfs were riding bulls, they were used as knights of chaos. Im not sure if they were conversions or not.

Shakhorth:

Perhaps something like this? :slight_smile:

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250713106989&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Nicodemus:

Yeah, either ponies that are proportioned like draft horses and all armoured up, etc or something mechanical. Definitely not Juggers, but something similar with a Dawi slant to them, maybe clockwork draft ponies. If you could make one really good one and then cast it you’d be all set!!

~N

GRNDL:

Wiener dogs.

GRNDL
Bwahahaah  perfect!  
seriously though,

dncswlf
I was being serious. I'm sorry if you can't visualize the sweeping grandeur of the suggestion.

zobo1942:

Weiner dogs, eh? My inlaws have four of those blasted things.

A special rule could be the opponent, when entering combat, needs to take an immediate leadership test or leave the battlefield in disgust and extreme irritation. Oh, unless they’re dwarfs, in which case they’ll pummell them with empty beer cans causing an immediate flee reaction in the little bastards.

Obsidian:

Some old Warhammer rpg books showed Dwarf boar riders on the cover. Mechanical versions of those would be cool!

nitroglysarine:

Some thing like the empire engineer steam horse?

obviously more beefy than the empire one!

Baggronor:

Mechano-striders? :wink: Like the Gnomes in WoW

Hashut’s Blessing:

Lots of responses :smiley: Always good to see. Excepting “Weiner dogs”, by which I presume you mean sausage dogs, a.k.a. Daschunds, I’d thought of most of these myself, but was unsure how best to go about making them simply and tourney legally :smiley:

zobo1942: by rams, I was trying to cover both sheep and goats :wink:

I’m thinking it’s most likely going to have to be mechanical, but I wouldn’t want the mounts in question to look like cyborgs, nor look like their profile would be better than that of a horse :smiley:

I was thinking I may go for a mismash of mechmounts (try saying that several hundred times quickly :smiley: ), using the Empire Clockwork Horse (God, I hate the concept of that for humans, lol), an Ironback Boar (but don’t think that there’s a current model), maybe an Ironclad Rhinox (like the one made for Ghark Ironskin) and so on… The problem therein is that the work necessary to make such “critters” seems like it will be immense as it would most likely need to be scratchbuilt for the tourney-legal part of it…

zobo1942:

What about something like a musk ox?

http://wblrd.sk.ca/~gregory/arctic/Amuskox.html

You could probably buy some plastic cows and just cover them in greenstuff - that may be (fairly) easy…

Also, it’s fantasy! Riding around on robots doesn;t seem to fit, but maybe that’s just me…

Baggronor:

Well, there’s always the Chopper :slight_smile: If they can do it in WoW…

I would post a screen of my Dwarf Warrior (imaginatively called Baggronor) zooming along with his goggles on, but I can’t find one atm.

Grimstonefire:

Presuming it is a Dwarf Lord, and not Thorgrim, for it to be tournament legal the only mount you can use has to be 20x40mm does it not?

It would be possible to make something out of the dwarf cannon as a simple steam platform type base that would fit.

That, or use the deathroller :wink:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat490007a&prodId=prod1100060

You could use DoW Maneaters, and do pretty much anything mounted on 40mm. A dwarf fighting from the back of an ogre would be pretty interesting actually, it could have dwarf made armour.

Baggronor:

It says he wants them to count as knights, so presumably not for use in an actual Dwarf list. Maybe allies?

dncswlf:

No, it really is perfect! I have Dachsunds! I can totally picture it!

Wiener dogs.

GRNDL
Bwahahaah  perfect!  

seriously though,

dncswlf
I was being serious. I’m sorry if you can’t visualize the sweeping grandeur of the suggestion.

GRNDL

Zanko:

What about these guys?

Imo there are very cool different units - one should please you! :wink:

… and this is the link to the West Wind Production webside!

:hashut

dncswlf:

Pigs, and Lions, and Rams, oh my!

lol

wow… that’s some variety!