[Archive] "Dwarf" Rune Priest from AoW

nitroglysarine:

Agreed.

It just such a wavy line its hard to know if I happen to sculpt something that looks like another model that I might have never seen that I could still infringe. It kinda puts me off the idea of sculpting my own, sad I know.

cornixt:

As I was writing the post above I remembered the Runesmith thing. So I plugged “rune priest” into google and got a load of links about a Warhammer Online character type (and some Space Wolf stuff too), so it is still very GW.

Rune Master is still rather odd though, since he doesn’t look particularly rune-y to me. Wizard, mage, magician, sorcerer, all would have been generic enough to be completely safe and still very appropriate for the model, which is nicely original compared to some of his almost-exact replicas of GW stuff that he has previously done (although he has done quite a few now that aren’t so obviously “inspired” by GW). IP is a big grey area, so I’m surprised that some companies choose to fly so close to the wind while others manage to easily to avoid problems.

nitroglysarine:

I think it might come from a list of how many times have they “infringed” before - maybe?

Thommy H:

Yeah, despite everything I said, I actually think this model is fine. It actually looks nothing like any of GW’s Runesmith models, so even if it does have a similar name, it’s probably not a problem. If I were Felix though, I’d at least make a stab at going in a totally different direction. I know the models are allegedly from his own fantasy setting, but when you have “Daemons” and warrior priests with big templar crosses all over them and hammers in their hands…yeah…he’s not fooling anyone.

Baggronor:

If I were Felix though, I'd at least make a stab at going in a totally different direction.
What he needs is a writer! :)

Xander:

This model works great for a Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer!

Thommy H is right when he speaks of product confusion as the main point.  Models that share a resemblance and have the same name as a GW product cause confusion to the consumer.  One should bare in mind that the GW legal team has three legs (really only 2) it can stand on: Copyrights - illegal duplication of their works; Trademarks - other companies selling a similar product using the same name; and Patents - a registered process or method for creating something (this likely doesn’t apply, unless GW holds some mold making or casting process patent that some other company is trying to replicate).

So it’s pretty simple - don’t copy a GW model, sculpt your own.  Sell it with a unique name to avoid confusion.  If you follow this, you are fine.

People should bare in mind that the term Intellectual Property is a bit of a misnomer that attempts to wrap together Copyrights, Trademarks and Patents.  In a court, you have to prove that one of these 3 things is being infringed.

There really isn’t any IP law, which is why there are tons of knock-off products in every market for every kind of thing.  Tons of knock-off iMusicPlayers, knock-off Oreo cookies, knock-off books, etc.  These things are sold in stores - legally. Whether you think such products are distasteful for mimicking successful ideas or simply inexpensive alternatives, that’s your call and you can support whoever you want with your money.  That’s what it means to be in a free market. :wink:

People will buy knock-offs for a couple of reasons.  Either they are significantly cheaper, or they are of better quality.  In AoW’s case the latter is more true than the former, I think (except for their plastics, which hit both marks).

I think competition is healthy for business and that’s where I’ll leave it.  

(This turned out to be a bit long winded, oops)

Thommy H:

The central issue in IP legislation (by which I mean, as Xander correctly points out, the body of laws that go into copyright, trademarks and patents) is the difference between a functional item and an artistic work. Yesterday, the guy who designed the helmets for Imperial Stormtroopers in Star Wars was awarded the legal right to sell versions of it in the UK without giving George Lucas a penny. This was because they were deemed (inexplicably…) to be functional objects rather than works of art. You can make knock-off Oreos and knock-off parts for cars because they’re functional - they things to do stuff with. You can’t sell knock-off sequels to novels though.

The jury is literally still out on whether wargaming miniatures are functional or artistic - this is the cornerstone of Chaperhouse’s case. If they’re nothing more than fancy gaming pieces, anyone can produce anything they like to play the same game, and there is no protection the law can give. If, as GW contest, they’re artistic works then anything too similar is a derived work, and therefore belongs to them.

Xander:

An excellent point!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Da Crusha:

Im not a big fan of this model. particularly the helmet.

Nebuchandnezzar:

I think this model looks fantastic, although one problem. I like to have a consistant look to my armies so I’m not surehow this will work along side the new WF releases, either way its still a great model :smiley:

Admiral:

I think this model looks fantastic, although one problem. I like to have a consistant look to my armies so I'm not surehow this will work along side the new WF releases, either way its still a great model :D

Nebuchandnezzar
I wouldn't worry too much about it (and especially not the scale, although I understand you meant his appearance). Paint a lot of him in your uniform red and iron colours and you should be well off. After all, different armour style is simply a sign of status. Wizard models tend to stand out from the crowd in most armies, since they're from a separate society or guild than average Jack and Joe. Perhaps you'd like to redo his boot protection into the angular, pointy variant found on the FW Chaos Dwarfs, but otherwise he should fit in fine.

Nebuchandnezzar:

Hmm, hadn’t thought of it that way although I will wait until the sorcerer on great taurus is released from WF and then I’ll consider him if they look similar. Thanks for the idea for the feet swap as I do have a miscast crew with some spare feet he wouldn’t mind ‘donating’…MUHAHAHA!!!