[Archive] Dwarfs(1)

BilboBaggins:

You could call GW for a ruling.

Wait, what am I saying, you have to call several times to see how many different rulings you get and go with the most common. :o

I’ve heard of people calling and getting one answer, calling 10 minutes later getting a different answer. They called a third time another 20 minutes later and got a third answer. The best part it was a yea or nay type question. :hat

Why couldn’t I be rich enough to buy GW, but would I want the headaches.

Ancient History:

I’ve put the bulk of the rule-based arguments into a new page under the “Debates” section of the wiki: [[Dispel Dice]]. Note that this does not include the long-winded, tiresome, and mostly pointless griping and arguing around previous editions, fluff, and whether or not “racial” rules exist and apply in Warhammer - if you feel that you can’t live without that, at least try to make the code, grammar, and spelling neat so that no one has to clean up after you.

tjub:

Firstly you probably had alot of members who thought it best not to get involved because we had admins and mods making what could be taken as a threat.

CheTralfara
Jösses, this arguing is pointless and you just dont want to take no for an answere.
That was a stupid thing to say considering the last few weeks....

X-Porter:

Seriously?

This again?

Dwarfs get the extra dispel dice.

Chaos Dwarfs don’t get the extra dice.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Willmark:

The Staff is watching this thread VERY CAREFULLY, keep that in mind everyone…

Canix:

I missed this thread! Well here in English GT to use Chaos Dwarfs you have to use the dwarf book so my CD sometimes get the 2 DD :stuck_out_tongue:

With friends of course i use the RH lists and wouldnt even consider Chaos Dwarf get the 2 DD :smiley:

Circulatory arguements are pointless friends and GW will take awhile to clarify this with a armybook :hat

Xander:

I wasn’t able to contribute thoughts on this last time, but I will weigh in here this one time.

RAW is irrelevant because our “Army List” was put together before either the 6th or 7th edition rules were published. Officially, Chaos Dwarfs have no rules. We have a list that manages to work with current rules with some fiddling.

All pre-6th Army Books were, in essence, directly translated into a condensed, Ravening Hordes format. In this booklet, that encompassed all armies, Dwarfs got a bonus, Chaos Dwarfs did not. It’s really that simple. They haven’t written new rules for Chaos Dwarfs since that time. We are lucky to have a playable list, and the intentions of that list were quite clear as to whether we get bonus magic defence or not.

cornixt:

I thought this had all been resolved, so I’ve resisted. The RAW argument really isn’t as clear-cut in the direction that Che makes out. There are two relevent quotes from the 7th ed rulebook:

Under Dispel Dice:

"With an army of Dwarfs, an inately magic-resistant race, the player may add two more dice"

and the Dispel Dice Pool table:

Dwarfs  +2

Analysis

The first quote refers to “an army of Dwarfs”. Not “an army containing or consisting of Dwarfs”.

The latter quote simply says “Dwarfs”. Not “armies containing or consisting of Dwarfs”.

The Dwarf army book says in the introduction “This book deals with the armies of Dwarfs”. It does not include the Chaos Dwarf army, so the Chaos Dwarf army is not an army of Dwarfs.

The crux of the issue is that “Dwarfs” is the name of a race, a racial type, and an army. Chaos Dwarfs fit only into the racial type. The rules regarding dispel dice refer to the army.

Conclusion

The dispel dice rules do not apply to the Chaos Dwarf army. They only apply to the Dwarf army using the rules in the Dwarf army book

There are quite a few other bits and pieces that support this, although they don’t really count under RAW (such as how Chaos Dwarfs are listed under “Other Races”, which means they are not the same race as Dwarfs, p202)

Servius:

------

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

dedwrekka:

I wasn't able to contribute thoughts on this last time, but I will weigh in here this one time.

RAW is irrelevant because our "Army List" was put together before either the 6th or 7th edition rules were published.  Officially, Chaos Dwarfs have no rules.  We have a list that manages to work with current rules with some fiddling.

All pre-6th Army Books were, in essence, directly translated into a condensed, Ravening Hordes format.  In this booklet, that encompassed all armies, Dwarfs got a bonus, Chaos Dwarfs did not.  It's really that simple.  They haven't written new rules for Chaos Dwarfs since that time.  We are lucky to have a playable list, and the intentions of that list were quite clear as to whether we get bonus magic defence or not.

Xander
RAW even gets a little funny with Chaos Dwarfs. For instance! Show me where in the Army List or Main Rulebook that Chaos Dwarf characters can take magic items other than a magic banner.

That one had to be Fan-FAQ'd in for a while.

Thommy H:

RAW even gets a little funny with Chaos Dwarfs. For instance! Show me where in the Army List or Main Rulebook that Chaos Dwarf characters can take magic items other than a magic banner.

dedwrekka
Page 2 of Ravening Hordes.

two_heads_talking:

In my not so humble opinion, only a rules lawyer would even bother bringing up the army of dwarf issue. Someone trying to get an advantage that’s not there.

Plain and simple. I hate rules lawyers, just in case that isn’t obvious.

(added as an afterthought) It’s also a reason by Gw is currently going towards self contained books. No more having to refer to 3 other books for your rules. But rather, one book, all the rules, one codex/army book, all the special rules for that army. It will keep the rules lawyering down a bit, but unfortunately a jerk is a jerk and will always find a way to insert his way into every interpretation.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Rules lawyers kill games! IMHO

BilboBaggins:

Rules lawyers kill games! IMHO

Tarrakk Blackhand
AMEN.

Wasn't Shakespere who who in one of his plays "First thing we do is kill all the lawyers."

Thommy H:

Wasn't Shakespere who who in one of his plays "First thing we do is kill all the lawyers."
A murderous villain says it in Henry VI, Part 2. It wasn't advice.

BilboBaggins:

A murderous villain says it in Henry VI, Part 2. It wasn't advice.

Thommy H
It sure sounded like it sould be.

The joke around here:
Q: What is a 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the Ocean.
A: A good start.

Maul:

Step away from this topic. Is is one of those black holes that few should wander down.

Servius:

------

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Ghrask Dragh:

Thats slaves for Servius!! Laughed my ass off like you wouldn’t believe :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thommy H:

Ok Che... I'm bringing out the big guns..
Did he put up another reply?

C'mon, let's not be children about this: there's no need to rub anyone's face in whatever conclusions can be drawn from this thread. Haven't there been enough hissy fits on this forum recently? Why you wanna go make someone throw another, eh?