[Archive] Earthshaker decision

GRNDL:

Last year I bought a classic Big Hat Earthshaker (Thank you Canix!) and now have finally gotten around to building and painting it and have developed a bit of a quandary.

Obviously, the earthshaker has “wooden” wheels and the CDs don’t really have good access to wood, so I was thinking of swapping them out for something more industrial, or modifying them to look like metal plates. My quandary is this: I’m of the mind of keeping as much of the original model in its original form as possible, so it remains a "classic model."

Just wondering what peep’s thoughts on keeping the classics, the classics, or soup them up?

:hat off

Border Reiver:

Both of mine have the “classic” wheels - and the platform is also definitely wood (and unless the wood from the Dark Lands is alot tougher than anything on this planet, way too thin to withstand the stresses of an artillery piece of that size), so I’m biased.

On the other hand if your modelling skills are up to it what were you thinking of? I can be persuaded to change my mind.

Da Crusha:

If I have a problem with a classic model I will convert it. I have done it to many of my cds already with weapon swaps and creating standards.

GRNDL:

I was thinking of puttying up the wood grain on the wheels - probably not on the main cannon - so they looked like metal plate. Or use 40k steel wheels instead of the ones that come with it. Not major conversion, just enough to give it a consistent industrial look.

tjub:

I built an old Squat army with alot of smaller conversions, old models or not I say do convert! But IMO do the old model justice… :slight_smile:

Bolg:

there is a big differens between chopping classic models in half and building a great convertion with some old parts. Go ahead and make something beautiful. (and give us pictures).

having unpainted models stashed away somewhere is a bigger crime!

nitroglysarine:

try it out, just don’t cut if you can, if you don’t pop it in some acetone, and walla, you can start over again.

Thommy H:

Why wouldn’t Chaos Dwarfs have access to wood? They can go and capture slaves from all over the world in their ironclad fleet but they can’t cut some lumber while they’re there?

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I’d say to keep it original. Even though it’s wooden, it might have been built in a time when the CD’s traded for and used wood.

Also, if in future, you ever wanted to sell it again, original value is always worth more.

Vash:

if it is something simple, like a change in wheels, i guess it can’t be called heresy. even though originals are higher valued on the market, i would never sell anything that i have modified for whatever reason.

i cut up some old Slann models while making my GT army… i needed banners and musicians and there were none in the original line of models.

warh:

Why wouldn't Chaos Dwarfs have access to wood? They can go and capture slaves from all over the world in their ironclad fleet but they can't cut some lumber while they're there?

Thommy H
your right. the chaos dwarfs probably have some slaves cutting wood somewhere outside of the dark lands:idea

wallacer:

I would imagine CD could get their hands on virtually anything they wanted.

Abecedar:

Please don’t cut up the original, you probably got it because you did like it. As the others said cover-ups don’t destroy the inherent value of the old and can be reversed.

… Or use 40k steel wheels instead of the ones that come with it. Not major conversion, just enough to give it a consistent industrial look.

GRNDL
I can’t believe I didn’t think 40k wheels before. I’ve been stuck on making "authentic looking ones for my scratch built hellcannon for well over a year and have finally decided on how to start doing it and you go and say that. Got so focused on making my own that the blinkers were almost closed.

nitroglysarine:

I would imagine CD could get their hands on virtually anything they wanted.

wallacer
"bring me a skull of my enemy so i can drink out of it, what do you mean the eye holes leak?, bring me the head of a enemy with no eyes!"

Loki:

I say keep it, nothing wrong with CDs using wood, you could paint some runes on it and say that the runes make it as hard as steel :slight_smile: