[Archive] ebay

Doombeard:

im sure everyones seen the extorniate prices on ebay recently

i believe with a bit of teamwork we can beat the system and dominate the ebay market if a few like minded individuals pool resources and put in a bit of time and effort

step one - eliminate competition

- buy up all the chaos dwarf stuff for a month or two dont let the competition get a single hobgoblin or centaur

-watch the competition dry up until their stocks are diminished

step two

-list everything at a FAIR price offering discounts to CDO /hoh users

-continue buying up all the cd’s on ebay -

i estimate it would take 3/4 of us to put in maybe around 1000 pounds and take around 3-6 months on ebay (and a lot of time and effort in the dispatch process) but surely its worth it to stop this terrible extortion racket on ebay . how sweet would it be to sort this out !

ideas?

Thommy H:

What’s to stop one person just keeping the stuff they buy? Let’s face it: the less Chaos Dwarf stuff there is out there, the more the prices are going to rise. There’s not much we can do about it. The only real issue is a couple of ebay stores charging way above the price curve right now, but eventually they’ll be forced to capitulate to supply-and-demand: no one is going to pay �23 for one figure, and that’s why sellers like essexgirl have had to continually relist such items. If they want to make a profit, they’ll have to drop prices.

The best way to combat unscrupulous sellers is to not pay their prices. Don’t cave to the pressure of thinking there’s no other way to get the figure you want - you’ll find good deals as long as you check regularly and bid wisely.

Plus, I’d encourage people to use this forum to deal between collectors of Chaos Dwarfs as much as possible. That way you know you’re getting things from people you trust (or at least can check up on) and who have the same interests as you regarding your army of choice.

Doombeard:

how do you mean one person keeping the stuff they buy? how would this hinder the plan - if one person does decide to keep the stuff they buy for whatever crazy reason they could possibly have for owning a �1000 worth of chaos dwarf stuff then fair play to them and someone new would just have to come into the syndicate to replace them . it doesnt really matter if anyone keeps stuff as long as its off the market so the scrupulous sellers cant get at it

and it is that drying up of the market that will diminish their stocks and unltimately put them out of chaos dwarf business do you not agree?

Thommy H:

how do you mean one person keeping the stuff they buy? how would this hinder the plan - if one person does decide to keep the stuff they buy for whatever crazy reason they could possibly have for owning a �1000 worth of chaos dwarf stuff then fair play to them and someone new would just have to come into the syndicate to replace them

iamahobgoblin
But there's a finite supply of these models - if one member of this group keeps the stuff they've bought (instead of selling it back at a loss, which is your plan, it seems) then that takes hundreds of pounds worth of CD models out of circulation: a somewhat worse situation than them being available at high prices.

And why would someone not want to keep what they pay for? I think that's the number one risk, isn't it? I know if I had �1,000 worth of Chaos Dwarf figures sitting on my kitchen table it'd be pretty tempting to just keep it for myself. Particularly as I'd paid for them in the first place...
it doesnt really matter if anyone keeps stuff as long as its off the market so the scrupulous sellers cant get at it
and it is that drying up of the market that will diminish their stocks and unltimately put them out of chaos dwarf business do you not agree?
Don't you think that a lot of people would see a group of us buying up the whole stock of remaining CD models ourselves kind of unscrupulous too though? I mean, you're obviously drawing a moral line between 'us' and 'them', but anyone outside our group probably isn't going to see us as any better, since we'll be denying them the chance to buy the things they want.

Doombeard:

yeah but we’ll only be denying them the chance temporarily and once they come on sale at a fair price they will be happy . you only have to see how many times essex girls name is mentioned on this site to see how many hundreds of people she has ****ed off .

if you want 1000 worth of chaos dwarf stuff why dont you just buy it !

you seem a little objectional to my idea but have you really thought through the implications it could have to everybody here and into the hobby

Thommy H:

I’ve thought it through - I just think you may be being slightly naive. It relies on an awful lot of goodwill from the community and, let’s face it, we’re all in this to get more figures for our armies. You’re introducing a new middle man to the process and that’s not something most CD collectors are likely to appreciate. You’re also asking people to make a major investment here, since your whole plan is based on buying up the stock for high prices and selling it back to the community for low ones - that means that anyone who buys into this will automatically be losing money. It’s asking a lot.

As I’ve said, the best way to combat sellers like essexgirl is just to not buy from them. As soon as her practices become unprofitable, she’ll stop buying. Remember that she buys above the market price (because she wins the auctions) and then sells back for higher prices; in effect, she can bid what she wants as long as her asking price later on is higher. Now, if she doesn’t sell for that price then her business will become unfeasible, and she’ll be forced to back down, or at least stop buying up more stock since she can’t shift the existing stuff.

Doombeard:

you may loose money in the short term but in the long term i think the business would thrive. im not into making a huge profit as long s the miniatures pay for themselves im happy

anybody who can get exclusive rights to a prooved market is bound to flourish and grow. seeing as im doing this alone so far i am starting off with the hobbos and maybe 6months down the line i will branch out into big hats . ill let you know how i fare maybe your right and im going to loose all my hard earned bucks we shall see my friend

Thommy H:

Hey, more power to you if you want to do it. I look forward to being able to buy CD figures from you at reasonable prices somewhere down the line, but unless you manage to buy at least 50% of the figures you obtain for less than the prices for which you intend to sell them then you’re going to be out of pocket.

I salute your dedication to making CDs available at good prices - Hashut knows we need it - but there’s no way I could invest any real income in a scheme like this, and I think most people here will feel the same way. You’re talking about starting a business here.

wallacer:

Yeah, i’d love to spend piles of my own money just to help artificially regulate the market for other people.

I don’t think eBay is the place to try and embrace communist market control systems.

Willmark:

Yeah, i'd love to spend piles of my own money just to help artificially regulate the market for other people.

I don't think eBay is the place to try and embrace communist market control systems.

wallacer
LMAO this is too funny!

Doombeard:

all you need is a bit of vision and foresight to see how well this could work out !

Thommy H:

Yes, it could work - indeed, the plan as it stands will work exactly as you say it will. The problem is not that it’s a bad plan, but rather that you’re asking an awful lot of people to invest in something like this.

I like Chaos Dwarfs - that’s why I’m here - but there’s only so much money I can spend on anything Warhammer-related and, while I can give up plenty of time to help this community, I haven’t yet reached the stage where I have the financial security to invest hundreds of pounds in a project motivated by pure altruism. I’m fairly sure most people here feel the same way.

Good for you if you have the money and motivation to do this and I’ll happily purchase reasonably-priced things from you in the future if this works out, but there’s no way I could invest in what amounts to a small business.

Willmark:

We live in capitalist societies (I assume, since I haven’t seen anyone posting from North Korea here).

While I have lurked here for a while and feel this is a great forum (hence my recently joining), I’m out to start a Chaos Dwarf force. Since we know the fate of most models and eBay is the only place to go that means several things:

1) You pay whatever the price you wish to pay.

2) If its too high priced… don’t buy it.

3) Artificial price controls are doomed to failure in such a system as eBay

Lastly I have seen essexgirl’s name bandied about. What is her exact eBay id? I have the money to start outbidding her and regularly at that. That should teach her! :slight_smile:

Thommy H:

“theessexgirl”

Willmark:

To quote Buffalo Bill from “Silence of the Lambs”: “Lady, you don’t know what pain is”

Dracomancer:

Argh, just looked at her feedback page, she has quite the fanbase it would seem… :~

Willmark:

Wow no kidding! Is it simply a case of her prices being so high or is there more to it then that?80.00 for a tenderizer? Wow I’m in the wrong line of work!

Dracomancer:

Wow no kidding! Is it simply a case of her prices being so high or is there more to it then that?

Willmark
Well, Essex girl by name... :o :P
Its annoying thought, as she has loads of games day stuff I really want (FW Slann, want SO much...), but the prices are too much, bugger...

Doombeard:

ok so i just obtained some useful information from the essexgirl as to how much chaos dwarf stuff she has in stock

heres her inventory

Hello,

I have conducted a quick inventory of my Chaos Dwarf stuff:

Blunderbuss: 5 full sets (35) & 48 other figures.

Bull Centaur: 3 x MIB, 4 conversions & 23 others (incl Standard Bearer)

Lord on Great Taurus: 3

Sorcerer on Lamassu: 3

Death Rocket: 4

Earth Shaker cannon: 2

Hero with Axe 2: 2

Standard Bearer 2: 2

Leader 1: 3

Leader 2: 3

Warriors with Axe: 10 (metal)

Warriors (plastic):

Tenderiser: 2

Whirlwind: 2

Hobgoblin Archers: 5

Hobgoblin Big Boss 2: 1

Hobgoblin Hero on Wolf: 2

Hobgoblin Standard Bearer 1: 1

Hobgoblin Warriors: 15 (incl Standard Bearer)

Hobgoblin Wolfboyz: 12 (incl Std Bearer (x2), Hero (complete),Big Boss & Hero (incomplete)).

she thinks i am going to buy it all hahahahahaha

Nehan:

haha, I’ve more hobgoblins then essexgirl :cheers