[Archive] Empire War Altar

ross_lionheart:

Whats the best way of dealing with this?

My opponent is going to use it as part of his army during our next game :slight_smile:

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/empire/gaming/specialcharacters/volkmar.htm

Border Reiver:

It’s a chariot - Bull Centaur Hero with a great weapon and the Gauntlet of B the Cruel is my preferred option. Option 2 involves warmachines. Option 3 - Lore of Shadows and Pit of Shades…

Uzkul Werit:

If you went with the Bull Centaur route, remember that the silly person using it most likely has the Van Spectrum on the Arch Lector. Your best bet is to just shoot the darned thing.

Border Reiver:

Sometimes though, you’ve got to roll the hard six.

Uzkul Werit:

True but it’s much safer to get it with a S8 hit from an Earthshaker.

You know what would be really handy on the Bolt Throwers for this? A Rune of Penetration.

ChaosStunty:

True but it's much safer to get it with a S8 hit from an Earthshaker.
You know what would be really handy on the Bolt Throwers for this? A Rune of Penetration.

Uzkul Werit
And I want a box of chocolates.

grupax:

if you use gauntlets and a +2 strenght weapon you dont even need to worry about the speculum as you will still have str 7, just less attacks…, just hope he doesn’t wardsave :stuck_out_tongue:

Baggronor:

if you use gauntlets and a +2 strenght weapon you dont even need to worry about the speculum as you will still have str 7, just less attacks..., just hope he doesn't wardsave :p
You will have a shot at smashing the altar but its rolling to hit vs higher WS and it has a 4+ ward. He then annihilates you with the BC lord's 5 attacks at S5+ whatever the lector has. Not good. :)

Just shoot it. Its safer. Or feed it Hobgoblins and divert.

Ancient History:

One possible tactic is a Hobgoblin hero (mounted on a wolf, natch) with the Dark Mace of Death who aims at the horses - horses die, then the Altar is stuck. You still have to deal with the Arch Lector, but let’s be honest, a Hobgoblin hero is pretty much the safest character for the 'lector to waste the Speculum on.

qwe50:

No the best way is to charge it with a unit of bull centaurs with no champion - they have enough attacks to kill the Arch Lector.

Heroes are a bad idere (less than 25% chance to kill the alter) and you shooting will likely go for the tank so use BC’s.

Renufus:

One possible tactic is a Hobgoblin hero (mounted on a wolf, natch) with the Dark Mace of Death who aims at the horses - horses die, then the Altar is stuck. You still have to deal with the Arch Lector, but let's be honest, a Hobgoblin hero is pretty much the safest character for the 'lector to waste the Speculum on.

Ancient History
Not to mention that Hobgoblin Heroes can only carry 50 points worth of magical gear!

Chaos Dwarfs are ironically more spoiled for choice than most armies when dealing with the Cheese Wagon. However, you have to be careful when dealing with it as it depends a lot on what is in the rest of the army.

If your opponent is a real knob and is running the Holy Cannonball Brigade (3 or 4 cannons, Waltar, 2 ST, min sized handgunners, wizards) then don't expect your war machines to last very long. Using the Earthshaker offensively to try and shut down his cannon battery definitely relieves some of the pressure, as does spreading your war machines out in your deployment zone. If you can get a clean shot off on the Altar with your Death Rocket, take it. You might just get lucky and blow it up. Bolt Throwers and Metal Magic (if you happen to be running a Sorc Lord like I am) are more than capable of dealing with steam tanks so you don't need to worry much about those.

I would be cautious of throwing  a S7 character into the mix as most Altar priests are packing VHS and the Gorgon Shield (-1A for a model in B2B ), along with the sword of +1S & ASF. For this reason, I'd also be careful throwing Bull Centaurs at it, as with hatred he's quite capable of offing two of them before they even get a chance to strike and taking an attack away from a third.

The best and most reliable way I've found of dealing with it is to pin it in place with CD Warriors or (preferably) Hobgoblins while the rest of your army goes after the real threats. For the first few turns my Earthshaker is preoccupied with cannon and handgunner shutdown duty (until my Steed of Shadows'ed Hobgoblin ninja and wolf riders can take care of them) and my Rockets, Bolt Throwers, and magicians are directed towards the steam tanks. Blunderbusses and Archers are there to protect my war machines from being attacked by a pegasus captain or pistoliers and hold onto my table quarters. Once all the support elements are out of the way only then will I throw all I can at the Altar and hope it goes down. Even sneaky gitz are good for this as their poison bypasses its high toughness.

Good luck dealing with this thing. It's a real pain in the butt.