[Archive] Fan Lists - We want your PDFs for CDO!

Xander:

I want to make a section on the Site, Forum and Wiki for fan created lists. These need way more exposure than they are currently getting.

If you would like your list to be featured please create a PDF for it! If you need help with this, Grim or Willmark may be able to help you.

Once you are done the list, email it to me, davidjclarke@gmail.com along with a blurb describing your motivations and reasons for making the army list like you have. I will then make some new sections devoted to these, and perhaps make some sub forums for play-testing results.

I would appreciate any other advice with respect to this idea.

Cheers,

-Xander

Grimstonefire:

I think this is a great idea.  I must have read at least 10 different fan lists over the years, and have done several myself.  Each one is different, and you can have hours of fun borrowing ideas to create your own fanlist!

Playtesting of ideas is a good thing, and will no doubt prove great fun for people wanted something a little different out of a game.

I know I can certainly create a pdf of whatever you want, and I assume Willmark can do the same(?)  Just pm one of us with the details of the format it’s in and the order of pages/ sections if its based over several documents.

I wouldn’t want to do layout for people unless there was no other way, it takes ages and it may not be what the person wants anyway.  So try to make sure its completely finished, and preferably within one document.

If I do it I’ll email it back to you, so you will have to upload it here (or pm Xander).

@Xander

The key thing for things like this is to people to make sure the layout is perfectly clear, also to provide a simple list of entries in the opening thread so people can see quickly at a glance what’s in the list.

Grish:

I have a list. But it is for vampires. And its main purpose is to take vampires out of the equation, as vampires are lame. Undead however, are great.

I still think it would be a worthwhile addition to CD, as they are lacking in zombies. Every army can benefit from zombies.

@Grim: I’ve read two lists of yours I believe (one from your own website, and the one you posted on here). I find it priced pretty good, but thorough playtesting would be required. Have you done much playtesting yourself on the army list?

Grimstonefire:

None yet on my second version, though I have updated with info I got back from the first.

A Zombie Chaos Dwarf army could make for a fun list!

I assume this section of Xanders would be for fun variant lists as well(?)

Xander:

Grim is indeed correct, make sure the list is complete and very readable. Layouts that are easy to follow are encouraged. There will be some very basic standard that have to be met before we will post the list.

I know Grim has a list, and Revlid has one as well. We should strive to get these as PDFs. :slight_smile:

Grish:

Perhaps devoting a sub-forum to each particular list that warrants discussion would be appropriate, to better organize issues people have with units and explanations. In each sub-forum, list as a whole could be discussed, as well as individual units/tactics. In essence, you are creating a new army list (which whole forums are generally devoted to).

Xander:

It could be for whatever we want really, but for starters let’s get some CD lists.

Grimstonefire:

I think the best way to do it for now is to have a single thread devoted to each new list.

That would be sufficient for rules discussion if the person whose thread it is keeps a note somewhere of good suggestions.  Feedback on fluff and wider issues (concept art/ conversions) you can still get in the other sections of the forum.

Obviously we will credit people with their creations, this would simply be a way of encouraging people to discuss and share ideas.

Once your list is immortalised in pdf it will be fairly obvious if people try and copy your stuff word for word.

Grimstonefire:

I might be an idea actually to produce a blank template for people to use in creating their lists.

Something simple in word with all the boxes and sections set out for options and stats etc.

I.E

We could load a Word document version on with spaces for 6 Lords (including special characters), 7 heroes (including special characters), 8 core, 8 special, 4 rare etc.

People use what they need and leave empty the boxes they don’t need.  Then when Willmark or I get it we delete all the blank boxes and save as a pdf.  One word document that’s already laid out properly would be very quick to do.

You would then have a load of pages afterwards with sections laid out for unique special rules, how warmachines fire, magic items etc.

Thoughts?

Grish:

Agreed. I would be hesitant to use MS Word; a rich text document would be more appropriate.

It would also be extremely helpful to people if costs for certain abilities were known.
Example, killing blow, terror, scout, +1S, T, LD, etc, how much for synergy bonuses, etc.

Grimstonefire:

That’s a project in itself really, perhaps worthy of starting a thread for in Warhammer Discussion?

Grish:

You’re talking about the creation of an entirely new army; a single thread won’t cut that. You really need a good structure to implement something like this.

There should be baseline costs, and then synergy (or lack thereof) should be taken into account to arrive at a final value. Certain abilities are much more useful to certain armies. Such as the Gyrocopter for Dwarves as opposed to throwing that unit in say, a Chaos army.

I do think this is a very large undertaking and a large section should be devoted to it if interest is garnered from the community. A PDF may be premature until the rules are hammered out as units may be removed/introduced as discussions progress.

ashur:

Interessting idea. I once made a list for estalians, along with fluff.

Willmark:

Esatlians you say?

look for army lists of that nature here: www.darkshadowgames.com

Estalian is under the wargaming tab.

Revlid:

Estalians? Vampire Counts?

Bah!

Here is my list for CHAOS DWARFS.

Unfortunately, my email client bricks whenever I try to send a file this large, so I’m stuck with putting it on FileFactory and letting you guys download it from there.

Enjoy!

Theory_Man:

Sounds like a nifty idea.

Does this also imply Rule Systems as well?

furrie:

have you created your own rulesystem then, if so just show it

wallacer:

I have just e-mailed you my army book.

Any questions or suggestions just holler.

Also, the easiest way I have found to create PDFs is using a piece of software called CutePDF: CutePDF :: Product :: CutePDF Writer

This installs on your computer like a printer.  Open your file and tell it to print to Cute PDF (exactly like you would do for a normal printer).  It will then create a PDF version of your file in the same location as the original.

If anyone has a problem feel free to e-mail me the file and I will convert it into a PDF for you.

Scion:

Hi

Me and my friend have been working on an army list for about a month now, I’ve written a fair bit of background and have ideas for the army list. It wasn’t until yesterday I searched Chaos Dwarfs on the net and found such a devoted following.

I’d like to see what you think of it once it’s done as this is my main interest in Chaos Dwarfs. I’ll tell you when it’s finished. Some major changes we thought of are:

LORDS:

Sorcerers: They have been neglected by the majority of Chaos Dwarfs although some and their following still hide in the ruined Ziggurat of Zharr Hashim. There spells take effect over several turns as they perform the rituals. Having them disallows some of the more technical machines as they are a throwback from a different age.

Engineseers: A mixture of engineer and priest they look after the great furnace at the heart of every temple. They have access to all of the Chaos Dwarf army list and concentrate mainly on the technological side of warfare. Can take an engine of war

(I was thinking penitent engine model with heavy conversion) as a mount!

High Priests of Hashut: They use prayers that give them/others smaller bonus’s that can’t be dispelled. Can also summon the demon hosts of Hashut, rare demons that do not invade the realm of men and have never been trapped in the runic cages, fading away.

Overseers: The close Combat person of the army, they use the runic whips and sacrificial daggers to destroy enemy models, ultimate sacrificial death. Slaves have to be taken with him!

HERO’S

Haven’t got this far, just powered down versions of the lords I guess.

CORE

Warriors: Guess who, the Dwarfs of course.

Blunderbuss: The gives with the guns!

Slaves: Enforced warriors!

Damned: Criminals of the Dawi Zharr, given the axes of penitence so that in death there crime may be forgiven.

Others:

Hellbelchers: Dwarfs carrying warpstone powered flame and lighting throwers, using a flame template and a unit of five, that’s a lot of dead.

Executioners: The slaves forced to kill their fellows in ritual sacrifice, or those who refused to do so are trapped in the metal bodies of the executioners, forced to sacrafice for eternity. Chaos Dwarfs who die are also kept in these shells, so that they may fight for ever.

SkyClouders: Providing an eye in the sky, the great birds that inhabit the Worlds edge mountains harnessed with executioner technology. Raining dwon as undead missiles, nasty!

Xander:

Hi

Me and my friend have been working on an army list for about a month now, I've written a fair bit of background and have ideas for the army list. It wasn't until yesterday I searched Chaos Dwarfs on the net and found such a devoted following.

I'd like to see what you think of it once it's done as this is my main interest in Chaos Dwarfs. I'll tell you when it's finished. Some major changes we thought of are:

LORDS:

Sorcerers: They have been neglected by the majority of Chaos Dwarfs although some and their following still hide in the ruined Ziggurat of Zharr Hashim. There spells take effect over several turns as they perform the rituals. Having them disallows some of the more technical machines as they are a throwback from a different age.

Engineseers: A mixture of engineer and priest they look after the great furnace at the heart of every temple. They have access to all of the Chaos Dwarf army list and concentrate mainly on the technological side of warfare. Can take an engine of war
(I was thinking penitent engine model with heavy conversion) as a mount!

High Priests of Hashut: They use prayers that give them/others smaller bonus's that can't be dispelled. Can also summon the demon hosts of Hashut, rare demons that do not invade the realm of men and have never been trapped in the runic cages, fading away.

Overseers: The close Combat person of the army, they use the runic whips and sacrificial daggers to destroy enemy models, ultimate sacrificial death. Slaves have to be taken with him!

HERO'S
Haven't got this far, just powered down versions of the lords I guess.

CORE
Warriors: Guess who, the Dwarfs of course.

Blunderbuss: The gives with the guns!

Slaves: Enforced warriors!

Damned: Criminals of the Dawi Zharr, given the axes of penitence so that in death there crime may be forgiven.

Others:

Hellbelchers: Dwarfs carrying warpstone powered flame and lighting throwers, using a flame template and a unit of five, that's a lot of dead.

Executioners: The slaves forced to kill their fellows in ritual sacrifice, or those who refused to do so are trapped in the metal bodies of the executioners, forced to sacrafice for eternity. Chaos Dwarfs who die are also kept in these shells, so that they may fight for ever.

SkyClouders: Providing an eye in the sky, the great birds that inhabit the Worlds edge mountains harnessed with executioner technology. Raining dwon as undead missiles, nasty!

Scion
Sounds good. There is a lot of well-developed official lore that contradicts your Sorcerer lore, but that's fine!

Man, I really need to get going and make that section of the website made.