[Archive] Final Verdict on Tamurkhan?

Aman:

OK, I’m pretty much finished with Warhammer of any edition, I admit it. But I don’t want to give up my painted figs, and I’d like to play a unit based game, including campaign games.

I’m thinking of playing the Mantic rules and Abyssal Dwarfs, but continuing in the Warhammer World. I still have my GW Chaos DWarf books/downloads, and a small army of CDs.

So I’m wondering how much fun the Tamurkhan world would be on a purely fluff basis? So eliminating the specifics of “super awesome destructive special rule #275” and such, how good is this book just as a setting for another set of gaming rules. Actually, I could intend to play Hordes of the Things, or D&D D20, or LOTR rules for the campaign play, or anything else.

Is the book worth the price?

Thommy H:

The story is fun. It’s a bit too hung up on the “weird corners of the setting that have never been mentioned before” thing - almost like Alan Bligh is using the Warhammer world as a place to stick all his fantasy ideas, even if they don’t quite work, but yeah.

However, if all you’re after is a story, you’re probably better off just reading an actual novel. It’s good, but it’s still a Warhammer campaign book, with all the silliness and grimdark that entails.

Aman:

So it’s worth the $40-50 or whatever it goes for?

Where’s the best place to buy it? Or is it only from Forgeworld?

Vulcan:

I have a question about the Chaos Dwarf section of the book and was wondering if anyone had an answer.

The section on Chaos Dwarf charaters (p170-171) has an special rules entry titled Infernal Engineer. However, none of the character entries on p188-189 have that special rule. All the others (Resolute, Relentless, Contempt, etc.) appear somewhere - usually several somewheres - but not Infernal Engineer.

So… does this mean an Engineer character was drafted but didn’t make the book? Or was this rule intended to be added to one of the characters and failed to make it? It’s obviously an editing error of some sort, and frankly it’s driving me to distraction.

MLP:

The Infernal Engineer special rule comes under the daemonsmith rule which both the Sorcerer-Prophet and Daemonsmith have.

Aman I’m pretty sure forgeworld is the only place to get it but if you can get to nottingham you could buy it(and lots more!) and save the postage. I think some GW’s did stock it although I don’t know if they still do.

I think it’s definitely worth the price. The story is good and the Campaign rules seem fun. The LoA army list is pretty good and so are all the Chaos and Empire bits if you play them too.

As I play Nurgle Chaos Warriors and Chaos Dwarfs the book is great for me!

deadlydeceiver:

Hint: Read the “Deamonsmith” special rule :wink:

DD

Edit: Damn those ninjas :stuck_out_tongue:

Thommy H:

So it's worth the $40-50 or whatever it goes for?

Aman
In terms of production values, yeah. Again, the story is good, but it's not like the best story in the world or anything - it's still Warhammer. I've gotten enjoyment from the product though. I consider it worth it, but I have a decent amount of disposable income.

Also, it smells good. I'm totally serious.

Vulcan:

The Infernal Engineer special rule comes under the daemonsmith rule which both the Sorcerer-Prophet and Daemonsmith have.

MLP
So all the bold-faced points under Daemonsmith are condsidered part of the Daemonsmith rule? All models with the Daemonsmith rule also have Infernal Engineer, Sorcerer's Curse, Naptha Bombs, Darkforged Weapons, and Blood of Hashut automatically?

wallacer:

Aman
I think what you're getting for the money is very reasonable.
In my country it costs about the same as a GW army book, so by comparison it's a great buy.

The story is entertaining, the art is superb, and it has an 8th ed compatible CD list in it.

Thommy H:

No, the Daemonsmith rule specifically says it incorporates Infernal Engineer and Sorcerer’s Curse.

Vulcan:

I have a question about the Chaos Dwarf section of the book and was wondering if anyone had an answer.

The section on Chaos Dwarf charaters (p170-171) has an special rules entry titled Infernal Engineer. However, none of the character entries on p188-189 have that special rule. All the others (Resolute, Relentless, Contempt, etc.) appear somewhere - usually several somewheres - but not Infernal Engineer.

So… does this mean an Engineer character was drafted but didn’t make the book? Or was this rule intended to be added to one of the characters and failed to make it? It’s obviously an editing error of some sort, and frankly it’s driving me to distraction.

MLP:

Aman I’m pretty sure forgeworld is the only place to get it but if you can get to nottingham you could buy it(and lots more!) and save the postage. I think some GW’s did stock it although I don’t know if they still do.

I think it’s definitely worth the price. The story is good and the Campaign rules seem fun. The LoA army list is pretty good and so are all the Chaos and Empire bits if you play them too.

As I play Nurgle Chaos Warriors and Chaos Dwarfs the book is great for me!

deadlydeceiver:

Hint: Read the “Deamonsmith” special rule :wink:

DD

Edit: Damn those ninjas :stuck_out_tongue:

Thommy H:

Aman
In terms of production values, yeah. Again, the story is good, but it's not like the best story in the world or anything - it's still Warhammer. I've gotten enjoyment from the product though. I consider it worth it, but I have a decent amount of disposable income.

Vulcan:

MLP
So all the bold-faced points under Daemonsmith are condsidered part of the Daemonsmith rule? All models with the Daemonsmith rule also have Infernal Engineer, Sorcerer's Curse, Naptha Bombs, Darkforged Weapons, and Blood of Hashut automatically?

wallacer:

Aman
I think what you're getting for the money is very reasonable.
In my country it costs about the same as a GW army book, so by comparison it's a great buy.

The story is entertaining, the art is superb, and it has an 8th ed compatible CD list in it.

Thommy H:

No, the Daemonsmith rule specifically says it incorporates Infernal Engineer and Sorcerer’s Curse.

Vulcan:

No, the Daemonsmith rule specifically says it incorporates Infernal Engineer and Sorcerer's Curse.

Thommy H
Doh! I must need to get my eyes checked...

Far2Casual:

Thommy H
Very true. Even the last part :)

Vulcan:

No, the Daemonsmith rule specifically says it incorporates Infernal Engineer and Sorcerer's Curse.

Thommy H
Doh! I must need to get my eyes checked...