[Archive] Finalising Artisans and Golden Hat rules - feedback needed by 21st Dec

Grimstonefire:

Presented below are the rules I�?Tve written to cover all future artisans and golden hats. If anyone has anything they want clarified, or spots something I�?Tve missed as a potential area of confusion, please let me know.

If there is anything outside these rules, for instance how models are to be judged, I may have already answered it here, otherwise ask away.

This thread and this thread will eventually be put into this thread by 21st December. After this the general rules for all future Golden Hats will no longer be up for discussion (unless the staff specifically ask for feedback about something). So if you want to make a point about something please do it now!

The Artisan�?Ts rules will need to be written out a bit better, but the basic concept would not change from what is agreed below.

GOLDEN HAT CONTESTS

[/u]> Entry rules

The model must be painted to a reasonable standard, certainly more than just an undercoat. The model must be [/u] by the person entering it. Just to be very clear about this, if a company/sculptor has made something you like you can enter it even if you didn�?Tt make it, but you must paint it.

Each person can enter only once. Any member of CDO can enter.

No entries submitted after the deadline will be allowed, no matter how cool it is.

No model that has already been entered in an online painting contest can be entered.

If the model breaks forum rules by its appearance it will not be allowed.

Photos cannot be replaced after the deadline, unless by specific instruction.

> Anonymity rules

The entry photos cannot contain any writing that isn�?Tt on the model or base. I.e. you cannot put your username on each photo. If this can be cropped out the entry will be allowed, if it cannot it won�?Tt be.

The competition is supposed to be anonymous, so please do not post pictures of your entry online until after the voting has ended. Do not start a WIP blog of your entry as you make it, we may not allow it to be entered.

If you have just finished a model that is ideal for the competition, but have already posted it in the forum just ask one of the staff if it is ok to enter it still. Preferably people will not say which entry is theirs until voting is over, but this is not ‘rule breaking’.

If your username is on the model/base it will not be allowed.

> Staff discretion and editing

If more than 4 pictures are submitted, or an album link is provided where there are more than 4 pictures, if the entrant does not respond adequately within 48 hours after the deadline the pictures will be selected by me.

If the pics provided are in poor lighting or in need of cropping it is automatically presumed that I will do some editing of the pics as I see fit in order to improve them as best I can. If you specifically [/u][/b] want me to do any editing you must let me know at the time of submission! Bear in mind your entry will remain the same size as everyone else�?Ts, so poorly cropped pics etc will only work against you.

If you are unhappy with the quality of the final montage after the voting has started let me know ASAP. Changes can be made, but the voting won�?Tt be restarted or anything just because. I will check each montage shot before posting the thread.

The Staff decision is always final on any matter, it is not open to public debate (unless we ask it to be).

[/b]

We encourage creativity, so when we say (for example) ‘the theme is a black orc/ slave’, this means people are free to interpret this however they want, as long as it still looks Chaos Dwarf themed. If the theme was ‘hobgoblins - any sort’ and people wanted to mount 2 infantry models on a cavalry base this would also be OK.

Bear in mind that people will be considering how well your entry fits the theme when they are voting.

If you are in doubt please ask a member of staff, otherwise you risk having your entry disqualified if it is too far from the theme.

[/b]

The rules in use for basing for the competition will be specifically stated in the announcement thread.

[/u]

This rule applies to all Golden Hats. To avoid confusion models will be classified by the Warhammer 8th Edition standard into infantry, cavalry etc.

The model must meet the base requirement or it will not be allowed to be entered:

Infantry - Up to 30mm (square or round)

Cavalry, War Beasts, Monstrous Infantry, Monstrous Cavalry, Monster - Up to 50mm (square or round)

Chariot - 50mm x 100mm (standard base)

[/u]

If the basing rules in the announcement thread say this it means the entry cannot have a display base or plinth of any kind whatsoever, in any shape or form. As such, it will be made very clear that only the model itself should be judged incase there is anything in the background etc. Any photos that contain a display base will not be entered, you have been warned. :wink:

[/u]

If the basing rules in the announcement thread say this it means the entrant can also put their model(s) ontop of a display base/ plinth.

If the model does not come with a base (and should not), such as a Warhammer Forge Skullcracker, a display base can be used as a base. Models like this can [/u] be entered in competitions where display bases are allowed.

A display base should be no more than 10cm larger than the model on all sides, top and bottom. What is on the display base is up to you, but it cannot be a diorama (see below).

ARTISANS CONTESTS
General rules

Each member may only enter once. Any member of CDO may enter.

Staff will not do any editing for grammar, punctuation or spelling. Any winning entries that appear in the Word of Hashut may have these edits.

Unless by specific permission, nothing can be changed after the deadline.

If the entry breaks forum rules by its appearance/ content it will not be allowed.

Judging

If there are less than 10 entries, Artisans contests will always be judged by an open poll to determine the winner. If there are more than 10 it will be by pm 3 votes to staff account.

We will not instruct people what to consider when judging, except against things that are not supposed to be included (for instance standing an awesome model on terrain and judging the model, not the terrain). Other than this it is entirely up to them to judge on whatever grounds they want to determine the winner(s). We may give suggestions to help people.

Specific rules

[/u]

You can write your entry in the form of a story OR as a description. When it comes to judging people must remember that we have said both are equally good. This is not only for short stories.

There is a maximum word limit of 2250 words, and a minimum word limit of 1000 words, so PLEASE double check before sending it. It�?Ts so easy to check that there isn�?Tt really a reason not to. It would be handy for people to state their word count on submission.

People will be contacted after the deadline if they are over the limit. They will have 48 hours to delete and rework, but if they don’t get back to me by then anything over the word count will be deleted.

NO ART OR MODEL PHOTOS are allowed.

Entries made by email attachment or by pm, though formatting may be lost by pm.

Each member may only enter something [/u] have written.

[/u]

Rules of the Competition

You MUST have the following per entry:

1. You must state the classification of the unit, which must be one of the following: Infantry, Monstrous Infantry, Cavalry, Monstrous Cavalry or War Beast. You cannot have mixed units.

2. You must state which slot it falls into; Core, Special or Rare in a Chaos Dwarfs/Dwarfs of Chaos army. If other armies can take them you can state this, but you must state which category they are for the CD as a minimum.

3. The unit must conform to the typical minimum unit size for each classification:

Infantry (core for CD army): 10+

Infantry (special or rare for CD army): 5+

Cavalry: 5+

Monstrous Infantry: 3+

Monstrous Cavalry: 3+

War Beasts: 5+

Obviously if you want to state a maximum that’s up to you.

4. Basic points cost for the minimum unit size (the base cost before all upgrades or options) must be included. This includes any named champions.

5. Basic Points cost for any additional models.

6. The cost for upgrading command models. A named champion should be included in the basic points total in point 4 above and not as an upgrade. If you have a named musician or standard bearer you can include them either in the basic total in point 4 above or as an upgrade.

7. A profile for everything in the unit including mounts if there are any. This must follow the GW format. M WS BS S T W I A Ld etc

8. If the unit is armed with a missile or combat weapon that is not a weapon type in the 8th Edition Warhammer rulebook, the rules for this must be described.

9. If the unit have any special rules that are not in the 8th Edition Warhammer rulebook, the rules for this must be described.

If your entry does not include all the above by the deadline it will probably not be included. I may consider an entry if it’s 99% of the way there and only needs a couple of things adding quickly. No promises though.

Background

The background part is optional, but I suggest you include something as everyone else probably will.

There is a 1000 maximum word limit on this. It would be handy for people to state their word count on submission.

This includes all text that is not directly describing what the rules are. Stating what the fluff behind ‘Iron Will’ rule is for instance will be included, as will fluff descriptions of things like magic banners etc. What the actual rules are for these things will not be included, they are rules, not fluff. There is no word count for the rules themselves, but you don’t want people to get bored reading them!

People will be contacted after the deadline if they are over the limit. They will have 48 hours to delete and rework, but if they don’t get back to me by then anything over the 1000 words will be deleted, starting with rules fluff (things like what the ‘Hashut’s Chosen’ rule is fluffwise or how a magic banner looks etc), before deleting from the background section.

NO ART OR MODEL PHOTOS are allowed.

Entries made by email attachment, not by pm.

Each member may only enter something [/u] have written.

All entries will be amended to be the same format regardless of how they are sent, a condition you automatically accept by entering.

[/u]

The maximum size limit is 30cm x 30cm x 30cm (unless otherwise stated in the thread).

The model can be bought/ commissioned, as for the Golden Hat models, but it has to be fully painted by the person entering it.

Entries made by pm, 4 links to where the pics are.

People are advised to [/u] any models that are not part of the terrain piece for the purposes of judging, they would only be for display purposes.

Entries may be edited for lighting/contrast/cropping as best I can, a condition you automatically accept by entering. However, if you do not want this to happen, you must send me a pm to say so before the deadline closes.

[/u]

There is no size limit, the only limit is your imagination.

This is an [/u] contest, so we will not accept artwork in any other medium than drawn/rendered (i.e. no sculptures/ videos/ stories/ photography/ whatever else classes as ‘art’ these days).

It does not have to be drawn/ painted by hand, it can be drawn on a computer. HOWEVER, every part of the image has to be produced by you, you cannot merge/ edit existing artwork done by someone else.

If you put a decorative border on, or some text etc, you have to produce this all by hand (you cannot just type it in on a computer).

Each member may only enter something [/u] have produced.

Upload ONE image to the internet, this cannot be a montage shot. PM the link to the Staff account. If you feel the place you are uploading shrinks it too much (as I think photobucket may), email it to cdostaff@hotmail.co.uk

[/u]

The maximum size limit is 20cm x 20cm x 20cm (unless otherwise stated in the thread).

Entries made by pm, 4 links to where the pics are.

People are advised to [/u] any models that are not part of the objective marker for the purposes of judging, they would only be for display purposes.

The model can be bought/ commissioned, as for the Golden Hat models, but it has to be fully painted by the person entering it.

Entries may be edited for lighting/contrast/cropping as best I can, a condition you automatically accept by entering. However, if you do not want this to happen, you must send me a pm to say so before the deadline closes.

Grimstonefire:

Just a reminder there are 10 days left for people to give feedback. :wink:

After this (and the short story poll) I’m going to consider everything to do with the GH and Artisan’s rules finished.

Redhammer:

To save yourselves some trouble, ask for a word count from the different entries that have a maximum allowance. If it doesn’t appear to match up, you can double check, but I imagine most people will be pretty honest about it.

Grimstonefire:

Just a reminder that today is the last day to give your feedback on all of this. After today I will tidy this up and put them into the GH & Artisans rules sticky.

Nicodemus:

Just a reminder that today is the last day to give your feedback on all of this. After today I will tidy this up and put them into the GH & Artisans rules sticky.

Grimstonefire
I read though this last week and everything sounded reasonable. After having the past week to give it more thought I stand by my initial impression that your ground rules for future comps are justifiable and defendable, while not being ambiguous or overly open to interpretation (the usual caveats for those who do not speak/read English as a first language apply to ambiguity, etc. as usual).

Great work Grim! Thanks for this!
~N