[Archive] Fireglaives(1)

Duke Lisle:

Sorry if this has been asked before but my google-fu is weak.

From what I’ve read fireglaives ARE NOT flaming attacks? This hasn’t been errata fixed or anything? Despite the illustration in the Tamurkhan book? Despite the name of the weapon itself?

This came into play today when Tomb Prince charged a unit of fireglaives.

Thanks for the help.

Da Crusha:

they aren’t flaming. I suppose the “fire” in fireglaive is more related to them being fire-able.

gIL^:

Not flaming, If they did that may justify the price :slight_smile:

Novos:

Yeah I was just thinking about how stupid this was yesterday. Looked everywhere but it hasn’t been corrected. Fireglaives are not flaming in ranged or combat unfortunately. I keep wondering if they’re worth it. I mean a unit of 36 or so can save nearly 200 points by just dropping the fireglaives. Ergo the question becomes can 2 Rocket Launchers kill as much as the fireglaives would?

So many questions, so little time to play :frowning:

Sorry if this has been asked before but my google-fu is weak.

From what I’ve read fireglaives ARE NOT flaming attacks? This hasn’t been errata fixed or anything? Despite the illustration in the Tamurkhan book? Despite the name of the weapon itself?

This came into play today when Tomb Prince charged a unit of fireglaives.

Thanks for the help.

Duke Lisle

NoisyAssassin:

I keep wondering if they're worth it. I mean a unit of 36 or so can save nearly 200 points by just dropping the fireglaives. Ergo the question becomes can 2 Rocket Launchers kill as much as the fireglaives would?

Novos
You shouldn't ever take fireglaives on a unit that size, for those you want blunderbusses. Fireglaives work best on small flanking units of 10-15. The shots are usually enough to cause a panic check on fast cav or kill lighter chaff like Sabretusks, and the higher S in combat is good when supporting a main block with a flank charge. I've found them to be very worthwhile in this role. As you pointed out, when you start to up the model count they quickly lose their cost effectiveness.

Novos:

Yeah I geuss you’re right. Though I believe the fireglaives make them a useful asset in both shooting and close combat. With the armor piercing banner they’re -2 to AS shooting and -3 in CC. Shouldnt have a problem with tougher units w/ fireglaives. Though I guess for the same effect you can just throw on great weapons and save some points. Problem is Infernal Guard is really the only core choice we have and we’re only ever spending what we need to on it. Therefore no matter what weapon we equip our boys with we’re still only gonna spend 625 points on the unit so whatever weapon we choose only really effects the size of the unit, not how many points we spend.

Ergo the new question becomes what will do more damage,

625 Points of Fireglaives, sword and boards, or blunderbusses. I assume we equip all of them with the Razor Standard (Armor Piercing) for 45 points.

I keep wondering if they’re worth it. I mean a unit of 36 or so can save nearly 200 points by just dropping the fireglaives. Ergo the question becomes can 2 Rocket Launchers kill as much as the fireglaives would?

Novos
You shouldn’t ever take fireglaives on a unit that size, for those you want blunderbusses. Fireglaives work best on small flanking units of 10-15. The shots are usually enough to cause a panic check on fast cav or kill lighter chaff like Sabretusks, and the higher S in combat is good when supporting a main block with a flank charge. I’ve found them to be very worthwhile in this role. As you pointed out, when you start to up the model count they quickly lose their cost effectiveness.

NoisyAssassin

Gunnerson:

Yeah I geuss you're right. Though I believe the fireglaives make them a useful asset in both shooting and close combat. With the armor piercing banner they're -2 to AS shooting and -3 in CC. Shouldnt have a problem with tougher units w/ fireglaives. Though I guess for the same effect you can just throw on great weapons and save some points. Problem is Infernal Guard is really the only core choice we have and we're only ever spending what we need to on it. Therefore no matter what weapon we equip our boys with we're still only gonna spend 625 points on the unit so whatever weapon we choose only really effects the size of the unit, not how many points we spend.

Ergo the new question becomes what will do more damage,

625 Points of Fireglaives, sword and boards, or blunderbusses. I assume we equip all of them with the Razor Standard (Armor Piercing) for 45 points.

Novos

NoisyAssassin:

At least Fireglaives are AP. And AP from the banner only applies to combat. It’s a special rule that is only applied to shooting attacks if the shooting weapon has the special rule. Which is annoying.

Da Crusha:

Here I made these you might find it useful.

Yodrin:

Nice Da Crusha!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Da Crusha:

@yodrin: Im glad you like it.

i originally posted this on offensive blunderbuss thread I believe. If any body wants me to alter the factors, it isn’t too difficult, just ask. I have several hundred lines of data.