[Archive] Fireglaives worth it?

rpitts2004:

Hello, this is my first thread here at Chaos Dwarfs and I am about to make a big forgeworld order and I am just trying to see if I should purchase some fireglaives or leave them off?

To give you a feel for my situation I have 25 Infernal guard with blunderbuss’s (converted) SO I don’t want to purchase fireglaives if blunderbuss’s are either a better choice or there is no point in bringing fireglaives.

Thanks!

CopperPot:

If you are already taking blunderbusses there’s no need for them mate if you look hard enough there are a couple threads on fireglaives.

deadlydeceiver:

Just like Copperpot said: If you want shooty IG Blunderbusses seem the better choice. But in the end IG are possibly best without any options…
They’re just to expensive for BS3 / one shot.

DD

rpitts2004:

Figured as much, I like the models but I will be leaving them off my order =)

Thanks for the responses

khedyarl:

I think smallish (ten man) units of Fireglaives are worth it. They are difficult to get rid of due to their high toughness and 3+ save vs shooting/magic, and small enough that people don’t want to have to dedicate a large amount of firepower into them. Ten of them hits relatively hard (ten strength five attacks, with hatred if you are so inclined) to sway a combat easily if you have a brick of Infernals with hand weapons holding the line.

I’ve become a fan of them, and I’ve used units of between ten and forty (forty is a ludicrous points investment, by the way, and I don’t suggest it. :P)

Ten has been the best size for me so far.

rpitts2004:

Yeah after reading some more about them I ordered 10 of them for support and chaff hunters

Veshnakar:

I would put most of your focus of the order on Infernal Guard with Shields, at least one Death Shrieker and Magma Cannon, and the Daemonsmiths.

Then getting/converting regular goblins to fill out your hobgoblin core, a hellcannon perhaps and you should be good.

I love the Fireglaive models, I personally have 42 of them, split into two units of 21 with command, but I rarely use them in large units because honestly, you can have 3 and a half Hobgoblins for every single Chaos Dwarf with a Fireglaive. Superior number of shots wins over high strength to me.

That said though, the added toughness, armor, and combat ability do help, but I struggle to find it worth it. 10 would be very reasonable though to protect your warmachines, and like you said, to hunt chaff and support.

Gmaleron:

To be honest you can buy the fireglaive models and use them as blunderbusses, that is what I am doing with my units. The first two ranks will be HW and Shield Infernal Guard with the back row of Fireglaives to represent the blunderbusses. :cheers

In regards to their usefulness I say blunderbusses all the way. Not only does the xD3 shots help with our low BS3, but you also keep your HW and Shield allowing you to keep the 3+ armor save. I am running all my infernal guard units this way and the results have been amazing, not only on the table top but also for my wallet! :hat off

rpitts2004:

To be honest you can buy the fireglaive models and use them as blunderbusses, that is what I am doing with my units. The first two ranks will be HW and Shield Infernal Guard with the back row of Fireglaives to represent the blunderbusses. :cheers

In regards to their usefulness I say blunderbusses all the way. Not only does the xD3 shots help with our low BS3, but you also keep your HW and Shield allowing you to keep the 3+ armor save. I am running all my infernal guard units this way and the results have been amazing, not only on the table top but also for my wallet! :hat off

Gmaleron
I did not realize that you keep your shield. That is huge!

deadlydeceiver:

Jep, you always keep the shield, no matter whether you take the GW, FG or BB-Option ^^

So always a nice 3+ save vs shooting.

DD

Gmaleron:

Jep, you always keep the shield, no matter whether you take the GW, FG or BB-Option ^^
So always a nice 3+ save vs shooting.

DD

deadlydeceiver
Correct but do not forget that you would only have a 4+ save in CC which isnt bad, but I prefer the 3+ save + the 6+ parry save just because its funny to watch a bull horde charge in and only kill 5-6 guys :cheers