[Archive] First Game of KoW with Abyssal Dwarfs

Morgrim Blackbeard:

Played my first game last night and it was great fun. It reminds me of old editions of warhammer and warmaster. Characters and war machines and spells are supporting troops but can still swing their axes!

I played with Abyssal dwarfs vs Orcs at 1200 points. It ended up a draw at the end of 6 turns all I had left was my characters and all he had left was one small unit of orcs. I really enjoyed. Its simple and the game play is pretty intuitive as an old WFB player it all feels right. Movement is not fiddly- most units get a free pivot up to 90 degrees once in their move, so no wheeling fumbles!

The combat system is fast and bloody but units can hang around longer than you expect. Nothing was over the top, although first turn mortar nearly wiped out his troll unit but then failed to roll 5+ to hit for the rest of the game! I used my Bull Centaur Lord as an Abyssal grotesque lord and he got a few flank charges in to units, being a monster and not having the individual rule we assumed he could double his attacks in flank attacks. If incorrect let me know! He wiped out the trolls, a shaman and helped destroy a few other units :mad. Having said that noone even got a hot on him all game so i am sure he wouldnt be that good always!

Im already thinking about my list building and what i can take different- really good fun and recommended!:hat off

Abecedar:

Thanks for the look-see at KoW. It has been played at our club before but not for quite a while.

Fuggit Khan:

Played my first game last night and it was great fun. It reminds me of old editions of warhammer and warmaster. Characters and war machines and spells are supporting troops but can still swing their axes!

Morgrim Blackbeard
Glad you enjoyed it...this was pretty much my first thoughts as well when I first played KoW.
It really does have a feel of the older editions of Warhammer, but much more balanced. I especially like that units are first and foremost, and that magic, etc are secondary "support" to the combat blocks of troops.
Allies are a fun addition to an army list (another thing that reminds me of earlier Warhammer editions)...you should try them out alongside your Abyssal Dwarf list. Orcs are very fun as allies :cheers