[Archive] First Game with CD Ever! 2000pts

Gmaleron:

Hello everyone, I just was able to play test my first CD army today against a friends High Elf army (was originally going to play as Lizardmen but decided to proxy a High Elf army because he wants to maybe go them in the future) and as mentioned on my army list thread would post the battle report on it. We decided on 2000pts. as my army was entirely proxied (from a few armies actually) but was still a fun and a learning experience for us both. The lists were:

Chaos Dwarfs: 1999 POINTS

LORDS & HEROES: 383pts.

-Level 4 Sorcerer Prophet
*w/ Lore of Hashut, Mask of the  Furnace, Blood of Hashut
(Spells: Breath of Hatred, Curse of Hashut, Ashstorm, Flames of Azgorh)

-Lvl. 1 Demonsmith
*w Lore of Fire

-Infernal Castellan BSB
*w/ Armor of Bazherak the Cruel

CORE: 844pts.

-x30 Infernal Guard (Sorcerer Here)
*w/ Full Command

-x24 Infernal Guard (BSB Here)
*w/ Banner, Musician, Blunderbusses

SPECIAL: 170pts.

-Magma Cannon (Demonsmith Here)

RARE: 325pts

-K’daai Destroyer

High Elves: 2000 POINTS

LORDS AND HEROES: 603pts.

-Level 4 Archmage
*w/ Channeling Staff, Talisman of Preservation, Lore of Shadow
(Mystifying Miasma, Steed of Shadows, Pit of Shades, Mindrazor)

-Noble BSB
*w/ Armor of Caledor, Great Weapon

-Korhil

CORE: 567pts.

-x30 Lothern Sea Guard (BSB Here)
*w/ Full Command

-x12 Archers (Mage went here)
*w/ Banner of Eternal Flame

SPECIAL: 830pts.

-x50 White Lions Horde (Korhil Here)
*w/ Full Command, Banner of Sorcery

Basically I knew from what he took he was going to do a popular strategy it seems by sitting back and shadow casting my army to death. The horde of White lions was clearly there to counter my k’daai destroyer (S6 weapons) among other things like it being very good vs shooting (also knew he had asked a very skilled friend for advice what to take so his list makes sense) Terrain was a basic two hills and two forests in opposite corners and a thing of ruins in the middle of the board. We decided to do just a line it up knock it down game with VP to decide victor, basically try to kill each other. I deployed left to right with the blunderbusses  to the left side of the ruins in the middle with Magma cannon and demonsmith directly behind them (BB’s were 12x2 formation). To their left I deployed the K’daai and the right the Infernal Guard block. He deployed (my left to right) White Lions across from K’daai, Sea Guard Archers behind the seaguard a little bit. I deployed and got the first turn.

Turn 1 Chaos Dwarfs: The K’daai moves forward thundering up the left flank directly @ the White Lions (being sure to stay out of charge range) while the blunderbusses and Infernal Guard move up as well with the infernal guard behind the ruins and the BB’s off to the left side. Magic was not to good as I rolled a 5 for total w/ no channels on both sides. I threw three dice @ flames of azgorh on his archers but it scatters off of them. Shooting was much better. The magma cannon targets the white lions and I place the cannon shot exactly @ 24 inches, it moves forward 5 and the head of the template lands perfectly over a good chunk of them which ended up frying 9!! Good start for the Cannon :cheers.

Turn 1 High Elves: Sea Guard block moves forward towards the BB’s slightly more to shield the archer/mage unit a little more. White Lions hold their ground baiting me into a long charge. Magic was great for him with him rolling 10 (6 and a 4) and channeling so he had 11 vs my 6. He throws 6 dice @ pit of shades on my infernal guard block and succeeds in getting it off (no irresistible force thank god!). I throw 6 dice to dispel and thankfully roll 2 6’s. He then casts mindrazor on his white lions with his remaining dice making them S8 (definitely made me nervous to charge him with K’daai next turn). Shooting sees him drop three dwarfs from the BB unit.

Turn 2 Chaos Dwarfs: No charges as Mindrazor persuades me to stay away from his white lions, I do however move baiting him this time for a 11 inch charge. My infernal block occupies the ruins while my BB unit marches forward to bait the sea guard unit. Magic was better for me this time around rolling an 8 (he got 4 dispel dice) however he channeled where once again I didnt. Magic I threw five dice @ flames of azgorh on his archers again and he fails to dispel (using 5 as well). The template scatters two inches so I only end up hitting 5 but kill 4. Remaining dice I throw @ hatred on my BB’s in case he charges w/ sea guard. Shooting sees my magma cannon kick butt again this time frying 6 more white lions (little complaining from friend on this but explaining point cost of weapon + demonsmith made him back down). BB’s were just out of range.

Turn 2 High Elves: He surprisingly declares charges with both Seaguard and White Lions but both fail setting me up in a pretty good position next turn (told me he thought he could take K’daai and if he had made charge with seaguard he didnt want me to get my stand and shoot). Magic however helps him quite a bit as he gets 9 dice (I get 6 dispel) and fails to channel while I channel once. so its 9 vs 7. He gets pit of shades off on my Infernal Guard block (5 dice no irresistable, I only rolled 4 to counter as was thinking of mindrazor and he barely got the casting value) thankfully it scatters but I still lose 7 dwarfs to the spell. He then tries to cast the mindrazor  on the white lions but I dispel with remaining dice! Shooting he kills two more dwarfs from the BB unit.

Turn 3 Chaos Dwarfs: I bring the pain! K’daai Charges White Lions and makes it and the infernal Guard block moves through the ruins to threaten flank of sea guard and the archers. My BB’s move up just enough to get in range of the seaguard. Magic sees me roll a 3… with him channeling and me not so its 3 vs 3. I do however get ash storm off on the white lions making them flammable!  Shooting sees me roll a 2 for the blunderbusses D3 giving me a total of 40 shots, and after the smoke clears I am happy to see 9 dead elves on the board! They pass their leadership though knowing that if they charge I can get stand and shoot as well. Magma cannon targeted mage bunker and fried 6 of the 7 remaning elves, but they passed their leadership. Combat was…words cant even begin to describe the carnage i wrecked on the remaining white lions. After all of his attacks I think I killed something along the lines of around 15 elves while taking three wounds in return (rolled a 5 for a total of 9 attacks, plus blazing body and thunderstomp) leaving my opponent flabbergasted @ the damage output. However White Lions are stubborn so he passed his leadership with ease.

Turn 3 High Elves: His seaguard make a hasty back pedal moving them just out of range of BB’s again with the mage then jumping into the unit. Magic was high for him again with him rolling a 10 and getting the channel while I only had 6 dice. He throws 6 dice @ pit of shades on infernal guard, gets IF, and rolls the miscast for hurting people near him and loss of dice. He loses his remaining dice and kills 3 seaguard. Pit of shades stays on target and I lose all but 7 of my dwarfs through initiative tests but they pass LD…(going to have to be worried about lore of shadow from now on). He shoots @ the depleted infernal guard and kills three more. Combat saw my K’daai go crazy again (rolled a 6 for the D3) and after all the attacks I think he had eighteen guys left. The K’daai suffers two wounds in return leaving me with 1 wound left!

Turn 4 Chaos Dwarfs: I declare a charge with my 4 remaining infernal guard on his lone archer who chooses to flee and gets away. Re-direct on sea guard falls well short. My BB’s move up into shooting range again of his seaguard while I pray to god I dont kill my k’daai with a toughness test. I roll a 5 and breathe a sigh of relief. Magic sees me get 8 dice vs his 5 and I throw 5 dice @ ash storm on his white lions which goes off. I then try to cast curse of hashut on his mage but he dispels it. Shooting sees my BB’s only get twenty shots but still 5 more spear elves bite the dust. My magma cannon makes up for it by targetting the sea guard and killing 8 of them! They pass their LD again. Combat I kill 5 more white lions with the burning body but I die due to attacks :(…white lions reform to face BB’s but loses 4 more because of ash storm :).

Turn 4 High Elves: Lone archer keeps running so he just removes him from board, the White lions charge the BB’s but fail (literally by 1 inch) Stand and shoot kills two of them (rolled a 2 for the D3). Remaining Sea Guard and characters backpedal again with his magic phase FINALLY rolling poorly, he got five dice and I got 3, both failed to channel. He attempts 5 dice on pit of shades again and gets it off and i fail to dispel again!! He targets BB’s with it but it scatters badly only nicking the unit, i still lose 4 dwarfs though. Shooting he pumps remaining shots into the 4 infernal guard but none fall this time.

Turn 5 Chaos Dwarfs: The infernal Guard w/ Sorcerer charge and hit the front of the seaguard unit while the BB’s turn to target the White Lions. Magic I roll 7 and channel once making it 7 vs 4. I get the hatred spell on my unit off and ash storm off on the seaguard with them. Shooting sees me wipe all but two white lions (Banner and musician) along with Korhil off the board between my magma cannon and BB’s. Combat I challenge with my Sorcer and he accepts with his BSB…big mistake on his part. He does two wounds on my character but I use the Blood of Hashut and watch as his BSB dies! My dwarfs shake off the flimsy attacks of the elves and chop down three of them. With the unit dead he fails his LD and runs and I roll…and catch them!!! Rolled an 8 (including minus) while he only rolled a 6. My opponent calls it after this after which we got a milkshake and debated if they were OP or not. He said the magma cannon and K’daai were insane but by no means were we an OP army. Take away or add a few magic casts here and there it would have been a completely different game. He really does like high elves (especially their always strike first shinanigans) and thinks he will probably sell his lizardmen to go them. We both agreed had he changed a few things in his list he would have done much better but it was not bad for a first attempt @ High Elves. My thoughts:

-Lore of Hashut is awesome! By far my favorite spell in there is ash storm as i continually kept my K’daai from dying multiple times thanks to the minus 1 to hit. Blood of Hashut was awesome as well, taking down his scary 2+ armor save BSB with no problem.

-Demonsmith + Magama cannon = must! This guy saved my cannon from misfiring twice and has convinced me it is worth sinking points into another demonsmith for my future second cannon as they are amazing!

-Infernal Guard are awesome but good god…I will always be scared of playing against armies with the lore of shadow from now on. Pit of shades seems like it was MADE to take out dwarfs and it surely did, he inflicted more casualties on my army then anything else did with just that spell alone. God forbid if I play teclis with it…The blunderbusses were hit and miss, when rolling more then 1 shot each they did great! Not going to give up on these guys yet but will try fireglaives next game.

-Magma Cannon and K’daai…love them, love them, love them, in tournament games I will totally be bringing two of each to the table! :cheers off Maybe a little jerkish but hey it is a tournament. Friendly games I think I will hold off on the 2nd K’daai as I could not believe how many wounds it put it out. The magma cannon was amazing as well frying tons of his elves with every shot thanks to the demonsmith especially in back of it (actually forgot he was a mage for half the game because I was using him more as a engineer, also forgot about his demonforge weapon to but will remember next time!).

So first outing with these guys was a win for the Chaos Dwarfs! Already planning on a few games this Friday against a WoC player and possibly an O&G player so may post more reports in the future. (Also I have convinced the store owner to “think about” letting me use these guys in tournaments, especially if I get them fully painted and done for the table top so good news there). Thanks for reading guys hope you enjoy!

MLP:

Nice battle report, quite enjoyed reading it. There were a few lucky points in the game that could’ve swung the battle either way, but hey, that’s Warhammer! Seems to me like you used your units to their strengths to counter enemy units effectively so well done there for your first game. You can see how most people would think two destroyers is a bit unsporting now hey!

I think your store owner will have a hard time refusing you playing if you bring a fully painted chaos dwarf army with Tamurkhan too, especially if you order what you can through his shop! Might be a good idea not to play them too competetively though on their first tournement or people will asume they are overpowered, especially if you end up smashing all other armies in your path!

Good work on your first game though, much better than my first against High Elves. Continue bringing glory to Hashut!

Insidious:

Awesome! Great Battle Report and grats on the well deserved victory… was very give and take the whole way, and you wrote it up very well. Didn’t leave me wondering how or why something happened or what I missed to make something go one way or the other. Keep up the good work and lets get some more of those Battle Reports up from those other games!!

Agalstrax:

I have to admit Insidious and MLP.

It was a great report!! :hat off

Go on with your CDs.
I´m a poor WH-Fantasy general and hope to learn from your experience.

Lava Lord:

That was a great battle report.  It was informitive and very helpful for me.  I too am trying to get back into Warhammer and especally the Chaos Dwarfs.  All the new Forge World pieces and troops, I’m way behind the power curve…  These type reports are most helpful.  :hat off Looking forward to reading more reports…!!

nilbog:

Good report, keep it up. Of course, if he really wanted to beat the destroyer, he could have had some dragon princes with foe bane (wounds on a 2+ on multi-wound models). I’m surpsrised his bsb died to blood of hashut since he had a 2+ ward against flaming attacks.

Have you considered a deathshrieker? Those things are excellent against T3 troops.

Gmaleron:

Good report, keep it up. Of course, if he really wanted to beat the destroyer, he could have had some dragon princes with foe bane (wounds on a 2+ on multi-wound models). I'm surpsrised his bsb died to blood of hashut since he had a 2+ ward against flaming attacks.

Have you considered a deathshrieker? Those things are excellent against T3 troops.

nilbog
Hey guys Im back! Sorry its been so long I was off doing some training for my job in the army, I also have some news I now have a High Elf army I am working on (as I got a great deal and a cool Idea for them) and getting CD @ this time would have been to much on my finances. However I have already made plans to get a 2nd army of these awesome bad boys in the future!

In regards to you surprise on his BSB dying so easily he had the armor of caledor which does not have a 2+ ward save vs flaming attacks :hat off

nilbog:

I have high elves as well, they were my first army and I keep going back to them. Just remember to talk in a posh accent and complain about getting your lovely white cloaks muddy when playing them!

Unless I’ve been playing it wrong (which is possible), the armour of caledor does have a 2+ ward against flaming attacks, just like dragon armour.

Gmaleron:

Good report, keep it up. Of course, if he really wanted to beat the destroyer, he could have had some dragon princes with foe bane (wounds on a 2+ on multi-wound models). I'm surpsrised his bsb died to blood of hashut since he had a 2+ ward against flaming attacks.

nilbog
Hey guys Im back! Sorry its been so long I was off doing some training for my job in the army, I also have some news I now have a High Elf army I am working on (as I got a great deal and a cool Idea for them) and getting CD @ this time would have been to much on my finances. However I have already made plans to get a 2nd army of these awesome bad boys in the future!

In regards to you surprise on his BSB dying so easily he had the armor of caledor which does not have a 2+ ward save vs flaming attacks :hat off

nilbog:

I have high elves as well, they were my first army and I keep going back to them. Just remember to talk in a posh accent and complain about getting your lovely white cloaks muddy when playing them!

Unless I’ve been playing it wrong (which is possible), the armour of caledor does have a 2+ ward against flaming attacks, just like dragon armour.

rpitts2004:

No Book of hoeth? For shame