[Archive] First game with LoA

Thommy H:

Unless the Darkforged Weapon is explicitly listed as a magic weapon - and I can’t imagine why it would be, given that a Sorcerer Prophet is the only generic Lord choice - then you can take a magic weapon as well, which will replace it.

cornixt:

To make it clear, any items that a character has aren’t counted as Magic Items unless they are in the Magic Items list for the army or the rulebook, regardless of the description of the item saying it has magical properties. A character can, as a maximum, wear one suit of armour and carry one shield. If he takes Magic Armour that is one of those (there are a couple of helms which aren’t) then it will replace just that one.

Zhorn:

The question is - does the prophet keep his gadgets from the darkforged weapon even if he equips a second, “true” magic weapon fro the magic items list? Maybe similar to the shield of luck + greatweapon situation?

Baggronor:

The question is - does the prophet keep his gadgets from the darkforged weapon even if he equips a second, "true" magic weapon fro the magic items list? Maybe similar to the shield of luck + greatweapon situation?
If the Darkforged Weapon is described as a Magic Weapon, then no - a character cannot have more than one Magic Weapon unless its a set of Paired Weapons (which is still one weapon effectively). If it isn't described as a Magic Weapon, then he keeps it - that is interesting and could be good and would no doubt lead to all kinds of internet arguments. But I bet it is a Magic Weapon...

Grimstonefire:

p171

Each Darkforged weapon counts as being a magical hand weapon…

Baggronor:

Yep, so there we go, thanks Grim :cheers

Damn you FW, give me the book…

Does it specifically say he can replace it? If not we may get some RAWers saying he can’t take a magic weapon because he already has one…

Grimstonefire:

It’s not an option, it’s part of his core equipment.

Afaik this means he can take a different hand weapon and choose to use that one.

Some of the darkforged weapon results are non combat based (like +1 channelling for instance).  So could you use the darkforged weapon for that, then when you actually get into combat swap to the other one?

Could be a waste of points if you roll one of the combat results (D3 multiple wounds for instance) as the chances are it’ll be better than the other weapon you’ve bought.

Edit.

It doesn’t say one way or the other whether it can be replaced.

You would think it would say “May take magical items (excluding weapons) up to a total of … etc” if that was the intention.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Internet wisdom has always been that a model with a magic weapon cannot purchase another magic weapon. Personally I want the book accepted as widely as possible so I’m not going to push the cheese-envelope. With the proper amount of verbal gymnastics, I’m sure it may be possible but I don’t want to try.

Grimbold Blackhammer

rabotak:

Internet wisdom has always been that a model with a magic weapon cannot purchase another magic weapon.

Grimbold Blackhammer
that would be fine with me, it's an issue i can easily cope with.
it leaves the points for the other item categories and the outcome of the w6-roll determines his role, rather off or deff, combat or casting...

Grimstonefire:

Missed the bit in the rulebook on p500.

“each model can only carry one of each type of magic item”. That seems to solve that then.

Thommy H:

Did you not know that rule? How many items have you been giving your characters, Grim…?

Grimstonefire:

I used to do just one out of tradition, I presumed it was a rule.  Been years since I actually looked at it in print!

To be fair though I also presumed it was only combat weapons that couldn’t be taken more than once but this has an effect outside of combat as well.  Hence my confusion.

These days my knowledge of the rules is really getting rusty.

Thommy H:

Yeah, you can only have one item from each category. It’s been that way since forever, I think.

khedyarl:

That’s… really unfortunate. There goes my plan to arm him with the Hammer of Hashut and light things on fire with ash storm.

I’m… displeased with this result, this means we can’t really even make an solid attempt at making the Prophet a combat character.

Thommy H:

I have my doubts, actually. “Counts as a magical hand weapon” reads to me like an attempt to say it confers no additional abilities beyond a hand weapon, but gives magical attacks. I would think he could replace it with a magic weapon from the magic items list.

This should settle it though: The Sorcerer-Prophet is the only Lord choice that can take magic weapons, yes? Do any of the magic weapons cost more than 50 points?

khedyarl:

I think the Dark Mace costs more than fifty, but to make things a little more muddled, the Castellan has {I believe} a 75 point limit, like a Dwarf Thane.

Thommy H:

Oh yeah. Replace 50 with 75 then, I guess.

khedyarl:

That’s the problem, I think the most expensive weapon in the LoA list is 75 points. The limit to a castellan. We may need to fire an email off to FW to see what’s what.

Grimstonefire:

In that case the answer is no.

To be honest though you’re already paying for a reasonably decent weapon which must be worth around 40-50pts I imagine. So loading up yet more points on weapons just isn’t a good idea, legal or not.

Thommy H:

Yeah, I guess the assumption is that you won’t want to replace it anyway. Still, it’s a shame to see another example of some questionable wording in this book.