[Archive] First real game with CD

Far2Casual:

Hey everyone, LoA is such a rare army that there isn’t much feedback about their performance yet. I though I might as well give mine. Please forgive me my mistakes in english, I’m not a native.

The game was played with competition in mind. The idea is to try to build up a list following the ETC restrictions. This was my list :

Sorcerer-Prophet, General, lvl4, Ironcurse Icon, Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield, Lore of Hashut - 355 Pts.

Infernal Castellan, GW, Dawnstone, Armour of Bazherak the Cruel, BSB - 210 Pts.
Daemonsmith Sorcerer, Charmed Shield, Scroll, Lore of Metal - 125 Pts.

28 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, M, S, C, Warbanner - 393 Pts.
40 Hobgoblin Cutthroates, Bögen, M, S - 212 Pts.

Magma Cannon - 145 Pts.
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher - 100 Pts.
6 K’daii Fireborn - 330 Pts.

Hellcannon - 205 Pts.
K’daii Destroyer - 325 Pts.

Total: 2400
His last was (about) :
Orc Warboss on Wyvern

Black Orc Big Boss BSB
Orc Big Boss on Chariot
Savage Orc Shaman lvl1 with Shrunken Head
Goblin Shaman lvl2 with Scroll

35-ish Savage Orc Big Uns with AHW
35 Goblins on wolves

Goblin chariots
3* Orc chariots

Orc Lobba
Doom Diver
Mangler Squig
Arachnarok
Deployment :

The deployment from left to center (we played basically on the half of the table) :

Fireborns, Guards+BSB+Prophet, Hobgoblins, Hellcannon, Destroyer
Behind my hobgoblins were my Magma and Deathshrier, the Daemonsmith in the middle of them had access to my machines + Hellcannon.

He had :

Orc on chariot, Boar chariot, Wolf Riders, Arachnarok, Wolf chariot, Boar chariot, Manglers, Boar chariot, Savage Orcs+2Shamans+BSB. A Wolf chariot and 2 units of Wolves in the far right.
Lobba behind the Arachnarok, Diver behind the central Boar chariot.

Basically I am outnumbered, outdeployed, and outchaffed. But he made the mistake of putting his Orcs facing my Destroyer.

First 3 turns

I get the first turn.

The first 3 turns, my Fireborns on the left will take the charge of 1 boar chariot, the Big Boss chariot, the Arachnarok and a Wolf chariot. They will die eventually (failing one T test btw), but not before killing the wolf chariot and the two Boar Chariots (the Boss on one of them is alive though).

I will kill the Wyvern with the Hellcannon, his General will panic but eventually rally and move towards my Guards.

The Mangler Squig makes a triple 6 he first turn and dies (lucky there).

My Destroyer in the center moves 18 inches the first turn to block his Savages, but he will bait my Destroyer with some chaff (I will fail all my frenzy tests this game), and with the mandatory pursuits I will eventually go into the Doom Diver and off the table T3.

My machines kill ~40% of the Savages, but the Magma Cannon and Deathshrieker die from very accurate shots of the rock lobba.

The Hobgoblins kill a unit of Wolves and a Wolf Chariot with their bows.

At that point, I killed the Mangler, 2 Wolf Chariots, 2 Orc chariots, the Doom Diver and 2 units of wolves.
I’m down the Magma Cannon, the Deathshrieker and the Fireborns.

Turns 4-5

On the left the Arachnarok and the Big Boss on foot charge my Guards in the flank, and an Orc chariot on the front. My BSB takes the challenge against his Boss and with a 2+ rerollable armour and 3A S6 I kill him taking a wound. I win the first round of combat (!), his chariot flees but the rest sticks. His chariot will rally next turn and move to position.
Then I miscast with my prophet, killing 12 Guards and putting 2 wounds on my Prophet (misscast + curse) :(. With 8 Guards left I win combat against the Arachnarok but it escapes, and later rallies because his Warboss is now near.
Then he charges with his Warboss (rallied in turn 2 but now on foot). He kills my champion in the first turn in challenge (had to see what equipment he had) but I stick, then I refuse the challenge the turn after and wins combat with static combat res, he flees and I run him down !

The Destroyer comes back and kills the rallied Orc chariot after it fled from my Guards. He’s about in the center of the table after the mandatory pursuit now, facing my table edge, once again blocking the Savages on his left flank.

In the center my Hellcannon fails a Ld test and has to charge some wolves giving cover to the savages. He destroys them of course, but is then killed by the ocne again insane rock lobba. My Hobgoblins panic (the General is out of range now) but rally later, close to my table edge.

His Savages are still stuck in the middle of the battlefield.

At this point, I killed all the chariots, all the wolves, the doom diver, the warboss on wyvern, the boss on chariot, and half the savages with shooting.
He killed my 2 warmachines, the Hellcannon, the Fireborn. I have 4 guards left and all my characters are on one wound.

Turns 6

Turn 6 is insane, be prepared.

After having run down his Warboss on foot, my 4 Guards+BSB+Prophet offer their rear to the Arachnarok. I decide to sacrifice my BSB to save the rest. My Destroyer can not charge anything and continue to block the Savages.

His turn 6 he throws everything he can at the Guards (headbutts and other projectiles, lobba) but at the end there is one left standing and my Prophet still sits on 1 wound !

He charges his Arachnarok into my BSB on 1 wound. I pass 8 (!) rerollable 4+ armour saves, then I put one wound with my Great Weapon. I win the combat by one (he has the charge, I have 1W+banner), he breaks, and I run him down (3D6 vs 2D6-1 !).

At that point, I killed : the general+wyvern, the boss+chariot, all the wolves, all the chariots, the Doom Diver, the Mangler, the Arachnarok.
He killed : the Fireborns, the Shrieker, the Magma, the HellCannon. I have one IG left, and all my characters on one wound.

It’s a win ! Even though it had a taste of a draw.

Conclusions :

For the characters, I love that BSB build. The dude has a 2+ rerollable and gives MR(2)+Steadfast to the unit, and he still has 3 WS6 S6 attacks which are going to be useful.
The Prophet costs an arm and did not have a major impact on the game. He probably killed more points of his army than anything else. That’s probably the benefit of a Taurus, at least he doesn’t kill 150 pts of guards in one misscast -_-

Stubborn Guards are great. I like the idea of the Warbanner on them, because they don’t kill much but don’t die either, so static combat resolution is the big factor.

Hobgoblins are great too. The bows were useful for taking down some chaff units, they were almost my only counter to the Mangler, had he not died in the first turn. And after that they can still reform to form a steadfast bus that can still shoot using volley fire. I like them.

Warmachines are great to kill units, but as I expected we’re not better than even orcs in counter-artillery wars. I am convinced a warmachine heavy army is doomed to fail horribly against any potent gunline like dwarves or empire. You NEED the shriekers to try to kill machines at a distance. Sure the Hellcannon can help too, but he’s unpredictable and expensive.

Fireborns are interesting. You have to play reckless with them. They are great in the first 2-3 turns, but after that you’ll eventually lose too many guys. So if you play them, rush forward !

The Destroyer is close to unkillable, but he is very easy to block and redirect. Against armies like O&G with tons of chaff, don’t expect him to do much else than being a threat.

Far2Casual:

Hey everyone, LoA is such a rare army that there isn’t much feedback about their performance yet. I though I might as well give mine. Please forgive me my mistakes in english, I’m not a native.

The game was played with competition in mind. The idea is to try to build up a list following the ETC restrictions. This was my list :

Sorcerer-Prophet, General, lvl4, Ironcurse Icon, Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield, Lore of Hashut - 355 Pts.

Infernal Castellan, GW, Dawnstone, Armour of Bazherak the Cruel, BSB - 210 Pts.
Daemonsmith Sorcerer, Charmed Shield, Scroll, Lore of Metal - 125 Pts.

28 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, M, S, C, Warbanner - 393 Pts.
40 Hobgoblin Cutthroates, Bögen, M, S - 212 Pts.

Magma Cannon - 145 Pts.
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher - 100 Pts.
6 K’daii Fireborn - 330 Pts.

Hellcannon - 205 Pts.
K’daii Destroyer - 325 Pts.

Total: 2400
His last was (about) :
Orc Warboss on Wyvern

Black Orc Big Boss BSB
Orc Big Boss on Chariot
Savage Orc Shaman lvl1 with Shrunken Head
Goblin Shaman lvl2 with Scroll

35-ish Savage Orc Big Uns with AHW
35 Goblins on wolves

Goblin chariots
3* Orc chariots

Orc Lobba
Doom Diver
Mangler Squig
Arachnarok
Deployment :

The deployment from left to center (we played basically on the half of the table) :

Fireborns, Guards+BSB+Prophet, Hobgoblins, Hellcannon, Destroyer
Behind my hobgoblins were my Magma and Deathshrier, the Daemonsmith in the middle of them had access to my machines + Hellcannon.

He had :

Orc on chariot, Boar chariot, Wolf Riders, Arachnarok, Wolf chariot, Boar chariot, Manglers, Boar chariot, Savage Orcs+2Shamans+BSB. A Wolf chariot and 2 units of Wolves in the far right.
Lobba behind the Arachnarok, Diver behind the central Boar chariot.

Basically I am outnumbered, outdeployed, and outchaffed. But he made the mistake of putting his Orcs facing my Destroyer.

First 3 turns

I get the first turn.

The first 3 turns, my Fireborns on the left will take the charge of 1 boar chariot, the Big Boss chariot, the Arachnarok and a Wolf chariot. They will die eventually (failing one T test btw), but not before killing the wolf chariot and the two Boar Chariots (the Boss on one of them is alive though).

I will kill the Wyvern with the Hellcannon, his General will panic but eventually rally and move towards my Guards.

The Mangler Squig makes a triple 6 he first turn and dies (lucky there).

My Destroyer in the center moves 18 inches the first turn to block his Savages, but he will bait my Destroyer with some chaff (I will fail all my frenzy tests this game), and with the mandatory pursuits I will eventually go into the Doom Diver and off the table T3.

My machines kill ~40% of the Savages, but the Magma Cannon and Deathshrieker die from very accurate shots of the rock lobba.

The Hobgoblins kill a unit of Wolves and a Wolf Chariot with their bows.

At that point, I killed the Mangler, 2 Wolf Chariots, 2 Orc chariots, the Doom Diver and 2 units of wolves.
I’m down the Magma Cannon, the Deathshrieker and the Fireborns.

Turns 4-5

On the left the Arachnarok and the Big Boss on foot charge my Guards in the flank, and an Orc chariot on the front. My BSB takes the challenge against his Boss and with a 2+ rerollable armour and 3A S6 I kill him taking a wound. I win the first round of combat (!), his chariot flees but the rest sticks. His chariot will rally next turn and move to position.
Then I miscast with my prophet, killing 12 Guards and putting 2 wounds on my Prophet (misscast + curse) :(. With 8 Guards left I win combat against the Arachnarok but it escapes, and later rallies because his Warboss is now near.
Then he charges with his Warboss (rallied in turn 2 but now on foot). He kills my champion in the first turn in challenge (had to see what equipment he had) but I stick, then I refuse the challenge the turn after and wins combat with static combat res, he flees and I run him down !

The Destroyer comes back and kills the rallied Orc chariot after it fled from my Guards. He’s about in the center of the table after the mandatory pursuit now, facing my table edge, once again blocking the Savages on his left flank.

In the center my Hellcannon fails a Ld test and has to charge some wolves giving cover to the savages. He destroys them of course, but is then killed by the ocne again insane rock lobba. My Hobgoblins panic (the General is out of range now) but rally later, close to my table edge.

His Savages are still stuck in the middle of the battlefield.

At this point, I killed all the chariots, all the wolves, the doom diver, the warboss on wyvern, the boss on chariot, and half the savages with shooting.
He killed my 2 warmachines, the Hellcannon, the Fireborn. I have 4 guards left and all my characters are on one wound.

Turns 6

Turn 6 is insane, be prepared.

After having run down his Warboss on foot, my 4 Guards+BSB+Prophet offer their rear to the Arachnarok. I decide to sacrifice my BSB to save the rest. My Destroyer can not charge anything and continue to block the Savages.

His turn 6 he throws everything he can at the Guards (headbutts and other projectiles, lobba) but at the end there is one left standing and my Prophet still sits on 1 wound !

He charges his Arachnarok into my BSB on 1 wound. I pass 8 (!) rerollable 4+ armour saves, then I put one wound with my Great Weapon. I win the combat by one (he has the charge, I have 1W+banner), he breaks, and I run him down (3D6 vs 2D6-1 !).

At that point, I killed : the general+wyvern, the boss+chariot, all the wolves, all the chariots, the Doom Diver, the Mangler, the Arachnarok.
He killed : the Fireborns, the Shrieker, the Magma, the HellCannon. I have one IG left, and all my characters on one wound.

It’s a win ! Even though it had a taste of a draw.

Conclusions :

For the characters, I love that BSB build. The dude has a 2+ rerollable and gives MR(2)+Steadfast to the unit, and he still has 3 WS6 S6 attacks which are going to be useful.
The Prophet costs an arm and did not have a major impact on the game. He probably killed more points of his army than anything else. That’s probably the benefit of a Taurus, at least he doesn’t kill 150 pts of guards in one misscast -_-

Stubborn Guards are great. I like the idea of the Warbanner on them, because they don’t kill much but don’t die either, so static combat resolution is the big factor.

Hobgoblins are great too. The bows were useful for taking down some chaff units, they were almost my only counter to the Mangler, had he not died in the first turn. And after that they can still reform to form a steadfast bus that can still shoot using volley fire. I like them.

Warmachines are great to kill units, but as I expected we’re not better than even orcs in counter-artillery wars. I am convinced a warmachine heavy army is doomed to fail horribly against any potent gunline like dwarves or empire. You NEED the shriekers to try to kill machines at a distance. Sure the Hellcannon can help too, but he’s unpredictable and expensive.

Fireborns are interesting. You have to play reckless with them. They are great in the first 2-3 turns, but after that you’ll eventually lose too many guys. So if you play them, rush forward !

The Destroyer is close to unkillable, but he is very easy to block and redirect. Against armies like O&G with tons of chaff, don’t expect him to do much else than being a threat.

MLP:

Great review! I like how you combined the turns it made it better to read.

I’m impressed with your BSB build, although he was lucky with the aracnarok it does seem pretty effective.

Pretty good for a first game! well done!

drakkzharr:

Congratulations on your victory! The review is well written and easy to understand. That´s not always easy to achieve with a battle report. If I may speak on behalf of chaos dwarfs online. Please keep on writing battle-reports in the name of Hashut!

Thanks alot, great read!

thrawn:

great battle report, thanks!

please post more (i posted one this morning) i find that it helps me also customize a more effective list as i don’t have to use everything 10 times, i can just read how yours did!