[Archive] First try **This message was automatically appended because it was too short.**

Kudrun:

Hey folks, I found some old plastic dwarfs and I’ve always been tempted with a chaos dwarf army, so I decided to try and convert one using tip found elsewhere on this site, and was wondering what you though :slight_smile:

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I think you’ll find you’re going to need a little more definition (on the beard and helmet and such) but that’s an excellent first attempt!!!

Grimbold Blackhammer

Kudrun:

When you say definition, do you mean more distinct indentations?

Admiral:

Not only indentations, but also sharper edges. The lines on the sculpt are round and blurry, and areas almost melt into each other, but it’s a good attempt! This is something which you’ll learn as you sculpt onwards. Practice makes perfect, and you’re clearly on the right track with that Chaos Dwarf concept. :slight_smile:

Kudrun:

Ok cool :slight_smile:

I followed this guide http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/guide1.php, but I let it set over night before I took the picture, next time I’ll be a lot more forceful when pressing in :slight_smile:

Kera foehunter:

looks good for your first one …

now lets see some more :slight_smile:

Kera foehunter:

sweetie ,i think i found your problem of not getting detail … you have more yellow than Blue

Try a 50/ 50 mix of green stuff this might help

Grimstonefire:

What tool(s) are you using?

Are you letting it dry between sculpting different things? I’d give that a go, sculpt the beard one day and the mask the next. The scales the next etc.

Admiral:

Sculpting one section at a time is the best way of sculpting, especially since it hinders one from accidentally pressing out previous sculpted green steugg areas with the thumb. Once you’ve practiced a bit more, I can recommend that you take a row of warriors, and start with the scalemail on all of them. That’s the largest, basic area, and once it is sorted out you just continue with beard or shield or whatever you like to do next.

Thumbs up for the smooth mix of green stuff, without any blue or yellow swirls.

Kudrun:

sweetie ,i think i found your problem of not getting detail .. you have more yellow than Blue
Try a 50/ 50  mix of green stuff this might help

Kera foehunter
Ah, I try to get even amounts but a lot of the time I do have more yellow than blue.
What tool(s) are you using?

Are you letting it dry between sculpting different things?  I'd give that a go, sculpt the beard one day and the mask the next.  The scales the next etc.

Grimstonefire
I used the GW modelling tool and the craft knife. I did a lot of it all at once, the last bits I did where the hands/arms and shield the day after.

Admiral:

You don’t need anything beside the modelling tool and craft knife. Oh, maybe needles for fiddly details and visor holes, but otherwise the sculpting tool is your friend in all circumstances.

Marduk:

This is one of the things I love about this site. The experts are always ready to spend a little bit of time to give some very useful advice.

Nice first try, Kudrun! Practice, practice, practice…

Kudrun:

Yeah, you’ve all been very helpful :slight_smile:

I need to figure out what to use for a standard and musician there the two bits I’m lacking for them at the moment.

Grimstonefire:

Something else I would recommend is that when you’re starting out sculpting you start working on the figures at the back of a unit first. Then by the time you get to the front your skills might have improved a bit for the models that are a lot more visible.

If you do a horde of warriors you’ll be golden daemon level by the last model! :slight_smile:

Mad Dave:

Good first try dude keep going!

Kudrun:

My next attempt:

Admiral:

The beard is an improvement from the first one. :slight_smile: Go on, try a third one and try to make the buckle or chainmail better still.

Kudrun:

The bit at the bottom of the hair was meant to be like a beard ornament heh. I have problems with the scale mail, I try to use the technique shown but it doesn’t come out as neat as his does and the models he used which are the starter box models ain’t the ones I’m using, they are the old dwarf plastic warriors so the border isn’t as prevalent.

Admiral:

Beard ornament? I tried some belt buckles during my first sculpting tests which looked like the ornament, so I thought it to be a buckle. :slight_smile:

You’ll nail the scalemail after some dwarves. I’ve found that the key to a good scalemail is to work on it at length until you’re satisfied. I usually score the horizontal lines first and then press the horizontal bands into angles so as the look like overlaps. Then I score the borders of the individual scales with roughly the same breadth (this have been quite difficult for me, and I’ve often had to smooth out some scales and redo their indented outlines).

After this I fiddle with the edges of the scales since I use a hexagonal pattern like the FW ones, which takes time to achieve. For square or rounded scales the work of producing pointy scales isn’t needed, and as such it’s just to hop to the final stages, which is pressing down the scales to flatten them and avoid bulbous scales, and then play around with any defects one are discontent with until one think it’s finished.

Kudrun:

Beard ornament? I tried some belt buckles during my first sculpting tests which looked like the ornament, so I thought it to be a buckle. :)

You'll nail the scalemail after some dwarves. I've found that the key to a good scalemail is to work on it at length until you're satisfied. I usually score the horizontal lines first and then press the horizontal bands into angles so as the look like overlaps. Then I score the borders of the individual scales with roughly the same breadth (this have been quite difficult for me, and I've often had to smooth out some scales and redo their indented outlines).

After this I fiddle with the edges of the scales since I use a hexagonal pattern like the FW ones, which takes time to achieve. For square or rounded scales the work of producing pointy scales isn't needed, and as such it's just to hop to the final stages, which is pressing down the scales to flatten them and avoid bulbous scales, and then play around with any defects one are discontent with until one think it's finished.

Admiral
Heh yea, I'll just call it a belt buckle and add a bit of more green stuff to make it look like it more. i didn't flatten my scales, maybe that's the problem, what I do is do the horizontal, then the vertical to make the squares, I try to get the overlap but I'm not sure I am doing it right. I don't flatten the squares though afterwards.