[Archive] Flank protection & redirectors

Mr Saturday:

I’d be interested in seeing what folks are using for chaff, flank protection and redirectors. My lists are turning out very small unit counts indeed for 2,400 - 2,500, and I’m worried about being out-deployed and having insufficient support units. Okay, hoggoblin wolf riders are an obvious choice, but I’m more interested in other choices folks might be making.

togo:

A hobgoblin khan on giant wolf with shield,spear and light armour 60 points.

You can use him to redirect,hunting warmachines or sniping enemy models out of units.

Mr Saturday:

That IS a fine idea. 60 points is pretty acceptable for chaff. Could start him off in a unit of riders and split him off as needed.

Da Crusha:

But what would be the plan with the khan? if he is wiped out opponent could make a free reform. if he is beaten in combat opponent doesn’t have to pursue or stay in that position. I find redirecting in 8th to be so tedious.

Mr Saturday:

I would mostly use him to take on chaff, which would at least take them out for a turn. Sure he’d get killed, but positioned right he could lead units out of position if they pursue, if not at least they’ve been held up for a turn. Mangler squigs, fanatics, ethereals, (sneaky 5 point magic sword) frenzied troops, small chaff units, the list goes on.

Da Crusha:

ok, I could see some uses. It’s so painful though when I think it used to only cost me 20 points for hobgoblins with the RH list. I have to stop comparing them x.x.

Bassman:

LoA is pretty tricky about deployment and flank protection.

I found the good old dwarf “castle” as a good option.

I place my dwarfs on a corner of the battle field. Doing so I use one of the flank of the board as a… flank protection. Nobody can overlap my troops from that side :wink:

The other flank is protected by the Destroyer and bull centaurs (when I choose this setting) or the hellcannon and hellbound rocket. I found them good flank holder. The Destroyer and bulls are a “real” flank, able to fight and counter attack. The hellcannon and hellbound rocket are strong enough to prevent light warmachine hunters to kill them and strong enough to survie 2-3 turns before diying. Consideraing that the enemy needs a couple of turns to get them, then 2-3 turn to kill them… I hold my flank for the entire battle :slight_smile:

JonJon:

Da Crusher IM having the same problems with the pts cost.

Bassman I will be stealing this set up next saturday in my game. But we play campaigns here and i find myself having to be more mobile most of the time.

Jon

Mr Saturday:

I’m having some withdrawal issues from using the IndyGT list myself. Every point seems to be ultra percious in the LoA list. I do like bull centaurs, I think they are a really solid anvil unit, but I think there is a need for a cheap throw-away support unit give us a little breathing room.

Bassman:

Check it out my lists and my gaming experiences :wink:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10132

Mr Saturday:

That’s a nice list, and your army is fantastic. I’m quite a fan of your destroyer.

JonJon:

nice list and good report