[Archive] Flying Sorcerer-Prophet

Still standing:

I am not sure if this is the right place or not, but I wanted advice on my new Flying Carpet. Would it be accepted as a Flying Carpet? How do you think I can hide the pins?

Doombeard:

you could sculpt some GS around them to make them seem like plumes of lava spewing up from below possibly. Could be more interesting than painting them black

Admiral:

It sure would be accepted as a flying carpet. Fire or lava is a good tip, like Doombeard has. Other things could be to sculpt small imps or random magical effects to hide the pins.

Geist:

If you really wanted to do a carpet I would take green stuff, and literally make a carpet. Then once its hard place it over that cork wood base thats floating. This will give you support and it will look like its floating thanks to the smaller cork wood under it giving it the illusion of suspend.

Bloodbeard:

I think that you’ve made a very nice base for your prophet! And it’ll make him stand out next to the regular daemonsmiths. Flying carpet? I don’t think so. Does it matter? Nope. This underlines perfectly that he is a badass mage!

I think making actual carpets is silly, Aladin has no place in my army.

I’ll be making a flying chaos star disc for my prophets, surfing on a whirlwind of magical fire. To make him stand out - double as a flying carpet.

I don’t make any other magical items for my character models, talismans, dragon helms, mask of the furnace etc - so why would we have to do it for the carpet.

The real tricky thing is this. Does he still fit into a unit of Infernal Guard if you want to field him like that and drop the carpet once in a while?

There will be no doubt this is the army general - he’s super cool!

Lucifer:

there is something to be said against putting your character on a flying carpet and that is modelling for advantage…

the item gives you flying, doesnt make you a monster, doesn’t chage your base size or unit type…

i think, if you plopped your big unit down and then, in the front rank, you put a mage raised 2 inches ir so above your other models id be concerned you had done so for LoS purposes…

Yodrin:

That would pas as a flying carpet to me, and its a cool conversion, very nicely done!!

Bloodbeard:

there is something to be said against putting your character on a flying carpet and that is modelling for advantage...

the item gives you flying, doesnt make you a monster, doesn't chage your base size or unit type...

i think, if you plopped your big unit down and then, in the front rank, you put a mage raised 2 inches ir so above your other models id be concerned you had done so for LoS purposes...

Lucifer
My warmachines are pretty large, high and on huge bases. That gives a small LoS advantage, but all my opponents has liked their advantage better. Easy cannonball targets, easy to charge etc. But we take about it before games.

I do the same with my raised mages. "I've build this to look cool. Let's agree his eye sight is here." And then somewhere on the middle of the miniature. That's where I laser point from, and that's where people will have to hit. So I've had no trouble there yet. As a flying carpet solo goer - he'll be easier to cannon snipe otherwise.

I think the whole LoS, don't change miniature size deal is way bigger in 40k. Had a friend drop the game because of that.

sam585:

If you paint the pins black, and making the flaoting rocks pop with lighter shades but, keeping the rock he is standing on black, it will create a little illusion and make it harder to notice on the table top. Additionally you could get more creative and make the rocks float but hide as to where they are actually attached (usually by attaching them to the sorcerer, or modeling flames first and then sneakily attaching the floating rock to the flame, but in a way that you cant really notice on a simple glance that it is attached. Or you could just say forget it all and model flaming wings on your prophet like i did :stuck_out_tongue:

Morgrim Bloodbeard:

I think he looks great…have lava and flames around and he is good to go…nice job

MadHatter:

Well, I for one love our carpet sorcs. Remember the 4+ Look out Sir! when landing close to your own units. Work around enemy front arcs and mind bolt throwers, play it right and your enemies will fear him like a chessplayer fears the enemy queen :hat off

Model looks real good! It go with some flames personally.

TheHoodedMan:

LoS would not concern me at all. I recommend using a line of sight ruling that doesn`t relay on the actual model size, there are many around. We always play a system thats called “Simple line of sight” and this prevents discussions and speeds up play.

I like your model. It looks like he has magically ripped a rock from the molten ground and hovers around on it. I am looking forward to see it painted.

Kera foehunter:

cotton balls  if you have a wife or girl friend or sister then they will have this

the cotton ball would make cool clouds and this will hide the pins

here is picture to help you

torn:

Because you dont want the pins to be obvious I would just paint them black. Fire/smoke/lava is all a good idea but it will emphasise where you have your pins and wont look very natural in just those 2 places.

The floating rock idea is pretty cool

Mivrash Faz:

cotton balls  if you have a wife or girl friend or sister then they will have this
the cotton ball would make cool clouds and this will hide the pins

here is  picture to help you

Kera foehunter
Kera, that's a cool idea! I like the way that looks.:hat off

Geist:

A modeler with out cotton balls for smoke effect? For shame young dawi!!!