[Archive] Forge World "Equipment"

Abecedar:

Just had a more serious look at attachments for the Iron Daemon in regards to assembling a train and does it seem strange that the Death Shrieker and Magma Cannon both fire straight forward. Won’t this fry the Iron daemons rear end and its crew. Does this mean you have to drop them before you can fire?

rabotak:

actually they fire straight backward and therefore will not incinerate the iron daemon :wink:

on a more serious note, the experimental rules dont state if there is a restriction inwhich direction they’re supposed to fire, as long as WF doesn’t clear it up i guess it is allowed to fire them in any direction ( for the magma cannon as long as there is line of sight, of course).

snowblizz:

I haven’t kept really abreast of the new FW stuff but the land train isn’t exactly a “fighting train” as we would think of it, a la WW1 & 2 right? I always assumed they would detach the individual components for a battle.

rabotak:

if i recall correctly, the experimental rules state that as long as you dont move you’re allowed to fire all the weapons, in whatever direction.

Abecedar:

Have got the rules somewhere but i was looking at the physical models (on the forge world website) and they all (except the dreadquack) point forward, with no swivel mounts or turrets etc. So what I meant was that to ever fire one, you have to disconnect it and turn it to face whatever target otherwise it would always be aimed at the rear on to the Iron Daemon.

rabotak:

you’re right here, it does seem a little awkward… i guess the intention must have been having one gun pointing forward, the daemon, one backward and the dreadquake by swivel in all directions… aesthetically probably the best decision, but in technical terms of course rather poorly designed!

Ugly Green Trog:

I do really like the train idea but I probably won’t ever employ it in a game, I will use the war machines in the traditional standalone manner. Not to mentione the cost of the dreadquake is too expensive for me, I’m probably gonna cast a few sets of wheels (naughty me) from the magma cannon or deathshrieker and make my own mortar and carriage ala the more traditional CD mortar.

rabotak:

I do really like the train idea but I probably won't ever employ it in a game, I will use the war machines in the traditional standalone manner.

Ugly Green Trog
agreed, I dont really see the use ... 4x6 /4x8 ft is just to small
to justify up to 40 extra points spent to being able to drive the cannons around while not being able to shoot at the same time, because range just isn´t an issue here... and while SoM is nice and all, it doesn´t necesserily support bigger tables as much as apoc for example, and "normal" games of 4-5k+, which would be suited for a bigger table, just take too long to be played regularly... it is a nice option, and a beautiful model, but neither do i think that the carriage rule will be used much - come to think of it, i can see some tactics involving setting up the magma cannon nearer to the front for some flanking fire, while supported by the ID, but still...