[Archive] Forgeworld Chaos Dwarfs... hell, why not?

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Fellow Firedwarfs, I have been thinking. Why not let Forgeworld do the Chaos Dwarfs for us? :hat

They did an incredible job with the Death Korps of Krieg, and rumour has it that this line was so well sold that it brought back the development costs in no time.

The most obvious advantage for us would be the much shorter development time. Forgeworld basically only design the miniatures, then pull some moulds and cast them. No need to work out complicated metal injection moulds for any plastics!

These Chaos Dwarfs would be hideously expensive, but probably still a lot cheaper than buying the old models from the archives or collectors all over the world, or converting them by ourselves.

There would also be some advantages for Games Workshop:

1) they won’t need to dedicate an entire line of boxed sets, metal minis and promotion into an army that they most probably are afraid to fully commit to, due to the bad sales some 15 years or so ago.

2) Forgeworld could try out some designs for the gaming community. If they find one that sells well, there are good chances for GW to be successful with them as well. They did that before - trying out different styles of the Tau battlesuits and tanks, not to forget the Piranha… many of them actually made it from expensive resin models into full-grown plastic kits for the second edition of the Tau Empire.

3) there would be no need for an army book right away, people could use the miniatures based on either the Ravening Hordes list, or a set of pdf rules released by Forgeworld.

Forgeworld offers everyone a chance to give them feedback when you order something online. When asked what I’d really like them to do next, I used to write “Death Korps miniatures”. And look what we got. :cheers From now on, I shall type in "Give me Chaos Dwarfs, in Hashut’s name!!"

What do you think? Nonsense, or feasible?

Lord Zarkov:

Might as well give it a go, we don’t lose anything

And if they give us immortals we might get rules for them…

WarplockMonkey:

I think its a great idea! Where do i send it?

Ishkur Cinderhat:

While you could bombard their email address with requests for miniatures, I doubt that these will ever reach them. I think their inbox must get some 500.000 emails per day. :confused: But every time you order something from them, you get the possibility during the online ordering process to input what you want them to make next.

Nazhur:

I think this could be a god way. As GW so far is ignoring us(and propably will until 09) then we can actually ask the nice fellows at Forgeworld to do some funky things. So far everything they have done is more or less top knot all over. I would lvoe them try to do the CD�s

Hashut’s Blessing:

I think that ti’s better to ask them to make them and then if we don’t like them/can’t afford them not buy them, however, since i can’t afford Forgeworld stuff, I’ll have to sit this one out…

torn:

Hi there new member here

I fact ive just started playing warhammer again for the first time in 15 years . . . and i think the whole forgeworld idea would be great, would certainly save a lot of time, and when you think of the cost of converting materials i cant imagine the price difference being substantial after converting a whole army of regular dwarfs.

BTW Ishkur i love what you have done with the resin molds. I always wanted to do that to create my own genestealer cult conversion pieces for imperial guards, but i think now i will have to get some chaos dwarf conversion pieces made up!

Xander:

This is not a bad idea.

Another good idea would be to get new miniatures via Bloodbowl. Since that is still a fairly active game that involves Chaos Dwarfs, a small model range would be feasable.

dabiggrotsboss:

Here is the email I sent to Forgeworld.

Hello!

While I understand that you will not respond to my email, I hope you will read it. I asked for the Weathertop model every month until it was re-made (and promptly ordered two of them!), so here goes with my petition for Chaos Dwarfs. Currently, FW is lacking in Warhammer product. The terrain is fantastic, but there are too few models.

Why not produce Chaos Dwarfs? They can be used with the downloadable army rules, or even with the Dwarf army book (as GW Staffer Kris Aubin did here in Canada). They have a cult following, and would in my humble opinion be as popular as the Death Korps.

Models needed:

1. Chaos Dwarf Warrior with Axe & Shield

2. Chaos Dwarf Warrior with Blunderbuss

3. Chaos Dwarf Hero-Sorcerer - 3 or 4 variations?

4. Earthshaker Cannon

5. Rockets

6. Bull Centaurs

7. Hobgoblins?

I implore you to take up this challenge and make Chaos Dwarfs!

Sincerely,

Grant

Ishkur Cinderhat:

That’s quite nice!

…however you forgot to mention you would immediately sacrifice some slaves as a sign of gratitude… which is pretty much the only reason I can think of why Forgeworld would not immediately take on this project. :slight_smile:

angryboy2k:

For what it’s worth, I sent them a letter, too. I pledged my support and my credit card for any and all CD models they might make, and offered a thousand slaves on the altar of Hashut.

Steve

Pyro Stick:

Forge World are very expensive though. I heard a unit of the Death Korps was very expensive. If Forge World remade chaos dwarfs and tried to sell them for large prices i wouldnt buy them no matter how tempting it might be. Maybe only one or two models.

dabiggrotsboss:

Forge World are very expensive though. I heard a unit of the Death Korps was very expensive. If Forge World remade chaos dwarfs and tried to sell them for large prices i wouldnt buy them no matter how tempting it might be. Maybe only one or two models.

Pyro Stick
There's no question they would be premium-priced. That's Forgeworld. But the bitz blunderbusses, and the bull centaurs that are available now from GW are still very expensive. And we can't get axemen or characters.

The Dark One:

Pyro Stick
There's no question they would be premium-priced. That's Forgeworld. But the bitz blunderbusses, and the bull centaurs that are available now from GW are still very expensive. And we can't get axemen or characters.

dabiggrotsboss
thats a good point

angryboy2k:

Well, I got a very nice response from Forgeworld today (and I wasn’t really expecting one, maybe it was the slaves that swung it), saying that basically they’d love to but right now they’re focused on Aeronautica Imperialis and Imperial Armour stuff.

Steve

torn:

I suppose thats a pretty positive response, cant really expect any more than that. All it takes is for one of their sculptors to get the idea into his head for the ball to start rolling.

Nazhur:

Thats ounsd like a ok answer. Of course it would be nice with something more solid but at least they now know that its customers out there intersted in chaos dwarfs and thats good.

wallacer:

Well at least you got an answer. If nothing else they seem to be receptive to input from their customers.

Sobek:

Thats heartening. It might not happen anytime soon, but at least they seem open to it. Maybe if the rest of us send them e-mails, they might put CD a little higher on their to-do list.

wallacer:

Maybe if the rest of us send them e-mails, they might put CD a little higher on their to-do list.

Sobek
Or they might get annoyed and decide not to ;)