[Archive] Gaming table building estimate

Stampy:

Hey fellow gamers;

I was just wondering if anybody would know how much I could expect to pay for a professional to build me a 8’ x 4’ wargame table with wheels? I’m not really a handyman or I would do it myself. Thanks for any help. :expressionless:

snowblizz:

I remember a guy on TWF building his own…aaah…link:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49547&start=60

FINAL TOTAL:

Money Spent: $103.89

Time Spent: 22 hours
Depending on what people price their time for it could end up clsoe to the GW boards…

Nicodemus:

Depending on what people price their time for it could end up clsoe to the GW boards...

snowblizz
Unless this person is a friend of yours and is willing to give you a break on the cost of labour, you should easily expect to pay 2-3x what the materials cost.

I also assuming you don't mean a table that's got terrain features etc, but just the boards and legs to hold the table up. Raw materials will easily be under $100US/CDN, and you can get hardware for the legs for anywhere from $40-$200 depending on what you're looking at having it do. If you want the legs to be foldable and the table to also have recessed wheels for transport when the legs are folded up you're probably looking at the high end of the hardware. If you just wanted four sturdy legs that remain fixed, $40 or less would do it depending on whether you go for metal legs or have the guy build you legs out of lumber.

I had a friend who bought two wooden doors that had flat surfaces (no bevelling and no doorknob holes cut), attached to eachother with some special hinges and had some folding legs screwed into each door. As the hinges were on the bottom side of the table, when it was opened out and the legs extended you just had a seam down the middle of the table, but then it could be folded up and was only a little bit thicker than two doors. It was close to 7'x7' if I remember correctly and the hold thing cost him under $200... but he also build it himself. I've been thinking about building something similar, but instead of getting legs that screw into the doors, I'll just get flat base plates that the legs can screw and unscrew from (IKEA and similar stores have these for fairly cheap)... and you can always find inexpensive doors for cheap at building supply stores ;)

~N

Sherlocko:

What do you mean by wheels? :slight_smile:

cornixt:

Get a basic table, put a 8x4 sheet of plywood on top (a standard size so no cutting required), wheels on the legs (why don’t tables have feet?). No real effort other than a simple screw driver.

ryanamandaanna:

It just occurred to me that you can’t buy a folding table that is 6’ x 4’ or 8’ x 4’. 30" (in the US, at least) seems to be the max width of a table. :frowning:

Thorne:

I’ve had people asking me before how much a themed board can sell for. Sadly unless you are able to beg borrow and steal packing foam and polystyrene you can be talking up to £200 when you look at it the gw one isn’t too far wrong sad for me to say. That said a board didn’t need to be completely foam formed and could be made for a fraction of that price depending on your requirements be it a mdf board to place over a normal table and add opposing hills ect ect or even looking for old table tennis tables work too.

Rickie:

I also went the kitchen table with a sheet of something on it. Then just bought some fabric and stapled it on, cost me less then 40 quid.

If you have a solid roof you can also atach the board to it with wires, when you dont need it you just pull it up. Real space saver if that whats bothering you.

rpitts2004:

I also went the kitchen table with a sheet of something on it. Then just bought some fabric and stapled it on, cost me less then 40 quid.

If you have a solid roof you can also atach the board to it with wires, when you dont need it you just pull it up. Real space saver if that whats bothering you.

Rickie
I like to lean on tables, so that would be a disaster

Rickie:

There are ways so that you can have a escalator table and still be able to lean on it. First way would be to build a sturdy frame, will require cement or solid wood ceiling.

Or you just have a normal table underneath when you winch it down, like the kitchen table or the living room one.

The Charioteer:

What about 6 pieces of 2X2 Chipboard or plywood. Put a battlemat on it and you have a easy to store table that can be placed on any surface. Also you could paint the plywood to be a volcanic battlefield.