[Archive] Gary Gygax (1938-2008)

Willmark:

Although not warhammer related, a sad loss for the entire gaming industry:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27952

The man was truly a giant in the gaming world. Warhammer started with a many direct influences from D&D, and I’m sure some here have played it too :wink:

RIP Gary until we meet in the great beyond and I take on that red dragon you’ve been bragging about! :slight_smile:

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

he wrote a lot of the dungeons and dragons adventure books, he will be much missed :frowning:

Thommy H:

No, he wrote Dungeons and Dragons. Like, the original version.

RIP, Gary.

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

i didnt know he did the original, he will be more missed than i thought

Willmark:

Yep, basically he and Dave Arneson created the industry. He is often called the “Father of Role-playing games” and rightly so IMHO.

Ghrask Dragh:

Looking through the posts on the linked site he was obviously a very popular and well-respected man.

Never nice to see someone go, RIP Gary and best wishes to friends and family.

Thommy H:

I think in the Futurama episode in which he guest starred he was referred to as “the inventor of Dungeons and Dragons”, which is pretty accurate. I actually have the first edition Player’s Handbook sitting on my shelf - to be honest, it’s virtually unreadable and definitely unplayable, but it was the first time anyone had even thought to create a game like this, so it can be forgiven. He made up D&D, and the whole gaming industry (including Warhammer - Games Workshop was built on being the first company in the UK to sell D&D) followed his lead.

wallacer:

I still remember when Warhammer used to have level 20 and level 25 heroes and White Dwarf used to have role playing games articles in it.

Gary Gygax was a visionary.

Hespithe:

Rest in peace, Gary. Best wishes to the family as well.

Malificant:

i met him once. he didnt live too far from milwaukee(lake geneva), and when gencon was still in brew city he ran the D&D show.

GRNDL:

Other feats of Gygax: Vault of the Drow, Queen of the Demonweb Pits!! He created some of the best hack’n’slash D&D modules too, creating the Drow in the process. Before Gygax, dark elves were merely normal elves who hadn’t “seen the light of the trees of the valar”. Gygax made them into twisted sadists who worship the spider queen, Llolth. The DE legacy lives on and is one of the most imitated races in fantasy. He might even have invented the Duergar based on the Nordic mythic dwarves who generally weren’t very nice… which might mean he was some kind of progenitor of the CD!! (has anyone done a geneology of CD in myth and lit?)

Then lets not forget the world Greyhawk!!

He will be remembered, but he hadn’t had much to do with the industry for many years, if I’m not mistaken. THere was rumours that he was contributing to a MMORPG video game, but I haven’t heard much about that.

Anyone know how he died?

Willmark:

He posted on DF regularly under the alias of Col Pladoh. he had health problems for a number of years and a intestinal embolism for some period of time, whether that ruptured or not is unknown.

GRNDL- You are correct. Almost all of the “classic modules” were his creation as well as some of the coolest monsters to boot. Don’t forget G1-3 “Against the Giants”, S1- tomb of Horrors to name a few more off the top of my head.

I actually have the first edition Player’s Handbook sitting on my shelf - to be honest, it’s virtually unreadable and definitely unplayable, but it was the first time anyone had even thought to create a game like this, so it can be forgiven.

Thommy H
Strongly disagree, Clunky at times and wordy in others it still feels like “home” in terms of RPGs. So much so my friends and I have struck up a 1st edition game a few months back and been having a great time playing in it. In fact just played tonight.

Malificant:

greyhawk adventures was a great game.

DARKTROOPER:

the greyhawk books were also pretty cool…I enjoyed at least. I really enjoy a good round of Dungeons and Dragons every once and a while…