[Archive] Getting into 40k, some ideas on saving money

Swissdictator:

While I have Vostroyans, and lots of them, I want to make them my “oooh shiney!” paint job. In other words, I want to put a year or two into painting them.

I’m thinking of using the SM from the starter box and, with a little help from my zombie bits, making Nurgle CSM. Possibly Heresy era style.

Since some of you know 40k better then I do (I’ve only done a demo), and know the figs, what do you guys think about this idea? What advice to you have for accomplishing this? How much am I looking at running in cost?

slev:

Since you know what you’re doing with conversions, I’d also mix in a box of CSM. This gives you a coupple of full squads. The Terminators and Dreadnought will need quite heavy conversion work, but you should have the bits left over if you are doing a full Chaos army.

KRUG_666:

Umm, Nurgle Marines or Heresy-Death Guard?

clam:

Ghrask D showed me a Blog from the Warhammer Forum with Nurgle Marauders made with use of Zombie bitz - and it gave them that Nurgle feel instantly - so I’m sure it will work on SMs too . - and as slev said a single box of CSM and perhaps some possessed bitz - could easily turn you starter set into a fully Chaos SM army.

GRNDL:

At the time of the Heresy, the Death Guard really didn’t have any mutations or even much of an association with Nurgle yet. I’d imagine Swiss means Heresy style armour but “modern day” 40k Marines that have spent a lot of time getting mutated…

I’ve been messing around with truescale pre-heresy Alpha Legion models and to get the Heresy look down requires a bit of attention to detail if you want to get it right. I do have some tips, but some of the solutions aren’t cost effective, IMO.

KRUG_666:

No, Pre-Heresy Marine armies are not cost effective…

Trust me, I know…lol…

Swiss-D - You could just buy a box of berzerkers and box of CSM’s mix it up with some green stuff…

Swissdictator:

Well I already have a ton of zombie bits from all the VC I’ve done. Plus I don’t mind pulling out the Exacto knife.

It’d be nice as I could get the mini-rulebook and figures and do some conversion work and get more bang for my buck.

Some good advice so far.

GRNDL: You hit it on the head. Modern era, but old look.

Xander:

I highly suggest grabbing a box of Chaos Knights for parts that will be 100% compatible with the CSM and SM kits. And if you want, you can send the left over horses to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

clam:

I highly suggest grabbing a box of Chaos Knights for parts that will be 100% compatible with the CSM and SM kits. And if you want, you can send the left over horses to me. :P

Xander
What do we have here? - another one who is doing a Bull Cantaur conversion - with the use om these great steeds?