[Archive] GH #3 Entry - early WIP

bandnerd1892:

All right everyone, here is the beginning of my GH#3 entry: A Hobgobo on Wolf. Since the GW wolfs are crap I’ve decided to sculpt my own in the hopes that it would look more aggressive than GW’s. So without further ado, I present to you my VERY EARLY WIP of my full sculpted wolf.

The model still needs a little more bulking out of the leg musculature and of course, all the other details. But that comes later!

Updates coming soon!!

nerd

Xander:

The armature looks great, as do the initial layers! This should be awesome!

wallacer:

Hopefully this is going to be an ongoing blog of the work in progress?

clam:

Looks promising! - will the Hobbo rider also be your own sculpt?

bandnerd1892:

Hello everyone!

@ Xander - Thx alot

@ Wallacer - This is going to be an ongoing blog of this model. I’m trying to dedicate 30 min to an hour everyday in the hopes that this model will be absolutely amazing by the time GH #3 comes around.

@ Clam - For the most part the hobbo rider is going to be my own sculpt. As of right now, I plan on sculpting the legs directly onto the wolf and using attaching the torso of the hobbo rider so that atleast some part of the model will be GW made. I also plan on sculpting the arms but I haven’t really spent a whole lot of time thinking about the rider. Right now I’m just trying to stay focused on the wolf.

Thx everybody for your comments! Right now I’m working on the head/face of the wolf but I haven’t had much luck with finding that perfect look. I have a few ideas I’m going to try today and I hope I can get pics up later tonight!

nerd

Kobarf:

Looks great, what kind of putty are you using for sculpting?

I’ll be watching this one :cheers.

Kobarf

Dracomancer:

Thx everybody for your comments! Right now I'm working on the head/face of the wolf but I haven't had much luck with finding that perfect look. I have a few ideas I'm going to try today and I hope I can get pics up later tonight!

nerd

bandnerd1892
One thing you could try is looking at a real wolf's face: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf
This method also helps when deciding on a paint-scheme, I myself quite like this look for a wolf, for what my opinion is worth:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Canis_lupus_laying.jpg

Good luck with your entry, sculpting a model isn't easy ;).

bandnerd1892:

@ Kobarf - the base putty is brown stuff. I only use it to get the rough shape of the mini. Then I add all the details in with GS.

@ Dracomancer - I’m thinking about using this one as a base…

nerd

Kobarf:

Make sure to put the eyes to the front instead of the side as GW does… wolves are predators after all so they’ll need their depth vision to leap onto those pesky elves!!

Kobarf

Ghrask Dragh:

Make sure to put the eyes to the front instead of the side as GW does
:):):) Yes, another stroke of genius by GW!

Looks like a really good start to this nerd, I'm looking forward to the rest. I really like seeing the step by step photos of a model (which is why I did it with my Lammasu) I think it's really good reference for people who haven't tried it before. Please show as many WIP shots as you can.
Good Luck with the rest of the model!