[Archive] Ghorgon - Any Ideas?

Neil:

I’m looking for suggestions for a good way to get a Ghorgon model into my Beastmen army.

I’ve seen the custom sculpted versions that are floating around and they are too expensive, so I’m left with a conversion or an alternative model.

There are no blindingly obvious alternatives, the best I’ve seen is the Hordes Titan Bronzeback, but that’s £30, which seems a bit steep to me.

My conversion skills are limited - I made a warshrine by putting a heap of skulls on a chariot, and I managed to put a plastic chaos knight onto Dieter Helsnicht’s Manticore, but that’s as good as it gets.

So what I wondered was has anyone seen any good alternative models, or fairly simple conversions that I could use as a source of ideas?

Thanks.

Baggronor:

Bloodthirster conversion? Convert from Minotaur plastics/Doombull? The Old Minotaur Lord (£15 from GW site) with some extra bits, or his head and arms added to a plastic Minotaur? Or Ebay the old Keeper of Secrets? He is rather small but has 4 arms and a bull’s head, I picked one up for £2.50 last week.

Zanko:

What exactly is that Ghorgon model?

I know two kind of models …  a bull like creature and Medusa (one of the three Gorgons in the greek mythology) !

… or do you mean a complete other model?

Could you post a pic?

:hashut

snowblizz:

What exactly is that Ghorgon model?

Could you post a pic?

Zanko
There exist no current model for it. It is basically a minotaur giant.

Have you looked here for inspiration:
http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showtopic=20283

clam:

Thinkthe Oxgore that Warplock M did for Maelstrom’s Banebeasts is supposed to be an Ghorgon:

But definitely not an alternative at £70 :sick

snowblizz:

Thinkthe Oxgore that Warplock M did for Maelstrom's Banebeasts is supposed to be an Ghorgon:

But definitely not an alternative at £70 :sick

clam
Yupp! I assumed this was the "custom sculpted expensive ones" the OP referred to.

Frankly if price is an issue I'd leave it out completely. The Beastman rares just aren't particularly good in 8th, they were sorta worked in 7th when they could break units and not get hit back so much but now there's so much better things to spend points on. Like Bestigors. Man I did not see myself saying that 1 year ago.

Zanko:

Ok I understand - a special monster! :o

But the model clam posted is really awful and 70 GBP is much too expensive! :mad

:hashut

cornixt:

Sounds like you should just use the GW giant with a bull head then.

DarkWingDuck:

Have you tried over at the herdstone?
http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone

In particular, this thread consists of nothing but Ghorgon conversions:
http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showtopic=20283

I’ve got around 4,000 pts worth of beastmen painted, and the Ghorgon I made was based off the giant kit (and a spare head from a Tuskgor Chariot). It wasn’t too hard.

I put the giant kit together almost as is, cut back the neck a bit so the Tuskgor head fit better, and used the two extra arms from the giant kit as the extra two Ghorgon arms (slotted them in under the armpits). Some plasticard was then used to make the two “blades”. Lastly, I used greenstuff and sculpted fur to hide all the joins (and to make it look less like a generic giant). Fur is probably some of the easiest sculpting you can do.