[Archive] Giants

macvurrich:

Quick question

building a Chaos Dwarf Army, and as part of a theme I working on I was looking into adding a Chaos/Salve/Free Giant into the list

Tried searching site and google but couldn’t see a definate yes or no, so sorry if miseed

does anyone know if this would be ok via a rare choice aka Dogs of War

cheers for any help

Ubertechie:

There is no reason why you cannot use a Giant as a rare choice (Dogs of war) as long as your opponent agrees  - whilst some people may argue that its not technically within our army list I dont think anyone would mind in a pick up style game. However I would say that our existing rare choices are both significantly better than a giant

macvurrich:

Cheers for that

I’m taking it about 2k

it fit in with My other army that of which this will be a part of in that they travel with them as an expendionary force

(10k of OK nomadic warband )

BilboBaggins:

According to the rules for the Dogs of War Giant there are only 6 armies allowed to field it.

Empire

Dark Elves

Vampire Counts

Tomb Kings

Skaven

Dogs of War

I checked the Chaos Dwarf list to see what we are allowed to take from the Orcs and Goblins list that are not already listed on our list.

Orc Boyz

Goblins

Black Orcs

So my understanding under the rules you cannot legally take a Giant, but in fun games with your opponents permission you can take one.

Hulkster:

What Bilbo said I am afraid

my gaming group said they would not mind 1, but by the letter of the law they cannot have one.

Ubertechie:

Its the same as the hellcannon - we cannot have one of those but most people don’t mind you using one in your CD army - although this is probably more relief from not having to face an earthshaker …

Kera foehunter:

I would like to know this to can cd field a giant

Hulkster:

officially no they cannot

though fluff wise there is no reason why they would not be able to field slave giants.

as I said it depends on your gaming group

BilboBaggins:

I personally follow the letter of the rules. So no Giant or Hell Cannon in my army. I explain away the Hell Cannon saying that yes the Chaos Dwarfs did create it for Storm of Chaos but no General in the CD army would trust it enough to use it.

Border Reiver:

Besides if you want to spend 205 points on an rare choice - you could get that many points of ogres, ironguts, leadbleachers or maneaters. That is if you don’t want either of our own choices.

Baggronor:

Well, if someone lets you use the Ravening Hordes list, they probably won’t be too fussed about you using a Giant.

BilboBaggins:

I had them demand to see the army list to make sure I wasn’t cheating them. And I’m known for my balanced and legal lists.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

If you were to use the Giant in a Skirmish campaign game where you take 2 opposing armies and then try to see which army can capture the giant. At the end of Game #1, the winning army gets to use the Giant to crush the loosing army, then that could be a good way to play it. However, rules and fluff wise, the Giant can’t be part of the CD army…even if he was a slave.

macvurrich:

Besides if you want to spend 205 points on an rare choice - you could get that many points of ogres, ironguts, leadbleachers or maneaters. That is if you don't want either of our own choices.

Border Reiver
My Ogres are a Nomadic wanders but don't work that well below 3k
what a "smaller" army that in theme was travelling with the Ogres
CD's supply and up keep the Ogres with the Leadblechers and other techincal equipment
The ogres supply extra defence, slaves and in this case a Giant
A Hellcannon in theme way wouldn't work as it's too big to lug around the world ( I know the Giants and the mammoth in the OK list are big ) and Centaurs would msot likely drawe to much unwanted attention to the mission that the CD are on

So that why I though a Giant would work

Thansk for the reply one and all

Auretious Taak:

Are Dogs of War even legal anymore? My understanding was that GW phased them out and made Dogs of War illegal for use (casual doesn’t matter we’re talking about letter of teh rules, CD’s are still official army book or not, I could swear they made Dogs of War redundant as they stopped putting them into the newer released Army Books starting with the most recent Orc and Goblin Book, if you look an edition back Dogs of War were in there as a rare choice, they stopped that practice to phase them out…).

The official answer has been given, we can’t take a Giant. Nor can we take a Hellcannon.

To Ogres being better as rare units then Giants, I have played pure Night Goblins across 3 editions of the game and am largely undefeated. Ogres suck major major sausage in comparison to the Giants. You’d be missing the point that the Giant is SIUPPOSED to die. If he makes it to turn 3, you’re dancing, if he makes it to turn 2 you’re over the moon. Turn 3 and not dead you’re jumping up and down on some random unit so it’s awesome…

Hazkar:

when the plastic giant came out,in the german wd was a rule list for him

with rules for the chaos giant,so mortal chaos can use him

and thats the point:are cd counting as mortal chaos army or not?

i would say yes,cause i want one

BilboBaggins:

The Giant and Ogres are the current legal Dogs of War. There are tournaments that will allow (some even mandate) units of dogs of war or regiments of renown.

For some silly reason GW wants players to have the rules for their armies in one book. Personally I would think selling more books would be a better idea.

I don’t believe Chaos Dwarfs are not considered a true part of Chaos. If they were then the Dark Elves would have be Chaos Elves (Cult of Slaneesh). Actually the Dark Elves should follow Slaneesh, it seems to fit better.

Grotsnik:

why dont u create a conversion of say a slave giant, write some rules for it and contact willmark to see if they can be put in word of hashut

BilboBaggins:

Or you could just use the Giant rules from the pdf (or Slave Giant from Ogre Kingdoms) with permission of your opponent.

Auretious Taak:

when the plastic giant came out,in the german wd was a rule list for him
with rules for the chaos giant,so mortal chaos can use him
and thats the point:are cd counting as mortal chaos army or not?
i would say yes,cause i want one

Hazkar
Your reasoning is flawed.

I would take units of Waywatchers because I want them but the world doesn't work like that.

Chaos Dwarves ARE NOT CHAOS in the traditional sense. Do they worship Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh or Tzeentch? Heck no! Hashut. Different army, different play style. Their entire currency is based off of slaves. Slave giants are great and all but there's a reason why Giants are slaves to Ogres - because Ogres can keep them in chains, Chaos dwarves would be eaten or stomped on as the Giant rebelled. Chaos Dwarves don't count as a mortal chaos army. they are affected by Chaos but are completely separate for the simple fact that there isn't a single chaos dwarf demon prince around now is there? There might be the odd one that left the CD lands but that's it and that's fine just like otehr races do but as a whole the army isn't Mortal Chaos. They traded the Hellcannon to Mortal Chaos generals et al, but hey, they trade in these things after all...If you want mortal chaos, take a mortal chaos army, take your slave giant and I'll just drop earthshaker rounds next to him and bolt thrower him to death because I am awesome and Chaos dwarves can do that whereas Chaos Mortals suck majorly copmparatively.