[Archive] Golden Hat #16

Nicodemus:

Welcome to the 16th Golden Hat competition of Chaos Dwarfs Online!

Subject Matter

The subject for this Golden Hat is to create 1-3 K’daai Fireborn models, based on the unit from the new Legion of Azgorh Chaos Dwarf list from Forge World. Basing is on a square base with a choice of either 40x40mm or 50x50mm (your choice, but if you create more than one K’daai model their base sizes must all be the same).

The K’daai model can represent any of the following from the Legion of Azgorh:

K’daai Fireborn

K’daai Manburner (effectively the unit champion)

K’daai are daemons which have been enslaved by Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers and contained within an armoured framework of metal. The entry cannot be a a duel or diorama and must, at a minimum, reasonably represent a K’daai Fireborn/Manburner.

Basing

Either 40x40mm or 50x50mm square bases only, but is the entrant’s choice.

Display bases are not allowed.

Diorama style bases are not allowed.

The full rules for basing can be found here.

Specifics

Subject: 1-3 K’daai Fireborn (minimum if 1 K’daai and a maximum of 3)

The due Date: 11:59 PM December 31st 2011 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)

Please read the full rules that apply to the Golden Hat competition before submitting your entry.

What is the deadline?

Once again same basic premise as previous Golden Hats; send all entries to the Golden Hat account no later 11:59 PM December 31st 2011 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone). Entries will not be accepted after that date and time regardless of how cool your submission is. (Entrants have ~6 weeks to complete entries).

If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff. In order to avoid problems, entrants should not wait until the last minute to submit their entries…

How to Enter

Upload up to 4 photos of your entries to the Internet. Next, send a PM to Golden Hat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous Golden Hats).

If you win:

- Rightly take your place in the Golden Hat Hall of Fame, where your glory will be remembered for years to come.

- Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona *

- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 50 people enter we award 50 slaves to each person who entered.

*= As with previous Golden Hats; if there are more then 10 entrants the silver and bronze Golden Hat Medals will be awarded as well.

Entries will count towards a veteran medal.

Once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting within the first week of 2012. If there are any questions please send a PM to myself, another Staff member or post them here. Ideally post them here so that everyone can benefit from any details or clarifications that may arise.

~N

Bassman:

New Golden Hat at last! :smiley:

Great idea with a LoA entry. We are slowly getting our Tamurkhan books so it’s a good idea to have a Golden Hat celebrating this great event!

Dunno if I will manage to be in but great theme!

Zanko:

Very interesting but difficult theme!

I have no idea yet but there is still some time left! :wink:

I’m eager to see much cool entries!

:hashut

tjub:

Yay! :smiley:

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

clam:

Ending New Years eve? Now that could give some interesting pictures :smiley: Would have preferred a deadline mid January. Many of you might see Christmas as a hobby holiday, but family father’s don’t :wink: Will not have much time for this, so will probably not make this one, sorry. But glad to see GH back on i’s feet, of course.

But should I - unexpectedly find time - I then do have a few questions (as a non-book-holder):

Will this demon-bound creature be armed with any weapons? And in that case, what are their options?

Does it has a flying option?

Can it just be a metal framework? Will it be mechanical or could it be more organic? aka can it be a proxy. Like a lot of the suggestions here: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9377 - and not all are based on a metal framework :smiley:

Borador:

Not my cup of tea.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Pyro Stick:

Im going to miss this one out. I dont find it fun building scratch built models.

G.2:

My initial reaction was, whoohooo another Golden Hat, how exciting, and then I read the details and my reaction changed to “this seems hard”, and after a few minutes of absorbing it, I was actually excited about the possibilities of what could be built/modified and painted. I am really looking forward to this one.

BTW, I have no idea what I am going to do yet. I will need to research it a little further.

Nicodemus:

Yes, this may well be a difficult GH in some regards, although the lack of a defined look may be freeing some some entrants as well. One thing I wasn’t crazy about with the K’daai artwork in the book is that it looks too much like a Great Taurus with cracked molten skin and not much like a firey daemon. Not to mention their fluff says that they’re armoured and there’s no hint of that in the concept art.

If you’re finding it really hard to get started with a concept you can check these out for some inspiration:

K’daai models

Dwarf Steam Golem

Daemoneater, Golem and Kollossus Gallery

Daemon-powered Golem

Inferno Golems ideas

I agree that timing this time of year may be difficult. It is what it is. At a minimum entrants have 6 weeks to create a single model on a 40 or 50mm base in order to enter the contest. Another factor in regards to the 1-3 models was that some folks may have difficulty settling on a design or a particular look within that 6 weeks. With the minimum entry at 1 K’daai hopefully nobody is going to feel like they’ve locked thsemves and their army in with a set look for their K’daai by creating too many models for the GH… although those entrants who are comfortable with their design can create more than 1 to show off some variation.

I’ll check on the exact wording of the K’daai Fireborn entry - they count as having Hand weapons, but I believe they are claws as opposed to swords or anything like that. There aren’t any other weapon options or upgrades and there’s no flying option. In regards to it being organic or more mechanical, I think those could work, provided it still looks like a K’daai - which is a fire daemon bound and enslaved to fight for the Chaos Dwarfs. Their fluff says that they’re bound within iron and brass which is emblazoned with runes, so as long as it looks something like that. I don’t want to exclude something that has a more mechanical look or more organic bits, I just suggest keeping the theme in mind as it needs to reasonibly represent a K’daai.

I’ll post the clarification for the exact wording of their weapon shortly unless someone beats me to the punch.

~N

Update Their weapon is listed specifically as Spite and hellfire which just counts as a hand weapon. They also have the blazing body special rule which means they radiate immense heat and are effectively on fire… so I guess if there’s any organic stuff it would need to look like it works with that rules - i.e. daemonic flesh, etc.

Grimstonefire:

The K’daai destroyer is on the same page, so the 4 legged bull artwork could be for that.

I’m almost certainly not going to be in this, what with me being out of the country for nearly a month from saturday.  Shame really as I’ve been looking forwards to an ogre type creature one for years.

On the plus side I’m sure I’ll be inspired by you guys to come up with something early next year.

Borador:

It’s not the scratch building that bothers me, it’s the LoA unit theme, just doesn’t fit in with my army IMO but hey, who knows, might just get an idea :wink: I am brainstorming right now, so might still enter if I get a good idea.

Anyway, it’s good to see GH back on tracks and I’m looking forward to what people will come up with.

Grimstonefire:

As I’m pretty certain I won’t be entering I thought I’d share my idea.  Perhaps it will inspire someone else.

Basically using the Tyranid warriors with the arms ending in hands as the only arms.  Doing something with the heads and using the large claws as horns.

Slap some armour bits on here and there and with a suitably dark paint scheme they’d look quite good imo. Also very cheap on ebay it seems…

cornixt:

I wonder if something as simple as a Minotaur paintjob or mild conversion would work good

Admiral:

Good theme for GH XVI. With Christmas approaching I don’t expect to be able to participate, but I’ll try if I can find a suitable idea and materials.

Nicodemus:

I wonder if something as simple as a Minotaur paintjob or mild conversion would work good

cornixt
Yes, I think even this level of conversion would be good enough to do them some justice!!

For those of you who don't have the Tamurkhan book, here's the scoop on the K'daai in case you're wondering how to go about representing them (although this summary is not a list of requirements, just some info on the units as presented in the book, you should still feel free to let your artistic/creative license run wild!!):

K'daai Fireborn are Monstrous Infantry
They have the following special rules:
Unstable
Unbreakable
Fear
Flaming Attacks

Blazing Body (they do an automatic flaming attack on any model in base contact with them except other K'daai)
Bound Fire Daemon (they're effectively Daemons bound within a metal framework and are therefore counted as Daemons for the purposes of spells and relevant effects)
Burning Bright (they burn so hot that they can burn themselves out from the 2nd game turn onward)

The only option is to upgrade one Fireborn to a Manburner (+1 Attack).

They don't have any other special rules or options other than what's listed here.

Hope this helps those who don't own the book but want to enter the competition!!  Can't wait to see what people come up with for their entries as it's going to be pretty open in terms of their overall look and presentation!
~N

RTMaitreya:

I think I am in.

I’ve had an idea since very early on, and never had the impetus to finish it. It will fit PERFECTLY within the rest of my army. It will be a secret; you’ll have to wait.

RTM

ryanamandaanna:

Definitely in. I’ve been tinkering… :smiley:

furrie:

I will need to read the story behind the k’daai to come up with ideas for the looks and find some time between playing games

vulcanologist:

Hmmm… Not my cup of tea this one. Just don’t know enough about them or see how they could fit in with my army. (I use thommy’s list not interested in LoA) still… Don’t want to miss a Golden Hat so who knows… Maybe a unit filler could be on the cards!

furrie:

Hmmm... Not my cup of tea this one. Just don't know enough about them or see how they could fit in with my army. (I use thommy's list not interested in LoA) still... Don't want to miss a Golden Hat so who knows... Maybe a unit filler could be on the cards!

vulcanologist
is there no golem in the tommy list