[Archive] Golden Hat random thoughts

Ogrob:

But again, I understand your point and it makes sense. That's why green images shall not be banned.
But just think about this: if a sculptor feels necessary to show his massive work on modelling what prevents me to show, as an "official" GH picture, a WIP picture of my miniature showing the progress of zillion (I do ;) ) of thin layers, one over the other, I like to paint to reach a smooth color transition? What's the dfference in you posting the greens? Do you want to see a contest like that?

I would prefer to see the complete pictures because I think it's the final result what is important.

Bassman
I feel this is an interesting point. Spontaneously, I feel there is a difference between painting wip, and a completed conversion. I would like to think that there's two steps that we go through. First, conversion, and then painting.
Therefore, I can say that it's motivated to post a picture of the first step finished, in order to appreciate the work, and then post several pictures of the second stage finished, in order to appreciate the entire entry.

Excellent blending should be apparent in the finished photo, in a way that excellent converting not always is. I imagine yourself, and myself as well, are rather familiar with most CD minis and manufacturers, and able to identify conversions even while painted, but I have had questions regarding the fabrication of minis on I posted on my blog, some even mistaken 'bare' shots with Grey Stuff to be bought plastic miniatures.

In conclusion however, I make an exception for WIP shots of 'finished' greens, because I see converting as a separate part of the creation of the finished product. But also, I feel that the limitation of entries beyond the simple initial theme is contraproductive, simply because I would rather encourage creativity.

clam:

Why do we have to over think this so much? Why does it have to be analysed to death? It's not rocket science, people and - you know what? - it doesn't matter anyway. It's a toy making contest on an internet website. Yes, it's an accolade anyone should be proud of winning and it's fun for the community, but it isn't worth picking apart and studying like this.

Thommy H
hmm - yeah - why?? Think it's called passion. Like someone who would spam the site with arguments about Scibor's sculpting skills :D

Baggronor:

Personally, I would take it as a compliment if people didn’t notice I had converted something :slight_smile:

Overall, I’d say just vote for the one that you think is best at the final showing. You could spend all year sculpting a figure and still be outdone at the last minute. A sculpted figure isn’t always better than a stock one and a technically amazing paint job isn’t the same thing as a paint job that captures the essence of a figure (Andy Chambers’ Skaven were a good case in point - average technique but the army looked awesome). That’s how these things go.

I think GH is fine as it is.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Bassman: We weren’t taking it as “You should change the rules right now”, so don’t worry about that. We are taking it as intended: a discussion of possibilities of what people prefer.

I agree that a finished conversion/sculpt is different to a PiP shot. In that vein, I wouldn’t be fussed to see a WiP shot OF the sculpting (inside the GH, outside of it, sure go ahead! Love to see them :stuck_out_tongue: ), so in that case, think of the unpainted picture as a “Conversion complete” picture, that shows the conversion int he simplest light and the painted ones as “Painting complete” to show the overall effect and painting in the best light.

On the same note: people would be forced to judge for themselves what is worth showing in an unpainted state. For example, would a standard plastic Chaos Dwarf Axeman, with no changes get any extra recognition for efforts in production be considered better than a fully sculpted original Greater Daemon of Hashut? I seriously doubt it, as would most other people (regardless of if they expected such a monstrous undertaking to occur, bu you never can be sure around here, lol :smiley: ), in which case they would simply submit fully painted pictures.

Ronshank:

I do agree that better photos would be nice but thats not exactly plusable given that not everyone has an awesome camera and alot of people have to make do, or like me can’t find camera cables so instead have to rely on sub-standard camera phones etc. Either way you will vote for what you want to vote for anyway nicer pictures would not nessicarily mean that badly shot photos would nomally win.

Maybe put a link on the Golden hat entry post linking it to the how to take a good photo thread? If people use the tips the photos would be better even in the less detailed photos which could be a compromise. But it would exculde people if ‘good photos’ were mandatory, which to me is not good.

I still think it’s not broken. I think it works prefectly for the site and this specific army.

Bassman:

Nice and interesting discussion, exactly was I was looking for :smiley:

About wips you almost convinced me, even tought I still think it’s better to not post them and I’ll probably will never do it.

About pictures… I do not like to have a different thread for pictures, I like to have the same format for every entry. Maybe ask for a little bit larger pictures in Golden Hat entries thread? :cheers

Regards,

Bassman

tjub:

Btw, when will we get the new GH? :slight_smile:

clam:

Deadline could easily be something like 27th June - and with the usual 6 week heads up - I would say ‘very, very soon’.