[Archive] Golden HAT VI - Didn't make the cut!

Viskar Zhragoth:

Ok gang. Since voting for the Golden Hat is over, I thought I’d show everyone the other model I did for the competition that I did not enter. I thought that in the rules you could have 2 gaolers, so my warband should have that many just in case :hashut!

I am still pretty new here, and these were the first one I had converted to be masks. Saying something, since it has been a few months and I am still inspired by everybody on this site!

I am getting done with my chaos dwarf models (old bighats) and hope to post them soon. But now I want to convert up a whole army of these blokes. I’d like some constructive criticism (especially from the awesomeness that is grimstonfire, iskur, hashut, xander, vexxus, etc.). Please keep in mind I did these guys really quickly since I stalled for 4 weeks, then started gluing stuff together and then got rained on and lost power. In all I did both models in about 3 days of work (nights for me- have a day job!) while I watched two little boys! I also have never used much greenstuff before, so this was something new and you guys helped me on that score. Vexxus- you were right, lip balm works great! And Kera, here you go, told you I’d post them!

This is a virtual tour of them. I work in real estate, so this is easiest for me.  Any and all comments welcome, considered. I really want some help before I start converting all of my army!

Go here:

http://tours.justsnooping.com/2428222/

al-hashut:

Looking good, good luck in the contest VZ

Vexxus:

These are both very nice models, it must have been hard to choose which to enter! I love the ‘red hot poker’ idea, very convincing torture tool, ouch!

Sounds great that you are motivated and inspired by the site, and I can definitely relate, I think that not only is the freedom and creativity of this army appealing, but also the great community we have here to support us!

I am looking forward to seeing more and more of your work in the future, and sharing mine with you as well (I am honoured that you grouped me with those names above).

Do you have any plans to complete the remainder of the Mordheim Warband then? Or did you meant hat you have already?

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

Viskar Zhragoth:

These are both very nice models, it must have been hard to choose which to enter! I love the 'red hot poker' idea, very convincing torture tool, ouch!

Sounds great that you are motivated and inspired by the site, and I can definitely relate, I think that not only is the freedom and creativity of this army appealing, but also the great community we have here to support us!

I am looking forward to seeing more and more of your work in the future, and sharing mine with you as well (I am honoured that you grouped me with those names above).

Do you have any plans to complete the remainder of the Mordheim Warband then? Or did you meant hat you have already?

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

Vexxus
Working on the rest of the warband. Just got my parts for my prison wagon!

Vexxus:

Excellent Viskar!

How many members are you thinking to start off with?

Viskar Zhragoth:

Well, 1 Sorcerer, 1 BC, 2 Gaolers, 5 CDs, and probably 5 informers (for different mixes.), a hobgoblin scout and a prison wagon. That is what I’ll build at first. And then I’ll have to figure out the best warband mix. Not sure you can really afford too much, and the Prison Wagon is epensive, so it may be a later buy. Once we can get into this, we’ll have to find out what is the best setup/cost ratio.

Grimstonefire:

Looking very nice. The beard has some movement to it, which always helps. Personally I would have stood the mancatcher on the base, as to wield it one handed at that angle would require immense strength.

He is the billion dollar dwarf (the popup), so perhaps he has a bionic arm :wink:

The flaming brand is a good idea, but IMO it would look better with a brighter flame.

The base needs doing of course, I would bear in mind this is a character model and do something a little special.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Thanks for the mention as well as the pictures! I notice you liked my idea of the red hot poker then? (I mentioned it in one of the Gaoler threads before the topic of the GH was decided upon.)

As for consturctive criticism: I’m not sure if it’s the picture quality, but it seems that the paint is a little blotchy, meaning it’s separating and drying up. Add ONE drop of water to the pot, shake as vigourously as you possibly can for a few minutes (yes, minutes) with full arm shakes, then stir it a little for good measure. As for the poker, it needs to build up to a slightly brighter colour as well as building up from black. It may be an idea to blend through to silver, then (leaving a slither of silver), blend to red, repeat with yellow and white at the VERy tip of it. With the second model, perhaps change the helmet into a mask, by painting the red bits in flesh or by adding some hair etc. The second suggestion I have, would be to change the colour of the details on those coins/medals. A slightly different gold/bronze/silver inked would look better or just one colour, e.g. gold, inked with brown ink.

Hope that helps!

Viskar Zhragoth:

Thanks guys for the replies. Most of the issues seem to be painting then? Not bad considered I painted both of them in one evening. I am working on some other stuff, but I plan on finishing them off with more details and doing the bases over. I noticed in the pics the paint looks a lot drier and splotchy then it did when I painted it. More time and blending, and I’ll get more water in there too!

Is the green stuff work ok? It is my first major gs experience. I learned a lot doing the one, and I got some help on the forum. I think the skull mask looks better when painted, but I do like my hat guy! And yeah, the mancatchers on both figs were left till the last day I could work on them. they aren’t nearly done enough, and I am going to redo them. Especially after seeing some of the mancatchers on GHVI!

Thanks again for the replies, and thanks again to the whole forum, it has been so fun here, and I can’t wait to get more time to do more (now I’m in the process of moving.) Does anyone else know how much work it is to move 120 boxes of books, and $1000s and $1000s of dollars of GW stuff? :wink: