[Archive] Golden Hat XXVI

Fuggit Khan:

I think I know what I'm doing, and it's going to involve me creating my first Tall Hat, so fingers crossed that Fuggit's tutorial works for me.

Slavemaster Hod
Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing what you create, the most important part of any of my creations is the fact that I cuss during the process.
"#@*ing green stuff! I hate this #@*ing glue! Stupid paint!" etc.
Have fun with making your first Tall Hat, I'm sure it will turn out lovely :hat off

Slavemaster Hod:

I think I know what I'm doing, and it's going to involve me creating my first Tall Hat, so fingers crossed that Fuggit's tutorial works for me.

Slavemaster Hod
Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing what you create, the most important part of any of my creations is the fact that I cuss during the process.
"#@*ing green stuff! I hate this #@*ing glue! Stupid paint!" etc.
Have fun with making your first Tall Hat, I'm sure it will turn out lovely :hat off

Fuggit Khan
Thanks. I actually am going to go back over your tutorial. I remember it being amazing... now I just have to remember what page it was on. Your blog, like possibly other parts of you, could be described as long but entertaining. (Admin, feel free to delete that last sentence :hat off)

Carcearion:

I’m really exited for this golden hat, mounted characters are amongst the moss impressive figures in the hobby I feel like we are going to see some great stuff.

Admiral:

@Slavemaster Hod: Well, Fuggit has got one hell of a Hobgoblin nose… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers, everyone. The more entering, the merrier.

Slavemaster Hod:

@Slavemaster Hod: Well, Fuggit has got one hell of a Hobgoblin nose... ;P

Admiral
That's exactly what I was talking about ;)

Bassman:

Ehm, I have an unit of black orcs left half-painted for ages now. In the middle of the unit I have a black orc character mounted on a boar as champion/standard bearer… what about using him as a GH contestant?
A black orc riding a boar can enter in this contest? :idea:o;P:~:D

Admiral:

Very good question, Bassman! Yes, it will work since Black Orcs are a classic slave unit for CDs. We’re not strict about any kind of army list entries here, for reasons of creativity. Nothing to gain from imposing unnecessary limits within the broad theme boundaries. People always find inventive and interesting takes on a theme, and this should not be discouraged. In the past we’ve experimented with a little strictness in areas in case it would be appropriate/further the contest/make for fairness, but experience shows that such efforts are usually misguided given the wonderfully wild creativity on show here.

However, be advised that voters are prone to award thematically appropriate entries, beyond sheer painting quality. As such, a Black Orc Boar Boss might gain some renown for its superb paintjob, but lose a lot of votes because it could just as well have shown up in a standard Orcs & Goblin army. And some voters might think out of hand that a lowly Orc slave warrior would not be allowed to sit on a mount in the style of upper-caste slave Hobgoblins or masterful Chaos Dwarf overlords (i.e. it’d look too proud and independent and free), but there’s nothing hindering it from entering. My advice is to tweak it in some ways to tie it in visually with your Chaos Dwarfs. Slave runes, ownership plates and Dawi Zharr markings are an obvious way to achieve this, another could e.g. be to add a a CD-style scalemail kilt, a stylistic chain beard dangling from the helmet’s jawpiece or signs of enslavement such as chains or brand marks where flesh is visible.

Just a tip. :hat off

Fuggit Khan:

@Slavemaster Hod: Well, Fuggit has got one hell of a Hobgoblin nose... ;P

Admiral
That's exactly what I was talking about ;)

Slavemaster Hod
Well, my blog name does mention "Big Noses" ;P

@ Bassman: I would love to see an entry of a classic Black Orc!

:hat off

Bassman:

Very good question, Bassman! Yes, it will work since Black Orcs are a classic slave unit for CDs. We're not strict about any kind of army list entries here, for reasons of creativity. Nothing to gain from imposing unnecessary limits within the broad theme boundaries. People always find inventive and interesting takes on a theme, and this should not be discouraged. In the past we've experimented with a little strictness in areas in case it would be appropriate/further the contest/make for fairness, but experience shows that such efforts are usually misguided given the wonderfully wild creativity on show here.

However, be advised that voters are prone to award thematically appropriate entries, beyond sheer painting quality. As such, a Black Orc Boar Boss might gain some renown for its superb paintjob, but lose a lot of votes because it could just as well have shown up in a standard Orcs & Goblin army. And some voters might think out of hand that a lowly Orc slave warrior would not be allowed to sit on a mount in the style of upper-caste slave Hobgoblins or masterful Chaos Dwarf overlords (i.e. it'd look too proud and independent and free), but there's nothing hindering it from entering. My advice is to tweak it in some ways to tie it in visually with your Chaos Dwarfs. Slave runes, ownership plates and Dawi Zharr markings are an obvious way to achieve this, another could e.g. be to add a a CD-style scalemail kilt, a stylistic chain beard dangling from the helmet's jawpiece or signs of enslavement such as chains or brand marks where flesh is visible.

Just a tip. :hat off

Admiral
Thanks Admiral. I am ruminating (Taurus style, of course :hashut) on what you said.
Actually in my army background black orcs are not slaves, just mercenary hired by my warlord. So no fancy beards or Chaos Dwarf symbols for them.

In the meanwhile I already started with plan B. Just in case. Let's see what will come out of this.

Bassman

Admiral:

Good background point. Background should not be breached. Also, there’s nothing stopping you from going for it without any of the odd modifications. It could win the hearts of voters, who knows? If plan B is dear to you, then it could be a good way, but at all times follow your heart so plan A boar boss should not be discarded out of hand. :slight_smile:

It’s best to keep the boundaries broad for contest themes, though I’ve now started to experiment with putting in such advice (also in a couple of PMs) whenever experience shows something might earn less votes for running further from the thematic core than other entries as is obvious from many voters’ reasons for top 3 picks in past contests. Just a friendly hint, though the practice wil get disused should it prove counter-productive, discouraging, intrusive or faulty.

At any rate, good luck!

Slavemaster Hod:

I’ve needed an excuse for awhile to go WAY overboard on one mini and this competition is giving me that chance. The pile of bits for it is now up to around fifty pieces. I don’t want to say too much (and break competition rules), but he has a very specific theme that seemed to fall in place while sloughing though the bits bins. It should at least be epic- I hope.

Edit: I’m also doing a WIP, that I will put up after the competition is over.

Will Liam:

Just finished the rider and halfway through painting the mount and base �?“I started this idea a few months ago so this comp has worked in well for me �?” You are either going to like this one or absolutely hate it �?" Lucky for me I�?Tm liking how its turning out at this point :slight_smile:

Darkmeer:

Sadly, I do not have any mounted characters for Chaos Dwarfs (yet). I want to get the old Taurus and the old Lammasu, but they are out of reach for the time being. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

Carcearion:

Same here I’ve got a long wait on my Lost Kingdom bale-taurus, but I’m sure we are going to see allot of great stuff.

Kamphre:

I finished yesterday the conversion part. Now, I must paint it and 4.5 weeks will not be too much ! :slight_smile:
I hope to see a lot of entries !

Slavemaster Hod:

Finished my tall hat. It turned out pretty good It’s really hard to get the greenstuff to be super smooth, so I might have to prime this guy and see what sort of texture the hat looks to be made of, then just go with that and paint his hat made out of whatever works (I have a feeling it’s going to look the most like wrapped fabric… but maybe flayed skin ;)).

Hope everyone else is doing well, looking forward to seeing what we got.

Bassman:

Slavemanster Hod and Fuggit Khan are in? Damn it, if Skink throw himself into the fray no chances of awards for me :expressionless:

But well, coming back to Golden Hat after so long time it’s a chance not to be missed :smiley:

Abecedar:

Yeh, I know the feeling. I’ll settle for getting just one vote.

Admiral:

Thread updated. Enjoysrandom has donated his gold prize from last contest (courtesy of Zanko) to this one instead. Because of puritan hat leanings! :smiley:

Kamphre:

Great move Enjoysrandom !

Thank you very much !