[Archive] Great Axes & Shields?

CheTralfara:

Since Chaos Dwarfs come with a Hand Weapon & Shield… and you can upgrade the hand weapon to a Great Weapon… I always assumed this meant you can’t use the sheild anymore and thus forfeit the shield… BUT i noticed in the rulebook for “requires to hands” it mentions that you can’t use it in Close Combat, and would sling it over your back…

Does this mean that CD Warriors with Great Axes still get to use their shields against ballistic weapons, before they are in H2H?

How would this apply to Blunderbusses as well?

.nick

Swissdictator:

Blunderbusses it says you swap them for the blunderbuss.

For the great weapons you have a “walking save” improved for shooting and magic (just like a regular warrior with shield)

In combat you can choose Great Weapon OR Hand Weapon and Shield. Though you have to stick to that until the unit disengages.

CheTralfara:

NICE! now i know to model the shields onto the backs of my Great Axe warriors!

I love that we get 3 armaments for warriors… makes up for our lack of troop types.

EDIT: What about an Orc Boy with 2 Choppas, can they use sheilds against ballistics like a great axer can? (assuming they can even take sheilds)

Please avoid double-posting. There’s an edit button in the bottom right of your posts for the need to add extra to your musings. Thank you ~ Hashut’s Blessing

Swissdictator:

I don’t have the Orc book in front of me. If they have the option to take both shields and extra hand weapon, then yes they can use the “Walking Save” as well. You just need to clarify which option you’re using in combat, same for Halberds.

Ubertechie:

basically you have 2 saves

One is in combat and at the beginning of each new combat you can choose what you will fight with eg great weapons or hand weapon and shield

The other is your missile save where you use the best possible save you have so in this case heavy armour and shield for a 4+ save

As far as I am aware (and I own all of the army books) this is the same for all armies

Hope that clears it up

Cheers

Ubertechie

Time of Madness:

Unfortunately the great weapons are not worth the 2pts though. You’d be much better off spending the points on more hobgoblins.

Time of Madness

Willmark:

Partially discussed here as well: https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/9568

dedwrekka:

One is in combat and at the beginning of each new combat you can choose what you will fight with eg great weapons or hand weapon and shield
The other is your missile save where you use the best possible save you have so in this case heavy armour and shield for a 4+ save
As far as I am aware (and I own all of the army books) this is the same for all armies
Hope that clears it up
Cheers
Ubertechie

Ubertechie
Except for Black Orcs, possibly. Their special rule is vague but seems to allow you to switch each combat round.

snowblizz:

Hope that clears it up
Cheers
Ubertechie

Ubertechie
Except for Black Orcs, possibly. Their special rule is vague but seems to allow you to switch each combat round.

dedwrekka
It does not!

It just says they got a lot of weapons that's all.

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

Black orcs rules are that they get to choose 2HW, HW&SH or GW in each combat but that does not mean tahey can’t swap every round although that is in the O&G book I don’t know if it’s different

And what everyone eles said about GW and Sh is correct :slight_smile:

Hashut’s Blessing:

Upgrading to a great weapon doesn;t remove the shield. As with any other unit, you choose what weapons to use in combat, but must stick with them for the whole combat: great weapon/hand weapon (it’s an option, and only one people take if they want the unit to die, hahaha)/hand weapon and shield.

Buying the blunderbuss upgrade replaces the shield, however, meaning you only ever have a 5+ AS.

With Black Orcs, they carry all mannaer of weapons, but may only use one combination per combat, as stated in my first paragraph. In my opinion, the “Armed to da Teef” rule is unnecessary as it;s just saying they have lots of equipment which is already listed.

As for the Orc Boyz with two choppas and shields, it;s exactly the same principle as the CD warriors with great weapons.

Hope that’s helped :wink:

Swissdictator:

Though, with the rules on Choppa in the new Orc book… you still get the S boost even if you use shield… and get Hw/Sh bonus for single choppa.

Hashut’s Blessing:

The Choppa will always give you +1S in the first round of combat. regardless of what wapon choices your using. Note: Great Weapons are not Choppas, so till give just +2S.