[Archive] GRNDL's Chaos Dwarfs (updated - Sep 26 2010)

GRNDL:

If there is anything I can do to make your stay more comfortable, just let me know. :P

Xander
I appreciate the welcoming hand Xander, but I don't think you need to do anything. The site has a great community and lots of incentive to participate. The only thing that I'd like to know is how to put upload in-line pics. I've been using the attachments thing, which is fine, but I'm kinda jealous of all the nice glossies in other threads. :)
Very good greenstuff work here. Can't wait to see the first few painted models! Any idea of the colour scheme yet you want to use?

Ishkur Cinderhat
Colour theory and indecision are the bane of my life. After posting the other thread with my test models and getting lots of good advice, I found myself even more indecisive. I painted a few more tests and while I liked some of the results I really felt that I should go back to the basics to preserve a CD feel. So, its fiery reds/oranges and dark red leather. I feel pretty good about it and at least there's progress in the army. I figured if I dillied and dallied longer then I would lose momentum in doing it. I can experiment later with other units.

So, it came down to red/orange beards (some said too slayer like, but I think it fits them), dark red leather armour tinged with red/orange highlights, lots of dark brass.

I'll post some pics when I get a rank of them done. I'm working from the back forward, so the first rank posted will actually be the second rank in the unit.

minty:

Very, Very nice. should be very good when you have a full regiment of evil stuntys:cheers

oh, and how to upload pics:

put in the url of the pic (right click and go on properties) or the info beneth the pic on photobucket and paste it surrounded by the tabs

Ingrown:

Its probably easiest to put your pics on photobucket then just copy the code it gives you. Modeling looks great btw

Xander:

The easiest way to post pics in a thread is obviously . To find the link to an image that is an attachment, you can view the picture and copy the url. Or right click the link to the picture and chose “Copy Link Location” for Firefox. Not sure if you can do that in IE, but you can select the image properties after right clicking, you can view the url, usually.

Ghrask Dragh:

Actually the easiest way to post pics is… only joking!

I can’t beleive I haven’t posted on this thread, I thought I did! The Green stuff Big hat looks great, I like the inclusion of hats AND helms!

Looks great so far mate, keep ‘em comin’!!

Xander:

The more I look at your Sorcerer, the more I sort of want to attempt that conversion as well, though I don’t own that dwarf model. :confused:

GRNDL:

@Xander

I’m glad that my effort has inspired you! But remember I didn’t do the original conversion, I just tried to mimic GeOrcs. He deserves the accolade in inspiring you.

I’m almost done the conversion work. He now has some bull like horns on his shoulders, but not quite like GeOrcs. They are sharper/pointier, higher and from the front look like they are growing out of his head. I trying to deviate from GeOrc’s conversion with the back piece - I’m not going to do the chain, but instead hang trophies from the horns. I’ve been spending time doing a better and more original base than I had originally tried - this will be base #3 for this guy.

If all goes well, he should be done soon.

GRNDL:

My army has only progressed slightly in the last week or two. I had been focussing on the CD hero conversion discussed above and trying to cobble together a Golden Hat entry. In addition, Warplock Monkey had inspired me to go back to the Aquatic Lizardman project, which, when combined with the release of the VC army book, transmogrified into an attempt at making a zombie saurus.

However, I managed to get one rank of CD warriors finished. I suppose there is still some work to be done on them - the colours tended to change from model to model, so I might still go back and touch up the horns and boots a bit more to make them more uniform, perhaps the bases as well. I’m steadily evolving a method of doing lava, but its not quite there yet.

As you can see, I’ve put off the experimental colour scheme. I will continute to experiment with the colours, but for this first core unit, I felt like I needed results and soon for my enthusiasm to continue. I’m pretty happy with them, at least, from a thematic point of view, if not a painting one.

My good and unholy quest continues…

Xander:

Wow, looks excellent so far!

And yes, I know you didn’t make it originally. :stuck_out_tongue: The original is in the Golden Demon section of the gallery. :wink:

GRNDL:

This last weekend I finally managed to get the bulk of the painting done on the rest of the unit. Its only 10 strong as I want to get more units done more quickly so I have a playable army sooner.

Unit as a whole:

Close up pics of the command group:

I’m still trying different painting schemes for the lava bases. I tried twice before throwing in the towel and picking the one above but I’m not really happy with it. It doesn’t look “hot”.

I’ve spent more time converting this unit than any other in my collection and I wasn’t in a hurry to finish it. I’m glad I’ve gotten this far with it and I’m pretty excited about what’s up next: a blunderbuss unit. It will most likely have some converted ogres in it as filler as I’ve been itching to use an Ogre in SOMETHING. :slight_smile:

Ghrask Dragh:

These are some very nice Chaos Dwarfs :hat off

I like the colours, the red on the shields is very well done in particular, I’m not too sure about the blue though - draws too mach attention for me.

Command group look great, Well Done GRNDL!!

:cheers

Lord Archaon:

Wow, good stuff. I like how did you do your banner.

The only advice i could give you - don’t paint your bases with red, because your models are to bright and if you wouldn’t paint the bases they’ll look better.

Thanks!

Lord_Archaon

:hat off

AGPO:

Only advice I can give on lava bases is to blend up almost to white and that a black base edge really does wonders. Also, have a go at some underlighting on a test model. It really loks awesome (check Ishkur’s work)

Kera foehunter:

I like the colors!!cool lava bases tooo!!!

Willmark:

Woah! How did I miss these guys? Abolutely awesome! Have a slave to help you out!

WarplockMonkey:

LIZARDMEN! LIZARDMEN! LIZARDMEN!

ahem

Back to the CD, they are vVERY good, i especially like your standard bearer…its so much better then mine in so many ways…:frowning:

clam:

Very, very nice. Great colours and very cool bases

Khan!:

These guys turned out very well, horray for CDs with red beards! I second AGPO’s comments regarding the lava: try blending up to a wee bit of white, and painting the sides of the bases black.

GRNDL:

First off, thanks for everyone’s input. It has been very encouraging and I’m itching to get stuck into my second unit of these guys.

I’m not too sure about the blue though - draws too mach attention for me.

Ghrask Dragh
I tend to agree, but I kinda like it. :slight_smile: I usually try to make any piece of art as harmonious as possible so this was a weird choice for me. However, I was running out of colour ideas and I wanted to break away from the usual “leather” colours. I felt that using a higher contrast colour might help move the eyes around the unit more. I really don’t know where I stand on its use after looking at the whole thing.
Also, have a go at some underlighting on a test model. It really loks awesome (check Ishkur’s work)

AGPO
Its hard to tell from the pictures, but that is one of the things I’ve tried. I painted the lower reaches of the cork rock in a dull red base, then dry brushed upwards from the lava in successive tints of orange. Depending on where you look it is more effective than others. From the angle of these pics and the cork rocks themselves its not very apparent, I’ll agree.

I’ll be having another go at this technique with my hero, who has a more elaborate and hopefully easier base to pull it off on. Its higher and has decorations on it, rather than a thin sliver of cork rock.
LIZARDMEN! LIZARDMEN! LIZARDMEN!

ahem

WarplockMonkey
Feels the pull toward the Light Side… I have not forsaken the Lizardmen. I am just trying to balance things. I’ve been working on a unit of pygmies, inspired by Wallacer’s lizardman army. Also, the aquatics and zombie Lizards have been experimented on further. I am in the process of trying to figure out an aquatic lizardman shield mod (skink shield to horseshoe crab) and colour schemes for both the prototypes.
These guys turned out very well, horray for CDs with red beards! I second AGPO’s comments regarding the lava: try blending up to a wee bit of white, and painting the sides of the bases black.

Khan!
Both of you guys are on the money. Painting the sides black would definitely help. My rationale for painting them red was that these models would be placed into a thematically painted movement tray, so you wouldn’t normally see the red bases without a “frame”. I was thinking that the dull red would look like a reflection of warm light from within the tray. I will paint one black and see where that gets me. I can always paint it back.

DARKTROOPER:

Those are some really sick looking dwarfs…At first the scheme seemed to clash to much for me but after looking at it for awhile I think it comes together quite nicely!