[Archive] Grrrr.... need new lap top

Swissdictator:

I think that’s the same machine my friend here has… “Emperor Cheney” for those of you on www.ritesofwar.org

It’s nice little machine. I just don’t have $300 or so to drop right now…

Unless someone wants to buy one of my armies.

BilboBaggins:

The acer netbook goes from $299 to $349 US when I last looked. The ASUS with 4GB flash drive and 1GB ram I’ve seen under $200 recently.

Swissdictator:

VICTORY IS MINE!

Now I might have to call Microsoft as the activation is being a pain… but, I can use the machine pretty much for nearly the rest of the semester…

Willmark:

Now if I could only get Mac OS for my PC :D

BilboBaggins
This will very quickly turn into a Mac vs. PC with Linux users back-stabbing all in question thread, methinks... but it is in the Off-Topic section, so that's probably ok.. :P

Astranagant
There will be no flame wars, at least not on my watch... :)

BilboBaggins:

I’m not flaming, I was making a comment that the Mac OS works with Intel processors so why didn’t make it to replace Windows on PC’s. The reason the Apple guys give is it’s they can’t control the hardware on all the PC’s. But the conspiracy theorist in me thinks it be due to the fact that Mr. Bill Gates purchased 45% of Apple at the time Steve Jobs returned to keep them viable so the government wouldn’t call for microsoft to be split into pieces.

I’ve heard that some people have installed Mac OS onto netbooks and with a little work got them to work.

I like the look of Mac OS, but for the same specs on a computer I’ll pay half to a third the price for the PC. I just haven’t had the time (and possibly too lazy) to install it on a machine. I may be getting my father’s old laptop to repair (USB port is intermittent) since he has a replacement. So maybe If I can fix it cheap I’ll put Linux on it. I do like the Penguin logo.

Kera foehunter:

ok willmark watch is over !! flame on!!!

i have a 5 year old dell !! it like a old tank moves slow and wieghs a ton!!

that all my computer help swiss

Swissdictator:

[size=xx-large]VICTORY[/size]

After a grueling EPIC phone call to tech support I got Windows activated! It was a two hour long ordeal complete with horrible Muzak and being bounced between three people!

After the long epic clash of “what number do you have?” I emerged triumphant!

Also… it helps when you’re calm and polite to the tech people. :slight_smile:

Willmark:

I'm not flaming, I was making a comment that the Mac OS works with Intel processors so why didn't make it to replace Windows on PC's. The reason the Apple guys give is it's they can't control the hardware on all the PC's. But the conspiracy theorist in me thinks it be due to the fact that Mr. Bill Gates purchased 45% of Apple at the time Steve Jobs returned to keep them viable so the government wouldn't call for microsoft to be split into pieces.

I've heard that some people have installed Mac OS onto netbooks and with a little work got them to work.

I like the look of Mac OS, but for the same specs on a computer I'll pay half to a third the price for the PC. I just haven't had the time (and possibly too lazy) to install it on a machine. I may be getting my father's old laptop to repair (USB port is intermittent) since he has a replacement. So maybe If I can fix it cheap I'll put Linux on it. I do like the Penguin logo.

BilboBaggins
Not saying you were.

Lastly Microsoft invested 150 million in a company that was worth 7 billion at the time... hardly 45%...

BilboBaggins:

Lastly Microsoft invested 150 million in a company that was worth 7 billion at the time... hardly 45%...

Willmark
At the time Apple was reportedly near bankruptcy and I read (but it could have been the reporters getting it wrong as usual) that is was Gates investing not just Microsoft giving them a loan/grant/infusion of cash. I don't see MS listed in the current investors. It could have been something silly like he could get control of 45% if conditions warranted but misquoted by the press.

Willmark:

Microsoft invested 150 million in non voting stock which they could not sell for 5 years which they did in 2002, just before the iPod took off… oops.

Rumor has it that it was a out of court settlement for Quicktime code that “somehow” made its way into Windows Media player o_O

Apple was in rough shape but not bankrupt.

Willmark:

Anyways at the request of Swiss and the fact that this has veered waaaay OT , by me no less…