[Archive] GW kills (conflict) Canada

LLV:

Yes folks its true - GW have just given the proverbial fingure to all Canadians…

http://ca.games-workshop.com/community/Conflicts/Conflict_Ann.htm

Very nice way of saying - 'we dont give a fV#K about canadians so were not doing official events anymore…'

thanks GW

:hashut

AGPO:

We in the UK feel sympathy. GW tournaments now seem all to be focused in either London or Nottingham these days, there are fewer and fewer regional conflicts going. Still, we have it good compared to you :(. GW is screwing over their loyal customers for the extra dollar, and I’m pleased to say its not working for them at all. Honestly, before I came back to the hobby, I was fairly moderate about the way GW treats long term customers, but over the last 3 months, I’ve been shocked and appalled:mad My sympathy once more for GWs shocking treatment of its Canadian customers

hal:

They got rid of the Conflicts in Ireland also and the Northern Wasters’ tournament ‘Bloodstorm’. In March we had our first GT which is supposed to become an annual thing but it’s damn expensive and they host it in the most ridiculous out-of-reach places.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I apologise for all of those that have such problems. If it helps, I can’t afford the tournaments in Nottingham, let alone getting there and satying there… (Plus, I tried to get tickets, but they weren’t selling them, then, when they were, they’d sold out before I could get one. Bstrds)

Sobek:

I can sympathise; the only Hobby Centers are 400+ miles in either direction (1 in Phoenix and two in Texas) and any big events (like GT’s and such) I would have to go all the way to LA for, at the closest.

I sympathise.

Khaosbeardling:

I’ve never been to one. . . I haven’t been properly “blooded” yet at real Warhammer event, but at least I’ll have the opportunity. I’m sorry. You can have my store of ale for the year.:cheers

Uzkul Werit:

Wow. Bummer.

The best tournies are always run by small clubs. Like my first ever one was in GW Newport ran by a few of the locals. It was a complete blast to play in. GW sanctioned ones on the other hand … well, there’s one this Saturday that allows you to take a Wizard Lord in 1500pts. Need I say more?

Khan!:

I dunno, I’ve never been to a Conflict really so I’m not too heartbroken. I expect that GW would be canceling because they aren’t making enough money from them. It’s unfortunate, but there does seem to be a pretty decent Rogue Trader tournament scene here in Canada.

hobblin:

Well I’m glad I’ve never gane to one or ever will.(sreads a tear)

The Flying Beaver:

Damnit! Halifax got it’s first conflict last November and it was loads of fun (I was able to take enough from the Mad Grox Racing to pay for my ticket and more :)). They said it was a success and they’d be back, but apparently not. Tis a shame, I was looking forward to it.

dabiggrotsboss:

Guys, GW have instead said they will support locally grown events. It is up to us, the gamers, to create events that are important locally and regionally. GW is NOT killing gaming. The sky is NOT falling.

I spoke with Cory Burns today, and he was emphatic when he said this will be a good thing. The Conflicts had become a little bit stale. They needed a massive overhaul anyway.

GW will continue to support gaming, and trust me when I say that this can be a good thing.

Grant

Grey Knight Captain

dabigGROTSboss

LLV:

Guys, GW have instead said they will support locally grown events. It is up to us, the gamers, to create events that are important locally and regionally. GW is NOT killing gaming. The sky is NOT falling.

I spoke with Cory Burns today, and he was emphatic when he said this will be a good thing. The Conflicts had become a little bit stale. They needed a massive overhaul anyway.

GW will continue to support gaming, and trust me when I say that this can be a good thing.

Grant
Grey Knight Captain
dabigGROTSboss

dabiggrotsboss
Im sorry mate - but thats BS...

I take it your in the east right?

Conflicts were the GW's umbilical cord in the west - theyve just cut us off.

I see you're a grey knight - see how many GKs we have here in western canada - heck tell me how many are in calgary.

Now tell me how much 'support' we're getting

I sent Cory a few emails - guess what, no reply.

Typical of anyone at GW - if they dont like a question they stick their fingersin their ears and ignore it.

Sorry to wail on you mate - but its all well and dandy in the east - here in the west weve been cut off....

dabiggrotsboss:

Actually I am in Red Deer. I run the GROTS, and we have about 75 members, with 35-40 that are very active. One of the largest clubs in Canada, in a city with less than 100,000 people. Believe me, you can build an awesome community.

I run tons of events as a Grey Knight, certainly in the west I am very active. In the month of June in the lead up to Nemesis Crown, I have five events alone. Really, the program is what a GK makes of it.

Sure, we are a long ways away from Toronto. But anytime I want, I can pick up the phone and talk to them, or email them. Cory has been inundated with emails, some good, some bad, so believe me when I say he has been reading them.

If you want to email me off board, and we can talk about what events you might have in mind, I have some ideas, and that’s how we build a better community in the West.

Cheers,

Grant
proud Western Canadian Grey Knight.
(ps - I think there are three GKs in Calgary!).

hobblin:

G.R,O,T,S were is that located ottawa if it is I may want to join.

dabiggrotsboss:

G.R,O,T,S were is that located ottawa if it is I may want to join.

hobblin
Uh, Red Deer. Greater Red Deer Organization of Tactical Silliness.

That's in Alberta. Only two provinces away from Ottawa.

hal:

It’s good to see people get together and organise their own tournaments, a pair of friends of mine have been running an annual tournament called Battle Cry. It’s been quite successful with over 60 people attending the event every time, this will be it’s third year running (if it happens that is).

@hobblin: what’s that mad looking avatar, is it that triangle head guy from silent hill?

AGPO:

I must admit GW staffers do give alot of suport to local clubs, but its mainly in their own time, and in my 12 years of gaming I’ve yet to see any suppot from up on high…

hobblin:

Well at least there keeping games day

@hal I can’t remember were I got this file but if you like I can email it to you.

AGPO:

Gamesday tickets are hugely xpensive (at least here in the UK) way over a student budget. The same goes for the GT (infact that’s even worse as you need overnight accomodation). We poor students rely on local events to keep going, any fewer of these is a grievous loss.

West Bertozzi:

Really sucks but expect this season others to step up. I know good friend Chris Wojic will be running what is “primer” events. Same things as a conflict with WD coverage and Burns there helping, just run indipendantly. I know Ottawa, Toronto, London, Windsor all have BIG events in the future…Not to sure about out of Ontario but if there is anythign big I will be there. I came back into the hobby after years of a break to play all I could and be competitive again, my CD army has to see the table so don’t worry about it theres going to be lots in the future.

Cheers, West