[Archive] GW spray gun. Anyone got it?

Grimstonefire:

Just wondering if anyone has used this?

Compared to most hobby spray guns I’ve seen it is a fair price (for once).  You can get cheaper ones, but some of them you can’t take apart for cleaning.

I’d love to be able to get a proper airbrush one day, when I have more money…:~

Lost_Heretic:

Just wondering if anyone has used this?

Compared to most hobby spray guns I've seen it is a fair price (for once).  You can get cheaper ones, but some of them you can't take apart for cleaning.

I'd love to be able to get a proper airbrush one day, when I have more money...:~

Grimstonefire
Yep, I've got one and it works fine. I picked it up because I don't know anything about spray guns, but after trying it in the store it seemed to be decent quality. It's easily cleaned and can use any spray propellent.

Kera foehunter:

No but my dad has a airbrush and compressor

But he will not let me get near it!!!

GRNDL:

Having been a long time airbrush user, my money is on a double-action, internal mix for quality painting. Single action, external mix airbrushes like the GW spray gun may be functional, but they’re just that, a spray gun. Laying down single tones of colour and basic masking will be good, but doing any kind of finesse work will be tough. Also, expect lots of spattering and paint accumulation, coarse spray, etc.

dedwrekka:

Having been a long time airbrush user, my money is on a double-action, internal mix for quality painting. Single action, external mix airbrushes like the GW spray gun may be functional, but they're just that, a spray gun. Laying down single tones of colour and basic masking will be good, but doing any kind of finesse work will be tough. Also, expect lots of spattering and paint accumulation, coarse spray, etc.

GRNDL
Sounds like the kind of problems that can be fixed by adjusting the air and thinning the paint a bit more. But yeah, I wouldn't expect the GW spray gun to be very good for finesse work or the smaller details.

Grimstonefire:

Agreed.  A spray gun is not a proper airbrush imo, so it just needs to be basic.  I would like to get a proper airbrush one day, with relaceable/ adjustable tips for really fine work.

GRNDL:

Sounds like the kind of problems that can be fixed by adjusting the air and thinning the paint a bit more.

dedwrekka
You'll be doing that ANYWAY - that's part of using the damn things. You can put whatever paint you want through an airbrush/spray gun, so long as you thin it appropriately. And adjusting the air... Well, good luck if you're not using a compressor. If you're running air from a propellant can, or an air canister (some people use tires, etc), then you have an inconsistent air source - depending on the ambient temperature and even humidity the pressure it puts out will alter periodically, resulting in low pressure in the spray gun itself. Low pressure = less atomization of the paint in the air flow = splattering/sputtering.  A compressor goes a long way toward solving this. Having a regulator on the air source will too.

An external mix spray gun/airbrush doesn't mix the air flow with the paint, so paint tends to accumulate on the needle itself and gets atomized inconsistently, resulting in sputtering and unpredictable paint splatter that goes straight to the model/painting. Not good.  You can get single action, internal mix airbrushes pretty cheap, around $60.

All in all, I'm just saying you get what you pay for and GW make crappy tools. If you want an airbrush, invest in one, don't dally around with crap. You'll be happier in the long run, IMO.

Without a double action airbrush, regulating the air flow is tough to do, unless you have an expensive compressor. My compressor is relative cheap ($200 or so when I got it) but it only has two settings: on and off. You can control the pressure with a bleed valve but it takes a lot of patience, for little pay off.

cornixt:

How well do those car tire adapters work, for using the pressured air from the tire as a mostly constant source?

GRNDL:

Tires can be okay from what I’ve heard for trying it out, but you need a large volume to drive the airbrush and the trouble of refilling the tire is awkward. I remember hearing of someone using a tractor tire!! If you don’t want the sound of the compressor, then shoot for a compressed air tank, but then you’re getting toward the expensive end.

Best bang for your buck, IMO, is an oilless air compressor. Noisy, but unlimited air, consistent stream with a regulator and no real worries. I keep mine in an old wooden cupboard about a foot deep, 2 ft long, 8inches deep to muffle it.

slev:

Keep in mind, it was designed primarily for Citadel’s Washes line, or very thinned paint.

starscream:

I’m looking for an airbrush at the moment, I have no idea where to start, can someone point me in the right direction?

GRNDL:

I would check out Badger airbrushes for an entry level kit. If you want something more expensive, or for quality work, try Iwata.

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/

I personally recommend the Badger XF-150 kit if you want to do artwork with it as well as models. Its built for a wide range of applications and is very durable, easy to use/clean.

Kera foehunter:

i do not paint thing big enought to buy a air gun .

Grndl thanks for explaining

and thanks for the links