[Archive] Hammer Units

Beastybeastbeats:

Chaos Dwarfs have few hammers-

Big’Uns, Black Orc, BC

Does any field CD warriors with GW’s?

S5 1A= ?

I am not sure how I feel about them, I was wondering the general census.

Groznit Goregut:

I am planning on fielding them (when I get my army together). How much extra does it cost? It can be quite useful in some circumstances. It can work against high armor opponents.

Alan the evil:

Once a time I always putted GW in each unit of warrior.
Now I use GW only in unit without hero.
I mean: I always want to have the possibility to cause injuries to enemy’s troops. Usually I field 2 units of warriors: one bigger with hero/bsb and war banner in which I DON’T put GW and one without hero or at least like sorcerer’s guard WITH GW.
The bigger has got high combat result value and a hero with damaging attacks, so I don’t need S5 in that unit they must stand with 3+ AS - that’s why I don’t equip them with GW. The other unit is used like hammer unit or, in cause of deployment difficults, in a part of the field where i can pass thorugh with them. So I should like that they could be able to front each situations: that’s why I equip them with GW

Itzi-Bitzi :

great weapons are generally best used on units that WILL get the charge and have high initiative.

Ancient History:

great weapons are generally best used on units that WILL get the charge and have high initiative.

Itzi-Bitzi
Initiative means squat because Great Weapons strike last.

Border Reiver:

I tend to have a couple of units of GW equipped CD Warriors hanging around my battleline. When the dragon ogres, or the grail knights come to call, and it just pay to try and turtle up and be nearly unable to hurt the opponent I like the option to say sod the shield, lets hurt some

Alan the evil:

Beastybeastbeats

maybe this could help you

https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/9568

51la5:

In my 1,000 point forse I use a bock of twenty as anvils and a unit of en with great weapons as hammers admittedly I only play bretts but as a general rule I would say orcs or great weaponers and in a big game against a aponents with no shooting bull centaurs.

Groznit Goregut:

What about a small unit of about 10 chaos dwarfs with great weapons used as a hammer unit near a good anvil unit? It would be pretty cheap and a Core unit. Just throw them into the side of something big that hits one of your blocks of 3+ AS chaos dwarf warrior units? Or do we start going into the discussion about how M 3" is just pathetic?

tetnis:

The thing i’d be afraid of with that tactic, Groznit, is that if you’re close enough to flank with the tiny unit, you’re close enough for them to just charge that unit instead. With one rank, you are going to lose combat and get overrun, leaving the chargers behind your lines and ready to hit your artillery while you scramble to deal with them.

Alan the evil:

The best hammer unit is black orks because other CD units don’t panic for them and they are not animous…

But if I want to try to use CD infantry like hammer unit they must have thre ranks and full command with BSB in anvil unit: so they don’t gonna use GW and fight with 3+ armor save for  standing and allowe the flank charge of anvil unit…

I always field, like I said before, unit with BSB and war banner without GW, unit of CD warrior with GW and full command and 8 BO with armour save upgrade and at least a musician, but how I gonna deploy them depend on enemy units: usually I use BO like hammer, sometimes both, other times is better to use BO for protect war machine (sometimes we need this too!!).

Eventually I think about hammer units like:

Few black orks

Lot of CD with full command

And I repeat that they could be the hammer unit but they must not

Not big’uns… they are animous and I don’t like hammers with fragile handle!

Renufus:

I would almost always use Black Orcs over GW warriors or Big-Uns. Why?

-No animosity alone gives them the edge over Big’Uns. Having animosity on a hammer unit just won’t fly. They’re also better armoured, have a better leadership, and ignore panic from other Orcs.

-The extra attack when using 2 choppas over GW armed warriors is invaluable, and they’re slightly faster which is what you need from a hammer unit. They also don’t cause panic in your other CD units which is gold.

Furthermore, you can field them in more manageable sizes than the above two units, being a 5+ unit instead of a 10+. Plus, if you find yourself in one of those rare situations where you’d rather use the GW for S6, you can do that.

Ancre:

How about Ogres ? I read you can use Ogres kingdom units in other armies. Have anyone tried that ? They could do very well as hammer units with their high movement and brute power.

Groznit Goregut:

I think ogres would fill the same role as bull centaurs do. They are both fast and hard hitting. BC are faster, but don’t have impact hits. I guess it dependson which units you use. I’ve always heard that bull ogres are just too lightly armored and don’t have enough going for them to make them worth it. If you went with some of the tougher units, though, you might have better luck.

Renufus:

How about Ogres ? I read you can use Ogres kingdom units in other armies. Have anyone tried that ? They could do very well as hammer units with their high movement and brute power.

Ancre
Ogre Bulls are not a good hammer unit, and as said above Ironguts fill pretty much the same role as Bull Centaurs. True, they're a bit more resilient, but Centaurs are ultimately the better choice for that Rare slot if you're looking for a hammer unit.