[Archive] Have we seen these here, yet?

clam:

… if so, I am sorry - but for the first time in a long time GW is actually doing something I would consider buying!

Anonymouse:

The bear-handler, yes. the rest not yet.

Would this be considered “the right to bare arms” or “the right to arm bears”? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thommy H:

The right to sculpt crappy bear arms, maybe. Why would a bear need an eyepatch anyway? The rest are good. I want to start an Empire army (or at least build a Reiklander Mordheim warband) to use the duellists.

Swissdictator:

I’m a big fan of the duelists. I am seriously considering ordering them, they’ll go well with my Empire army (6E figures)… which I might be playing a lot more in the new edition.

Thommy H:

Yeah, they’d make great unit champions. One of my favourite things about Warhammer in general is how the existence of nebulous things like command groups mean you can find a place for all sorts of crazy miniatures. You can’t really do that so much in 40K.

Swissdictator:

@Thommy: Not really, unless you’re talking a unit like Possessed or something. Thus why I love Chaos in 40k.

Yeah,for my Swordsmen unit champions in my Empire army I use “Sisters of Sigmar” from Mordheim with a hammer and shield. It’s quite nice as the champion is very clear.

Anonymouse:

The right to sculpt crappy bear arms, maybe. Why would a bear need an eyepatch anyway?

Thommy H
Because it's missing an eye? Or because it wants to retain its nightvision?
Not too fond of the way GW is heading these days with their new style of miniatures (duellists look good enough, as does the clerk but the bear and the merchant look... well, not normal)

Thommy H:

Yes, but humans wear eye patches for aesthetic reasons - you put it on to cover your gross, scabby socket. Why would a bear care about that, and why wouldn’t he just claw it off for being annoying? It’s sort of a nice concept (“bear with an eyepatch!”) but it makes no sense when you think about it for more than two seconds.

Khan!:

Yes, but humans wear eye patches for aesthetic reasons - you put it on to cover your gross, scabby socket. Why would a bear care about that, and why wouldn't he just claw it off for being annoying? It's sort of a nice concept ("bear with an eyepatch!") but it makes no sense when you think about it for more than two seconds.

Thommy H
But it's so John Blanche!

I take issue more with the boxing glove than the eye-patch. But I don't find any of these sculpts very exciting - the scribe is ok, but I like the 40k equivalent better. The studio paintjobs don't impress me either, really. Everything seems far too shiny, in my opinion.

wallacer:

I like the scribe the most. He could pass for a wizard without any difficulty.

Loki:

I spotted these at last years games day as greens, its good to see that they are going to be coming out, so often you see cool greens at games day and thats all you ever see or hear of them

Anonymouse:

why wouldn't he just claw it off for being annoying?

Thommy H
Coz he's 35 mm high and inanimate?
Because it's probably why squigs exist, daemons enter from another astral plane and ratmen walk around, or (and this is a shot in the dark) because it looks cool? :)

warh:

I like the bear but not the rest of them.
I’m not such a big fan how Mike Anderson sculpt humans, to cartoony.

GRNDL:

re: bear mascot with eye patch

Its a unit mascot, and as such, people would take pride in its appearance. The eye patch is for esprit de corps - wounded in battle but still supporting the troops. And so the troops don’t see a supperuting empty eye socket…

Thommy H:

No, seriously, it’s daft.

Obsidian:

Don’t like these much, matter of fact a lot of stuff GW put out lately is crap!

cornixt:

I like them a bit, maybe a bit too cartoony but they would certainly add some character.

AGPO:

The right to sculpt crappy bear arms, maybe. Why would a bear need an eyepatch anyway? The rest are good. I want to start an Empire army (or at least build a Reiklander Mordheim warband) to use the duellists.

Thommy H
They suit Marienburg more to my mind... (possibilities)

Border Reiver:

If yo don’t like it Thommy- don’t buy it. But as I do have a Kislev force, the bear will be making an appearance in my army as a way of marking out the Sons of Ursun, or just to bulk out the unit more, take your pick.

Thommy H:

I won’t buy it, obviously. But I’m allowed to express an opinion on a message board. That’s kind of what they’re for.