[Archive] heating plastic GW figures

brotsorrow:

after looking at some threads regarding hobgoblin wolfrider conversions using stormvermin bodies and a question came to mind - has anyone used heat to modify a plastic GW figure?

For example the armour/skirt on one of the model’s would look more natural on the wolf if it was “bent” forward to lay on top of the wolf’s back.

Also, I am not very good with green stuff - yet, so letting me know to just “green stuff” the armour forward isn’t an option at my current skill level

Thanks guys

GRNDL:

I don’t think you’d need to heat it, just bend it enough to stress the plastic. An alternative is to cut a slight v in the side opposite to the bend, then bend it, then fill in the gap with superglue or even rudimentary green stuff skills. :slight_smile: Heating plastic with a lighter or anything like that may result in more damage than you might want. Very hot water might work too, but really the plastic is malleable enough to bend already.

brotsorrow:

Thank you GRNDL, your advice seems a lot easier than finding an appropriate heat source

snowblizz:

Heating only one part of a plastic model can be tricky. Almost all ways will tend to do the same for the rest of the model. It is at this point you risk releasing stresses in the plastic warping parts. E.g. plastic bases I find will tend to warp if heated.

Heating does make bending easier but you actually need to heat it to fairly high temperatures and if it’s a thick (or structurally sound) part it can be very difficult with “home remedies”. It’s also difficult to get to the point where the part is malleable but your hand isn’t stuck in pot of boiling water… ie it’s difficult to handle, since it’ll be you know hot.

Shimsham:

Yes. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLEY DON’T DO IT!!!

What happens is that the heat tends to make the plastic expand, thus destroying at features. It’s almost like the model has been stung by wasps and starts to swell. By all means experiment with some sprue or unwanted models/spare weapons etc. You might actually find it easier to work with greenstuff, even though you say that you have little experience with it. I think you should just practice with the stuff. I certainly do not recommend heating!

Kera foehunter:

Green stuff is very easy! I’m to much of a klutz ti try to melt a figure with a lighter

brotsorrow:

lol, so what im getting is to not heat a model… :slight_smile:

Can you guys refer any good beginner green stuff tutorials/sites?

brotsorrow:

after looking at some threads regarding hobgoblin wolfrider conversions using stormvermin bodies and a question came to mind - has anyone used heat to modify a plastic GW figure?

For example the armour/skirt on one of the model’s would look more natural on the wolf if it was “bent” forward to lay on top of the wolf’s back.

Also, I am not very good with green stuff - yet, so letting me know to just “green stuff” the armour forward isn’t an option at my current skill level

Thanks guys

GRNDL:

I don’t think you’d need to heat it, just bend it enough to stress the plastic. An alternative is to cut a slight v in the side opposite to the bend, then bend it, then fill in the gap with superglue or even rudimentary green stuff skills. :slight_smile: Heating plastic with a lighter or anything like that may result in more damage than you might want. Very hot water might work too, but really the plastic is malleable enough to bend already.

brotsorrow:

Thank you GRNDL, your advice seems a lot easier than finding an appropriate heat source

Groznit Goregut:

I have boiled minis to bend the entire thing. I’ve used hair dryers to hit large portions. I’ve not tried it on a very small part, though. Not recommended.

AGPO:

Heating a model works just fine if done right, however it takes a lot of practice and mistakes can be costly. I suggest you google ‘salt-dipping’ which is the most effective technique I’ve come across. The Bolter and Chainsword had a very good tutorial a while back, which is probably still in their tutorials section somewhere. The best piece of advice I can give you is to practice on sprues first, then spare bits you have no intention of using. Once you’ve got the technique down you can have a go on the actual model. Good luck!

snowblizz:

Heating only one part of a plastic model can be tricky. Almost all ways will tend to do the same for the rest of the model. It is at this point you risk releasing stresses in the plastic warping parts. E.g. plastic bases I find will tend to warp if heated.

Heating does make bending easier but you actually need to heat it to fairly high temperatures and if it’s a thick (or structurally sound) part it can be very difficult with “home remedies”. It’s also difficult to get to the point where the part is malleable but your hand isn’t stuck in pot of boiling water… ie it’s difficult to handle, since it’ll be you know hot.

Shimsham:

Yes. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLEY DON’T DO IT!!!

What happens is that the heat tends to make the plastic expand, thus destroying at features. It’s almost like the model has been stung by wasps and starts to swell. By all means experiment with some sprue or unwanted models/spare weapons etc. You might actually find it easier to work with greenstuff, even though you say that you have little experience with it. I think you should just practice with the stuff. I certainly do not recommend heating!

Kera foehunter:

Green stuff is very easy! I’m to much of a klutz ti try to melt a figure with a lighter