[Archive] Help needed for games day big hat

Loki:

I am going to be entering a big hat in to golden daemon this year at the UKs games day in September, i have the model and i can paint but where i fall down is bases, i am no good at show bases and would love advice to make my big hat stand out,

This is the big hat that i am entering he is still a wip and some way from being done

[attachment=1240]

i also have the banner poles for him but not sure how to proceed as i don�?Tt have any banners i was think of cutting of the poles and just sticking the round bit to his back

Bassman:

Hi, good luck with golden demon. It would be great to see CDs in Golden Demon. :slight_smile:

I’d suggest you to keep the poles, banner are great for free hands. You can show you painting skills, otherwise you do not have great space in your mini. You’ll be dwarfed (mmmmh, sorry for the bad joke :expressionless: ) by bigger minis.

You can use thin plasticard as banners. It’s easy to work with.

If you can sculpt a pillar, like a monlith sculpetd with evil images of CDs. like faces here

Chaos Dwarf Mining Complex (Update 22 2/2/2016)

Kera foehunter:

well if you have a large enough bace have a hobgoblin carry the banner

since you have a cool idea of the bace have the hobgoblin climing up behind him

with the banner !! if it a single figure contest just plant the banner next to the cd

Loki:

thanks for the advice i will stick with the banner poles, sorry to say Kera but its just single model entry so no goblin or that would have looked cool, i have been able to find some dark elf banners that i think will work well on the model will post some pics when i get it started

Bassman:

The new corsair banners could work fine.

Loki:

those are the ones that i am going to use :slight_smile: i will have them both facing back so it looks like there is a wind rather then having them facing out to each side

Kera foehunter:

• Kera gives Loki a hug for good luck*

Grimstonefire:

Best advice I can give is to paint him similar to this standard (as it’s the same model and it happened to win a gold ;))

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/images/chaos-dwarf_france-golden-demon-2003_gold.jpg

I’d put him on a 40mm round base for a start, or make his base part of a larger display base.  Dwarfs always suffer at GD because they are small models.  So you really have to make everything perfect.

A cloak would give you a great opportunity to do some freehand painting.

Loki:

Thanks for the hug Kera i know that i will do well now :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice Grimstonefire, i was looking at painting the banners in a similar way to which Ishkur’s Chaos Dwarf Army is painted as my army is based on a very similar colour scheme as his with the dark reds and black

Loki:

Has been some time from my last update but i have been busy, after spending weeks hunting for some cork to make a base (south east England does not seem to have any, any where) a good friend of mine was able to find some kicking around in his loft so i have now been able to make a start on the base, i have also finished the big hat but am still working on his back banners which i will have blowing back behind him rather than to either side like the classic banners as i want to create the effect that he is standing facing a strong wind.  

Big Hat

[attachment=1329]

the base

[attachment=1330]

this is not finished just yet the black area at the bottom i am going to paint as lava but as i have never done this before so i will be doing some practise ones first rather than just slapping it on the golden daemon base first.

and last but not least my back banners which need loads of work on them

Bassman:

Cool, I really like the eyes, even if they do not look evil. I think that not every evil character should look like a crazy twisted mind afterall :hat off .

Being a GD entry I’d add a little bit of depth. It could be the light of pics but your metals look a little flat. Some washes could help.

You can also add some blending to the red. I do not pretend to be an example but if you check my blunderbusses’ hats you got what I mean. :slight_smile:

Base looks OK but it’s too early for criticism. :slight_smile:

Looking forward for more pics :hat off

Loki:

thanks Bassman :slight_smile:

it is the light it really flattens the image but its also the only good way of taking the photo as if i use the flash it just bleaches it out to much, the whole model has been washed with devlan mud and then has been highlighted up using it original colours, so there is depth there you just cant see it due to the light :~

hoping to do some work on the base tonight so i hope to have some more pics up soon :slight_smile:

snowblizz:

thanks Bassman :)

it is the light it really flattens the image but its also the only good way of taking the photo as if i use the flash it just bleaches it out to much, the whole model has been washed with devlan mud and then has been highlighted up using it original colours, so there is depth there you just cant see it due to the light :~

hoping to do some work on the base tonight so i hope to have some more pics up soon :)

Loki
Don't worry, when it gets into WD we'll all get to see the pretty pictures taken professionally.:)
What am I being too optimistic?

Loki:

hell no snowblizz i like it :slight_smile:

come to think of it it will look really sweet on the big screen when i pick up the slayer sword :smiley:

Grimstonefire:

I think you need to take the contrast up another level.  Many areas could do with a brighter highlight, and the scale armour needs to be toned down a bit (keeping the highlights as they currently are).

I’ve quickly done where I think you need to focus on highlighting.  On the skin parts the pink represents more shading needed. I used colours that would stand out :wink: Using green would not be a good idea…

Generally you need the highlights to look as bright in real life as they do with your flash photo.

Loki:

Thank you very much for the advice Grimstonefire , i have booked a painting lesson at my local gw store to help me with the high lights and shading as these are some thing that i dont normally do as i dont really paint for show, but i want to make this big hat the best that he can be and do the site proud when we go to games day :slight_smile:

fondu77:

I LOVE THE STONE U USE.

make lava fall down the littles holes.

And rats running away.

Dead body at the bottom

add some wood !!!

Gonna be a gorgeous one !!

Loki:

Thanks fondu77

the rock is just some cork that i hacked at with a knife to create the effect. had not thought about haveing any laza runnig out of the holes but i think i will look in to that as its a good idea so thank for that one :slight_smile:

i could have it running down and then have if falling in to the lava pool at the bottom like a water fall effect

fondu77:

water fall was my thought ! thanks for understood

Loki:

Have finaly been able to get a painting leason at my local store and this is what i have been able to do so far, i have another one booked for friday so will post some more up then :slight_smile:

[attachment=1475]

[attachment=1476]