[Archive] Help needed for games day big hat

jolpis:

http://tutorials.darkartminiatures.com/lavapaintguide.html use this. nad you could give the face some depth.

my advice is that you take whatever face color you use and mix it up with a little black and paint i to and area that is abit sunken in and i would make the ink area around his eyes smaller

Grimstonefire:

You need to go a shade lighter with the brass areas, possibly doing a mix of brazen brass and shining gold for the bigger areas (leaving an area of the existing colour), then shining gold alone for the highlights. Depending on the level of contrast you could dull down a few bits with a thinned wash of brown ink.

Loki:

@ jolpis thanks for the link i have my face painting leason on friday so i will put that to good use thanks you :slight_smile:

@ Grimstonefire, the brass has been highlighted up to burnished gold using a mix of dwarf bronze , then shining gold dwarf bronze mix then a high light of burnished gold over all of this , i am not sure if the picture really shows this well though, thaks for the advice i will give it a go on another model and see how it comes out m

my thanks to all :hat off

Willmark:

You have definately done a good job with this;however I wonder about the size of the base. When I look at it my eyes are drawn to all that space.

Kera foehunter:

that look great !! sorry i miss some of the post but it look great!!

nice colors and base !

Loki:

Have just got back from my latest painting lesson in which i have got the skin done and the lava base now :slight_smile:

@ Willmark, the base is a large one but in the UK games days unless you have a base 5 time the size of the model or a stand 10 times the model size the judges are not interested, the cd will have to big dark elf banners on the banner poles to draw you in the the model.

@Kera, many thanks for the positive support as always

latest pics    

[attachment=1487]

[attachment=1488]

I have some more close up picks of the skin if people are interested but can post as file size is to big but if you want to see them pm me your email address and i will send them over .

Ok the next bit i need help with is what to put on my larger base (see pic below) i am going to get a brass plate engraved to say something the question is what ? 5 slaves to the best idea

Kera foehunter:

how about

chaos dwarfs we still stand alone!!

jolpis:

love that one!, or maybey gw get of your bums and get us a new armybook

Ancre:

Cool looking model ! I hope you will win something with it.

For the engraved plate, I was thinking of something more sober, like

DAWI ZHARR
DWARF OF FIRE

which is explanatory & sounds cool.

Edit : and add a hashut rune ?

Loki:

Thanks for the ideas every one please keep them coming, i had a good one yesterday from a friend at my local club which was

" We Are Coming "

I like the idea of a rune of Hashut Ancre i will have to see if they can do that :slight_smile:

still more work to be done on the model’s base and standards which i plan to work on next so watch this space :slight_smile:

Loki:

I know it has been ages my have finally got him finished :slight_smile:

The banners took a full day to paint, i lost the feeling in my legs i was sat down so long painting these in my local gw store, but am so happy with them as these are the first banners that i have ever painted free hand, ( and they will be the last lol :slight_smile: ) the inside sides both have the rune of Hashut on them which you might be able to see a little of in these pics, all that is left to do now is get the small brass plate made up for the base and then games day here i come , so if Hashut smiles on me the final here i come :slight_smile:

[attachment=1636]

[attachment=1635]

tjub:

The banners looks great, maybe just a thin highlight on the black? But its a great model… :slight_smile:

Grimstonefire:

I think you still need a further highlight on all the gold, and a little on the edges of the banners.

The anvil might look a little better being darker blended to the current colour?  The skull needs more shading.

Overall though a good effort.  I will look forwards to seeing a CD there. :hat off

This far away from the day there is still time for improvements.  I’ve got 3 entries to paint and I haven’t started any yet!

GRNDL:

The model is very nice, but I have a comment. The banner seems to have too much negative space at the bottom. If you do something similar to what you have at the top of the banner it will fill the negative space and feel more balanced. That large area of red draws the eye very quickly, you need something to break it up, IMO. Otherwise, you have a very fine entry!

Loki:

Thanks every one :slight_smile:

@ Tjub i will add a black line to the edges of the banner and around the skull to make them stand out more.

@ Grim The gold is burnished gold so it is very light its just the photos that make it look darker than it really is, how would you suggest for making the anvil better ?

@ Grundl, What would you suggest ? 2 more stars coming off from it at the bottom ?

Thanks for the feed back and advice every one it is greatly appreciated :hat off

clam:

awesome entry - hope it does well :smiley:

- but I have to agree with GRNDL! Placing the anvil in the middle and ‘just’ add more details to the top - makes it look a bit unbalanced - and I think you gave answer to the question youself, by surgesting more stars at the buttom - you might even considering adding 3.

And skintone - how the

Bassman:

It’s nice to see how fine Dark Elf banners work with our hero.

You made a great job with free-hands I second people tellin’ you shall add more depth to the anvil and decporations… why not thunders from the bottom of the anvil? some arrows could work the same…

GRNDL:

@Loki

Yeah, the stars should work fine - anything would do really. I would go with the stars, but I’d like to point out that its not a case of making it symmetrical (although that would work) but just making the design seem centred in the banner. Making it work compositionally.

Its a very nice model. Very inspiring. I’m going to have to look for this model on Ebay now. Hehehhe. /sigh

Loki:

@ clam thanks mate, the skin colour was made using a mix of scorched brown and tanned flesh as a base coat then add in dwarf flesh for each highlight and then for the final add some bleached bone in to the mix :slight_smile:

@ Bassman thanks alot i think i am doing to go with the stars like a the top to tie it all in

@ Clam thanks for the advice mate, also so glad that my model ahs been able to inspire you, good hunting on ebay mine cost £24 buy it now and with free posting

Kera foehunter:

I like the banners !!* Kera Gives Loki a kiss on the cheek for good luck **

Now go win the contest Loki