[Archive] Help needed with Milliput!

Bassman:

Hello,

last week I found in an hobby store a putty caled Milliput, produced in Wales.

I decided to give a try as it look nice and quite cheap, I got the quality Superfine. The one with two almost similar putties… light yellow and white.

Today I decided to try and mixed the two putties when… they dirtied everything they touched! My fingers turned white and every tool was dirtied! :h

Is it normal? Have you any experienced with Milliput superfine?

Any suggestion?

Now the piece (a big hat) is wainting to cure but I do not know what to do with the putty as it is really annoyng ot work with.

I felt really easy to get smooth surfaces even with a few drops of water but it dirtied everything and was not easy to work with sculpting tools as the white water covered every details…

I think I’ll go back to “classic” green stuff and use remaining putty for bulk of bodies and big parts, to use as a core for big sculpting projects.

What do you think? Did you tried it yet?

Than kyou in advance,

Bassman

Obsidian:

I have the stuff as well and as you found it isn’t easy to work with! I now primarily use it to make slate with for scenery and bases and when I need to bulk out a body. (afterwards I do the detailing with GS)

So no, for mini making I do not recommend it as it’s:

-not for fine detailing

-makes everything dirty

-can crumble once dry (sometimes you see bursts appearing)

I now stick with GS, BS and a mix of the two, Magic Sculpt.

Servius:

I use Milliput occasionally… Superfine is the stuff… and yes its messy. I tend to only use it on large things like full sculpts or basing. and I tend to cut it with epoxy putty blue/green… usually about 25% Milli, 20% yellow and 30% blue… it gets a nice consistency going but make sure to mix both separately before mixing them together as it will destroy the catalyzing reaction of the epoxy. It will be a little less messy and will extend the availability of your expensive greenstuff. It is very smooth… also make sure when sculpting to use purified water or vapor reclaimed water… as any impurities in the water you use can be left in the putty causing problems later with primer and paint sticking to the area.also be sparing with the water as milliput is very absorbent and will take forever to dry… and will not be solid and prone to cracking.

Baggronor:

I use it to make the inner core of large sculpts (just the basic blobby shape over the wire frame) and to build up bases and so forth. Its no real use for fine detail, and the messiness is very annoying. Good for anything you don’t want to waste large quantities of green stuff on though.

cornixt:

The superfine I got was really messy, and a few scuplts never actually hardened completely. Never had such problems with regular milliput, although that is grainy and poor for miniatures. I only use regular greenstuff (you can get huge cheap rolls from Heresy Miniatures) for scuplting things on minis, and Fimo/sculpy for complete sculpts (which is much cheaper and very good but must be hardened in an oven, so no plastic of white metal bits can be attached)

Bassman:

Thank you guys. I believed my milliput was old… now I understand thi is its peculiar behaviour.

My big hat completely harden now and it is fine but it will be covered almost completely by green stuff so I do not think I’ll have more problems. Does gs stick on milliput?

I do not know what I’m going to do with the rest of milliput but I’ll never use it for sculpting… maybe the bulk of some figures or massive production of big hats…

:hat

I’m going to USA in January and I’ll get some tons of Brown Stuff there at cheap price… :smiley:

Thank you again,

Bassman

WarplockMonkey:

As for me, i swear by the stuff!

Just about 70-80% of ALL my sculpts are made from milliput,or a mix of milli and GS. It’s cheap, easily obtainable and its easy to smooth out

You just need a little practice, and remember to use lots of water or white spirit to smooth out :slight_smile:

- Warplock

GRNDL:

Personally I’d avoid the use of Milliput like the plague. I’ve never tried the Superfine stuff simply because its nigh on impossible to get in my area. I grew up using Milliput in the UK and never had fun with it. Personally, if you’re only going to use it for bulking out or armatures, you might as well go with something like Aves ApoxieSculpt, where a few dollars more can get you a whole whack of decent putty.

Kera foehunter:

Thank you guys. I believed my milliput was old... now I understand thi is its peculiar behaviour.
My big hat completely harden now and it is fine but it will be covered almost completely by green stuff so I do not think I'll have more problems. Does gs stick on milliput?
I do not know what I'm going to do with the rest of milliput but I'll never use it for sculpting.. maybe the bulk of some figures or massive production of big hats....
:hat

I'm going to USA in January and I'll get some tons of Brown Stuff there at cheap price... :D

Thank you again,
Bassman

Bassman
Kera get a plan to buy all the brown stuff up in December in the U S.

Bassman:

This is a nice idea. I’m going to buy online from us, send them to my sister’s in California and get them in january when I’ll fly there to see my lil evil dwarves (i.e. my nephews :slight_smile: )

About milliput: green stuff sticks on it! You can find the big hat in my GHX entry… if you can spot it :wink:

nitroglysarine:

I think the stuff is great for bulking up between the wire frame work and the final detaining with green stuff.

i think i’ve used it before and it was like a fine hairy paste?