[Archive] Help with 40k

Thane Godri GoblinSlayer:

So I need some help with a list from the 40k members and advice. I am going to a 40k apocalypse tournament, but I don’t have enough points so I am going to be placed on a team of some other guy who doesn’t have enough points.

So it should look like this, I will run a 1,500 point list and he will run one. This will be my list:

HQ

Grandmaster HQ Squad

Grandmaster: daemonhammer, scourging, frag grenades, krak grenades 198 points

Retinue: 4 terminators 184 points

ELITES

TROOPS

Grey Knight Squad 1

Justicar with force weapon and storm bolter, 3 models have force weapons and storm bolters, 1 model has a psycannon and force weapon

Total 175 points

Grey Knight Squad 2

Justicar with force weapon and storm bolter, 3 models have force weapons and storm bolters, 1 model has an incinerator.

Total: 165 points

Imperial Guard Squad 1

9 Guardsmen, 1 Sergeant; 1 Grenade Launcher, 1 Autocannon.

Total: 83 points

Imperial Guard Squad 2

Imperial Guard Squad 3

Imperial Guard Squad 4

HEAVY SUPPORT

Dreagnought: multi melta and close combat weapon. Blessed 130 points

FAST ATTACK

Total: 1,204

My main concern is it has some weaknesses:

1: No tanks, except for perhaps a dreadnought which isn’t to good against other tanks. Mainly an infantry attacker.

2: Infantry based: no transports at all, because I don’t have any vehicles yet. So they can get shot to pieces, which is why I have several squads, although they aren’t very mobile.

3. I have 296 points left to spend, what should I spend it on? I was thinking of getting some heavy weapon teams from the Imperial guard or something more useful. Or I was thinking of getting an inquisitor lord with a highly shooty retinue that would be supported by the terminators.

Pyro Stick:

How about a Purgation Squad? Or do you not have enough models? Have you considered buying an Orbital Strike?

Well I don’t really have many models, but I have some money and am going to pick up several this week.

Actually I need to buy some more IG LOL. I completely forgot about orbital strikes so that may be helpful against those nasty tanks. I was really hoping I get put on somebody’s team who takes a lot of tanks cause that would really help.

For models I have quite a few ork ones that commonly make there way into my inquisitor retinue. And I can always buy more as mentioned above.

snowblizz:

Apocalypse tournament? :o

That’s fairly insane…

FWIW the infantry force is sorta out of luck. It depends a bit on your ability to take strategems, there’s one or two you could use to good effect, e.g. the that allows you to relocate.

You can make Grey Knights teleport right? Take as many of those as you can and consider buying Droppods. (Apocalypse should mean you don’t have to worry about Force Org charts)

Bring a Psychic Hood, yours is unlimited range and will mess good with enemy psychers.

It really depends on what rules they use, e.g. only Troops should be able to hold objectives in 5th ed Apocalypse games which improves the role of infantry. And of course the size of table. Commonly in Apoc games infantry loose out as they’ll be stranded quite far from the enemy.

Infantry shouldn’t be left out to bad, since it is only 3k points. Although you can bring pretty mean stuff. I will email the guy about rule questions and such.

Pyro Stick:

Drop some of the imperial guard (by IG do you mean Stormtroopers?) and get Terminators. They can deep strike and they are absolute tanks. A vindicare assassin is also an excellent choice. I never play without one.

Drop some of the imperial guard (by IG do you mean Stormtroopers?) and get Terminators. They can deep strike and they are absolute tanks. A vindicare assassin is also an excellent choice. I never play without one.

Pyro Stick
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for your advice :hat off I will report how the battles go and the full list when I play. Any other advice is accepted as well.

Fallen246:

If you get an orbital strike, a sneaky tactic is to make it’s target a river spanning the entire board… :stuck_out_tongue:

Other than that I got no advice really…