[Archive] High Priest / Lammassu in 8th Ed

elrodogg:

So I played in a tournament this past weekend with the indy gt list.  I found that alot of times, the HP was forced to be in a position he didn’t want to be in (like when Grom killed him because he was in a unit that couldn’t afford to flee).  He needs a bunker unit for protection, but with the 8th ed forcing units to keep an inch away, it’s tough to move him out of harm’s way (especially with the whole when a character joins a unit it can’t move anymore rule).  Plus, you want him giving his leadership to hobgobbos/rabble for steadfast checks, so he can’t be that far removed from the front lines.

How to combat this?  Lammassu.  Reason being that it’s flying.  It has a generally low profile (great for TLOS).  It grants MR2 (which when stacked with the 4+ ward offers great protection from death sniper spells).  The Lammassu also has an ini of 3 and a strength of 5, which help protect the HP from spells like dwellers below, purple sun, etc.  18" range for inspiring presense certainly doesn’t hurt either.

Of course, you could almost field an entire other level 4 for the cost of a lammassu.  

What are other people’s thoughts?

Spikes:

So I played in a tournament this past weekend with the indy gt list.  I found that alot of times, the HP was forced to be in a position he didn't want to be in (like when Grom killed him because he was in a unit that couldn't afford to flee).  He needs a bunker unit for protection, but with the 8th ed forcing units to keep an inch away, it's tough to move him out of harm's way (especially with the whole when a character joins a unit it can't move anymore rule).  Plus, you want him giving his leadership to hobgobbos/rabble for steadfast checks, so he can't be that far removed from the front lines.  

How to combat this?  Lammassu.  Reason being that it's flying.  It has a generally low profile (great for TLOS).  It grants MR2 (which when stacked with the 4+ ward offers great protection from death sniper spells).  The Lammassu also has an ini of 3 and a strength of 5, which help protect the HP from spells like dwellers below, purple sun, etc.  18" range for inspiring presense certainly doesn't hurt either.

Of course, you could almost field an entire other level 4 for the cost of a lammassu.  

What are other people's thoughts?

elrodogg
I don't go SO magic heavy.

Two regular sorcerers are usually enough for me. Rest of the points go into troops, warmachines and killy heroes.