[Archive] Hiring CD for things other than finished goods?

Grimstonefire:

Reading Heldenhammer got me thinking about this.

In the book, Alaric basically makes an enormous difference to the Unberogen (Sigmar’s tribe), assisting with developing half decent forges, bridges, buildings etc.  Also writing, farming etc as well.  One dwarf.

Which got me thinking about the barbarian tribes of the north.

Fair enough they are not going to be interested in farming or probably bridges etc, but if a single dwarf could make a big difference to a fledgling Empire, imagine what an army of CD smiths could do to for the northern tribes.

They could use them to make better fortresses, teach the human smiths how to make better blades/ armour (and before anyone says ‘but it will reduce trade’, it won’t because the CD can produce far more at a far higher quality than they will ever be able to).  They could even look at siege towers etc.

Which would all be great for the tribe in question because of the expertise of the CD in all things metal/engineering.

Making one tribe superior may result in loads more slaves heading our way.

Geist:

I really dont think the nature of the chaos dwarf would lend itself to making a better house for anyone they might see as a possible threat or future trade stock. The more effort to take something the less cost productive it becomes. If I build you a stone house that I must latter knock down, that makes my trade all the less profitable. Thats loss/loss. If I sell you a gun and you go enslave some one for me, thats profit/profit.

Samanos:

I really dont think the nature of the chaos dwarf would lend itself to making a better house for anyone they might see as a possible threat or future trade stock.  The more effort to take something the less cost productive it becomes.  If I build you a stone house that I must latter knock down, that makes my trade all the less profitable. Thats loss/loss. If I sell you a gun and you go enslave some one for me, thats profit/profit.

Geist
what geist says. Plus i dont think that many CD would be interested to teach their secret to lesser races, not only for the reasons mentioned above but also because they are not that kind of people. The only thing they have for chaos is contempt despite accepting slaves and trading.

flashgordon:

also, none of the chaos tribes are static anymore, not since the time that skulltaker became a demon. and even then, there was only a couple of the tribes that were static, most a nomadic due to having to hunt migrating grazing animals, so houses that cant be quickly put up and down are of no interest them

Kera foehunter:

Well if there tribal , I don;t think they would take kindly to any invaders.

Mostly strange and short ones. They would not trust Chaos dwarf Because there not men

you have to enslave them:)

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Chaos Dwarves consider all other races as inferior and desire to eliminate them or make slaves of them. Arming them or teaching them how to build bigger/better things seems entirely counter-productive to that goal. I give the idea a big thumbs down, sorry!

Grimbold Blackhammer

Thommy H:

Although they did allegedly teach metallurgy to Orcs. They could have just picked it up from contact with them though - greenskins are pretty adaptable and intuitive like that. Or maybe the Chaos Dwarfs saw the potential advantages in unleashing a horde of technologically proficient barbarians on an unsuspecting world? In either case, it would seem out of character for Chaos Dwarfs to become patrons of one Marauder tribe or another - it would be more beneficial to keep them warring amongst themselves and profit from the occasions when a Champion of Chaos unites them. Installing some sort of client kingdom of humans on the doorstep seems a bit of an odd thing to do.