[Archive] "Historical" CD list (2,000 pts) - needs help [LONG]

Makarion:

Hello!

I’m one of the new kids on the CD block, so to speak.

I’ve got some problems figuring out a list for an upcoming project. In short, I’m trying to use the CD list for a fantasy version of a historical army (the Mughals). I’d like advice on how to tweak things so it’s a viable army in WHFB, without being either cheesy or lackluster - I’d like an entertaining all-comers list.

So, here’s some army restriction I am going to work with:

* There must be at least 1 unit of hobgoblin wolf riders with bows. Not only am I a big fan of steppe nomads, they are also my favourite fantasy race, so that’s an easy choice :). And yes, I realize that S3 missile troops are a bit pointless, but they are still fast cavalry.

* I want 1-2 units of blunderbusses, as the Mughals had their greatest success in the field with matchlock-armed infantry.

* Some artillery is ok, but I really don’t want a gunline army (I know, the blunderbusses don’t have a lot of range, but you get the idea). Babar and Akbar made good use of trebuchets and other siege gear, so I’m not adverse to, say, a single Earthshaker and some Bolt Throwers. I could even explain a Deathrocket as a Chinese import - but is the thing actually useful?

* Oddly enough, magic-heavy is quite tempting to me, right now. Especially Akbar was a very religious man, with a keen interest in the occult - I could see that translate nicely into perhaps the Lore of Shadows - I’d want support / mystical spells more than magic missiles.

* I’m not sold yet on Bull Centaurs as a unit, although they could translate to allied Persian kataphraktoi (or whatever they were called in Farsi - I only recall the Greek phrase; basically, shock cavalry).

* Flying monsters will be about impossible to explain, so I’ll steer away from them for now.

So, with that all in mind, here’s what I have as a rough guess so far…

CD Lord sorceror [325]

Level 4 Lore of Shadow. General [I love it that the caster lord has Ld 10]

Chalice of Darkness, 1 Dispel Scroll, 1 Powerstone

CD sorceror [150]

Level 2 Lore of Metal.

1 Dispel Scroll, 1 Powerstone.

CD Hero [130]

Battle Standard Bearer

Armour of the Forge

Bull Centaur Hero [154]

Great Weapon, Gauntlets of Bazhrakk the Cruel, Armour of Gazrakh

[He seems a steal for his points, and I can use wolf riders to keep him safe until he can hit home]

10 Hobgoblins [20]

10 Hobgoblins [20]

[Screens and decoys, enslaved militia troops]

10 Hobgoblins [170]

Musician

Wolves, bow, Light armour, Shield

18 Chaos Dwarves [216]

Blunderbusses

18 Chaos Dwarves [192]

Full command [joined by the Lord and BSB]

20 Chaos Dwarves [210]

Full command

24 Hobgoblins [106]

Boss [to protect from challenges] [joined by level 2 sorceror]

Light armour, shield

2 Bolt Throwers [60]

2 Bolt Throwers [60]

1 Earthshaker

Thommy H:

There must be at least 1 unit of hobgoblin wolf riders with bows. Not only am I a big fan of steppe nomads, they are also my favourite fantasy race, so that's an easy choice Happy. And yes, I realize that S3 missile troops are a bit pointless, but they are still fast cavalry.
Also the best unit in the game. You don't need to justify taking them: they're really, really good.

Makarion:

There must be at least 1 unit of hobgoblin wolf riders with bows. Not only am I a big fan of steppe nomads, they are also my favourite fantasy race, so that's an easy choice Happy. And yes, I realize that S3 missile troops are a bit pointless, but they are still fast cavalry.
Also the best unit in the game. You don't need to justify taking them: they're really, really good.

Thommy H
I'd be tempted to give the Druchii fast cavalry the honour of the game's best unit, but that's splitting hairs :).

Thommy H:

Having played a game against Dark Elves (featuring two units of Dark Riders) in which my Wolf Riders were instrumental in me massacring them, I would tend to disagree.