[Archive] Hobbit ( the movie

Kera foehunter:

Battle of 5 armys maybe the last movie

If the next one has smaugh

Taurian:

Yeah, I wonder how the breakdown will work as to what parts of the book happen in which movie. With the changes they’ve made, I have to wonder if we’ve even seen the last of Gollum, which should be the case if they did follow the book.

In regards to the lighthearted aspects, this is on the whole darker than the novel–not as dark as I’d like it, but still better. As for the bit with Gollum in the caves, I don’t think that was too lighthearted. It did have comic bit, namely involving Gollum and Smeagol arguing with each other, but even then there was always that subtle undertone of menace lurking. It’s sort of like talking about the Joker from Batman and having a tendency not to take him too seriously, while forgetting that this is the same person who bludgeoned one of Batman’s sidekicks to death with a crowbar. And speaking of which, I think that bordered on the disturbing when Gollum dragged the orc away to eat him, braining him with a rock every time the orc came to and offered feeble resistance, until Gollum finally we saw Bilbo’s sword stop glowing–thus indicating that the orc had finally succumbed to his injuries. I know it seems odd that I would point that out while I didn’t so much as bat an eye when Azog’s forearm was sliced off or other battle injuries occurred, but it stood out with me for some reason.

Also, am I the only one who thought that in that flashback sequence with the battle before the gates of Moria that the one dwarf with a mohawk was a bit of a nod to slayers? I know that it was not as pronounced nor was it died, but you just don’t see references to dwarves with mohawks outside of Warhammer.

The final thing I found out, and only after the film, involved something I noticed when doing some extra research on Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit. I didn’t see it when I was in the theater, but did anyone else notice that Bifur happens to have an axehead imbedded in his forehead? While that may make for a hell of a conversation piece, it can’t be fun sleeping at night with that thing stuck in there.

speedygogo:

I am a huge Hobbit fan because of the Dwarves and have read the book something like 30 times. Needless to say I saw the movie 3 times and absolutely loved it. It is fantastic to see stubborn, bearded midgets on the big screen. I was so giddy, I almost cried.

cornixt:

but did anyone else notice that Bifur happens to have an axehead imbedded in his forehead?

Taurian
Maybe part of a joke. Bifurcation is the act of cutting the body in half (or anything else really)

Vogon:

Also, am I the only one who thought that in that flashback sequence with the battle before the gates of Moria that the one dwarf with a mohawk was a bit of a nod to slayers?  I know that it was not as pronounced nor was it died, but you just don't see references to dwarves with mohawks outside of Warhammer.

Taurian
I too noticed that and my first thought was "Slayer".Overall I really enjoyed the movie (it's been years since I read the book myself) I went to see it with 9 year old twin girls and a 15 year old lad and everyone came out really enthused about the movie but disappointed the next one�?Ts a year away.

I thought that the movie was well paced and did not feel like I was in the cinema for as long as we were. The Dwarf Orc battle at Moria was breath-taking as were the glimpses of Smaug. He�?Ts a whole lot bigger than I thought he�?Td be :)

Can�?Tt wait for the next instalment to come out and I�?Tm pretty sure we�?Tll be getting the DVD when it comes out so we can watch part 1 before we go to see part 2

Cheers

Vogon

Baggronor:

Saw it last weekend.

Awesome. Loved every minute. Best opening to a movie ever, even better than the Two Towers opening - Erebor was fantastic.

Some people seem to be moaning about the changes to the book (like the expanding of Azog’s role and the simplification of the Orc/Dwarf wars for example) but I didn’t see a single change that isn’t for the better in terms of the transition from book to film.

The main worry for me was the use of familiar actors like Ken Stott and James Nesbitt who are very well known in the UK - I was dreading getting flashbacks of crap Detective dramas and Cold Feet every time they were on screen but thankfully they fitted right in.

It’s necessarily going to be more light-hearted than the Lord of the Rings movies, as this is the nature of the source material.
Tbh I didn’t really think it was. The light-hearted parts were fun and silly, the grim parts were super-grim (Thror’s beheading, Gollum smashing that Goblin’s head in with a rock). The companions themselves felt more ‘fantasy’ perhaps (no humans, lots of prosthetics) but the world felt very much the same as the LotR trilogy to me.

This is the first time Dwarves have ever really been given centre-stage in a decent fantasy film, usually they are just stupid comic relief, but this film will do for Dwarves what the LotR trilogy did for Elves. I may be wrong but I think most young people when they hear the term ‘Elves’ no longer think of fairies or gnomes; since LotR, they think of Tolkien’s immortals.

My only complaints are that its not out on DVD until next winter and I have to wait until after that for the next film.

zobo1942:

I saw it last Monday.

I still prefer the LoTR movies, but I thought it was OK - still a lot more ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’-ish than I would have liked, but worth the $8.50.

I just wish the wizards hadn’t acted like they hit the bong before cameras rolled.

fattdex:

$8.50??? Where do you live, 1962?

I saw it in 3d the other day, $24.50. Plus a dollar for glasses. Yay Australia.

zobo1942:

Small town Canada. (2D, 24fps).

Everything was discounted to try to get people into the theatre on New Years Eve - I saw a showing at 3:30pm.

EDIT: Also, the 7pm show was only $6. (That’s the non-3D one)

Kera foehunter:

fattdex
25.50 dollars:o:o:o:o
I hate to see what they charged for Soda

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I liked it! Got to see it as part of my “Christmas Present” from my wife and inlaws…I had to pay for it though…so go figure that one out!

But you guys have said everything I could about it…I did like the Dwarf Mine scene at the begining. Made me think “So this is what the GW “Dwarf Land” should look like!”

@Zobo 1942 - what small town. I’m in High River, Alberta and I own the hobby shop there. We also have a little theatre and I paid $9 to see it. Just wondered if you were in the neighborhood.

zobo1942:

Hi Tarrakk - I live in Penticton, BC (for now). Next time I’m out your way I’ll be sure to stop by!

Xander:

The opening scene with the armored dwarfs was easily my favorite part. They looked like properly proportioned dwarfs unlike the usual lean looking Peter Jackson dwarfs. Strongly looking forward to the battle of five armies.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

My sister lives close by. Would be awesome to see you!

Mr.Hardrada:

Every LOTR/Tolkien books is super mega awesome but…almost all transportation of rings/vengeful dwarves can be accomplished via eagles. Why Gandalf hates using eagles until the last minute is unknown to me. On a more serious note that movie was awesome and seeing the golbin hold was great.

AGPO:

fattdex
It cost me £1.80 for the Savoy in Lenton. Small independent cinema that caters mostly to students.
Every LOTR/Tolkien books is super mega awesome but....almost all transportation of rings/vengeful dwarves can be accomplished via eagles. Why Gandalf hates using eagles until the last minute is unknown to me. On a more serious note that movie was awesome and seeing the golbin hold was great.

Mr.Hardrada
I'll just leave this here...

Thommy H:

Wow, I don’t think anyone ever has mentioned that eagles think on the internet before…

speedygogo:

They have thus far been reluctant to develop the eagles as charcters.  In the books they are like the Ents and are not only sentient but also have their own agenda in middle earth.  Gandalf saved the king of eagles and gets saved by them only because of calling in favors.  Since none of that has been explained, the eagles have become the dues ex machina of the films.  This will only get worse in the Hobbit, as the eagles are once again called in to save the day at the conclusion of the book in the battle of 5 armies.

I suspect that the rise of the necromanser will also be covered.  J.K. Rowling borrowed heavily from Tolkien, almost to the point of plagiarism in the Harry Potter series.  The whole Voldemort ghostly resurrecting idea in the 1st potter film actually comes from Tolkien’s short stories, as does the horrocrux idea- that is what Bilbo’s ring is acting as.  The thing is so many people just read nowadays. Many, if not most people will think that the Movies are copying Harry Potter.  If the animals were represented more accurately the hobbit and LOTR movies, they would seem uncomfortably like the Potter films.  I think that is why there have been very liberal and artistic license taken with the films.  

It is ridiculous how arguably plagerized works need to change to remain original.  However, most still think that the movie John Carter copied Avatar, even though  Edgar Rice Burroughs novel was “A Princess of Mars” was published around 1913-almost 100 yrs before Cameron’s film.  Cameron almost copies burroughs story exactly, with just enough small changes and makes green aliens blue and so forth.

Yup, only in America can the copyright violator get a chokehold on IP that they stole.  GW in some regards is the same type of animal, as they have uh…humm… heavily borrowed from every major Sci-fi and fantasy genre that has ever existed.  The Aquila for example is one of there major IPs.  The problem is the Romans invented it and it has been around for only 2000 years.  At some point people need to be slapped when they try to copyright things that clearly are public domain. I am still awaiting, GW to sue the Terminator franchise for its illegal copying of Necron IP. It doesn’t seem to matter that The Terminator film existed before Necrons did.

fattdex:

fattdex
25.50 dollars:o:o:o:o
I hate to see what they charged for Soda

Kera foehunter
They charge so much you are left wondering if there is rum in it, too.