[Archive] Hobgoblin and Allies: what would you want in a list?

Dead Kennedy:

That proposal was a thought towards making wolf riders mildly specialized. A wolf and hobgoblin would most likely be a lower profile target, compared to a barded warhorse. They would trip mounts, drag them down, and at the same time be evasive. I’ve seen similar rules for camels in the past: camels are supposedly unnerving foes for horses, and I’ve seen that represented as -1 to hit from other cavalry (forget where, honestly). It would also allow for a little more survivability against heavier cavalry foes, which would be a new tactic beyond “run away and bait them”. There are also lots of other fast cavalry with special rules: Marauder Horsemen with their Horselords rule, for example. This is also not intended to be just grafted onto existing versions of the unit, just something that may be useful for future incarnations of it.

Yeah, Beastmen definitely deserve a bit more multiculturalism. I’m all for including Beastmen variants… they don’t just live in the big bad woods. They don’t have to be chaotically influenced, either.

I’d say garden variety trolls and chaos trolls are something native hobgobs could round up, but they’re pretty set in the Warhammer world. Forest trolls are a whole other affair, they’ve always been cool… but Warhammer’s never really downsized and civilized the troll as a race. Hadn’t thought of that.

Hobgoblyn:

There is Thogg the Troll King and his army. At least one person actually put the army together

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53214

Here is a map of the WarHammer World:

http://www.warhammer.rs/maps/World/old%20map2.jpg

Although I am almost certain that Cathay and Khuresh have been switched on this map for some reason. Khuresh is where the Forest Goblins, Skaven, and some Lizardmen live, it is a lush jungle area sort of like Thailand and Cambodia. It is also where we can presume the Vanara live since they live near Cathay. It should be further south than Cathay, certainly not between Cathay and the Eastern Steppes.

The Fimir I think live up in Albion along with Fennbeasts and hedge mages.

The Hobgoblins live in the Eastern Steppes, of course, the Chaos Dwarfs live in the top of the Dark Lands which are filled with all sorts of greenskins with the Orcs & Goblins pouring out into the old world.

The Ogre Kingdoms are in those mountains between the two.

Northern wastes is all Chaos and Trolls and other nasty stuff, the southern part has the Ungols and the Kislev.

Cathay is China, Nippon is Japan, Ind is India (of course) and that’s where the Rakasha live.

Kera foehunter:

Why not horses like the mongols and native American we bread smaller faster horses that can out run the full size horses as fast Calvery and a stonger horse !!you could use the dwarf poney for your model??