[Archive] Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower from BFSP pieces

Tarrakk Blackhand:

After suffering defeat at the hands of my friends Stegadon, I built my final BFSP piece - a Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower.

Here’s the Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower that I made using parts from the Dwarf Grudge Pony Mining Cart, a Tomb Kings Spear, some Evergreen Sheet Styrene and a piece of craft string.

The Battle For Skull Pass Night Goblin Heroes were converted to Hobgoblins by filing down their pointed hats and changing the items that were in their hands into a Bolt and a hammer/crescent wrench combination. The little pot of mushrooms and the Squig were left alone with the exception of removing the mushrooms from the pot using a drill.

Enjoy!

Bassman:

Niiiice. I love the squig hobbo!

Guardian_A:

Nicely done! I currently have two Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers, both conversions using left over bolt thrower bitz from my Lizardmen Stegadon sprues.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I was going tobuild one because a friend chose for me to build the “Engine” for his stegadon…then at last minute decided to have me build the Lizardmen bolt thrower as an additional “Plug in” replacement part for the Stegadon.

Arashi:

Nice conversion TB :wink:

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Here’s two pics of the HBT unpainted and unstringed. It’s my second one.

Here’s the Hobgoblin Bolt thrower without paint or the craft string. The white plastic si Evergreen Sheet Styrene while the grey plastic is various GW pieces which include the Dwarf Pony Cart, Tomb Kings Spear and the crossed bones from an old Vampire Counts Shield.

The back side of the WIP Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower.

GreatEscape_13:

I like the way that the rope looks–too often when people use real string in a conversion it falls a little slack, making the bowstring look feeble… You’re either great at tying knots or know some other trick!

Cheers.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Here’s the trick - First off, use Craft String or Craft Thread - the same stuff they use in needlepoint.

Second off, figure out where the top of the rope is suppose to be. On my Bolt Thrower, the rope is in the dragon’s mouth and the longer part, which goes through the thrust plate and to the other dragon’s head, is on the top of the dragon’s head.

Now, feed one side of the rope through the hole form the top down.

Take the rope and loop it three times around the “Neck” part of the dragon’s head. You’re trying to simulate a “Reef Knot”.

Next, put a drop of crazy glue on the underside of the dragon’s head right at the center of the string and make sure the drop touches the plastic.

Allow this to dry and then cut off any spare string that sticks up beyond the neck.

Next, feed the string through the thrust plate and over to the second dragon’s head, making sure the thread will be on the top of the head.

Pull the thread through the dragon’s head hole until it’s tight.

Keeping tension on the thread, loop it around the neck three times and add a second drop of crazy glue to the string on the underside of the neck.

Keeping the tension up on the string, let the glue dry and cut off the excess.

Now your Bolt Thrower has the propper string tension on it forever!