[Archive] Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower Question

monkeigh:

Do hobgoblin bolt throwers suffer from animosity?

Thommy H:

Nope.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Arashi:

No, since animosity only aplies to units of 5+ greenskins (Black orcs not counted).

Groznit Goregut:

Only units with 5 models or more suffer from Animosity. So, if your wolf riders were reduced to 4 models, you wouldn’t have to test anymore! It’s not Unit Strength, but number of models.

Bassman:

Really? I know bolt throwers never test animosity like characters (hobgobbo heroes) but do not know the 5+ rule… this is cool as in last battle I had two units of hobgobbos reduced to 2 and 4 and continued to test animosity… could you confirm where I can find the 5+ rule? :idea

Groznit Goregut:

Sure, the current OnG army book.

two_heads_talking:

Groznit Goregut
Which has absolutely nothing to do with hobgoblins and chaos dwarf unit sizes or anything.

monkeigh:

Thanks for the replies!

Groznit Goregut
Which has absolutely nothing to do with hobgoblins and chaos dwarf unit sizes or anything.

two_heads_talking
DireWolf FAQ

- Hobgoblins suffer Animosity just as a unit of Goblins would in the
Orc & Goblin book. This replaces the animosity rule in Ravening Hordes
(special rule 3).
S. US White Dwarf #250 page 11

Meow Meow

Thommy H:

Yep. Chaos Dwarfs use whatever animosity rules are in the Orcs and Goblins book - it’s been restated in several FAQs.

Bassman:

Groznit Goregut
Oh, yes. I checked page 16 of Orc n' gobbos army book and clearly states that warmachines and units of fewer than five models do not test for animosity.
Thanks a lot, my brave 4 naked hobogobbos are ready to charge freely 40 massed saurus warriors without testing animosity... ehehhehehe :P

Alan the evil:

If I put 3 hobbos heros togheter in a BT they will be animose??

(I don’t say I’m gonna do it :o I just want to understand how they work)

Thommy H:

No, because war machines don’t suffer from animosity.

Bassman:

If I put 3 hobbos heros togheter in a BT they will be animose??
(I don't say I'm gonna do it :o I just want to understand how they work)

Alan the evil
Yes, it's clearly stated warmachines do not suffer from animosity.
Two hogbobbos hero and a bolt thrower? Nice unit :D

Alan the evil:

and 4 survivals of a wider hobbos unit + hobbo hero do they suffer animosity?? (…Am I starting to bother you all? ;))

Thommy H:

As far as I’m aware, Hobgoblin Heroes don’t suffer from animosity anyway.

Alan the evil:

I’m enough sure too that hobbos heros don’t suffer animosity, like units fewer than 5 models.

So:

hero doesn’t suffer it

4 hobbos don’t suffer it

BUT

a hero in an animose unit follows normal animosity rules

BUT

4 hobbos aren’t animose

BUT

joined togheter they are 5 models…

which rule is stronger??

(i vote for NO animosity, but my ideas are not game rules ;P)

Thommy H:

I just had a look in the O&G book: characters in that army are affected too (the Ravening Hordes list is actually kind of vague about which units are affected, it’s possible to read it such that Sneaky Gitz don’t suffer from it, for example…) so let’s assume that anything with “Hobgoblin” in it follows the rules. According to the animosity rules, characters are bound by the unit they’re with. Alone, since they’re less than five models, they don’t suffer, but if the unit (including the character) consists of 5+ models, they suffer animosity.

So yes: a Hobgoblin Hero with a unit of four Hobgoblins would be affected by animosity.

Willmark:

Ahhh it would be fun to go back to the good olde days (3rd edition)  when Orc armies were testing for Animosity everywhere, most fun stuff to watch.

Servius:

I would have to agree with willmark… Those were the days…

Willmark:

Yah talk about complicated rules it took 15 minutes just to figure out what units had to test!